Enbrel and Tuberculosis Testing Frequency

My husband has been on Enbrel for about 4 years. Now, his Drs want to test him for Tuberculosis every year, which costs us more money. Do the rest of you have to get tested every year? We are going to look for a new Dr if this is not standard protocol, because the Dr group will not deviate from the annual frequency and won't renew his prescription without the test.

Thanks.

I'm not on Enbrel but just had the TB skin test done (1 step complete out of 2). When I called my family doctor they said it's $10 but I couldn't take anymore time off work so I looked around and found a clinic near my work that I could do it during lunch time. When I called they asked why my test was needed. I told them my Rheumy was needing it done for medical reasons. They said I wouldn't be charged for medical reasons. Of course this is Canada, not sure if it's the same anywhere else.

Thanks Jackson. I'm wondering if you will be required to take the test every year. In the U.S. the cost is more, of course, but the inconvenience of having to do it is the main problem.

It may be because there is a higher insidence of TB in your area or maybe some patients in your clinic.. I am on humira and only have had to have one TB test prior to starting bio's. Could be just a money grab who knows? Sorry I can't be more helpful

esaud,

My late baby brother acquired TB from a Chinese girl who was allowed into the country without testing. He sat in front of her in typing class. It is a terrible disease, and the meds are even worse, I know it is an expense, but not a bad idea to keep an eye out for it. Chances are I will have to have it done too, I just started Enbrel.

I wish you well,

SK

II'll be switching to enbrel soon & I was also asked to get the tb test done..i did & it came back negative. After I got it done, the walk in dr told me that there is also a blood test for it and if i need the blood test to come back to him. I asked enliven services if its ok that i got the skin test...and not the blood test...they dont know even though it was them who asked me to get a tb test done. Im confused. It wasnt my dr who told me to get the tb test , it was enliven services. The rep (an RN) at Enliven Services told me she doesnt know right now ..but she'll' do more research and find out for me if the skin test is ok. Does anyone know on here whether the skin test is sufficient or do i need to go back to this dr and get a requistion form to get the blood test done. Anyone knows. The process to get on enbrel is long and frustrating. My dr also took almost 2 weeks to fill out the request for info form frm my insurance company which has delayed the process further. I also had his secretary saying she didnt receive any of the faxes frm enliven services but I think she was just buying herself some time in the beginning, giving the dr time to fill out the form....and then there's enliven services... telling me at the last min that i need the tb test done. yes it is very inconvenient- my husband had to take time off work. i live in a country town and there are no drs here. i dont drive there. I was just in the city last week and the week before and i could have got it done there...yet they cant tell me everything i need earlier. I spent Friday night in a waiting rm of a walk in clinic and this morn at the walk in clinic again so the dr could assess my tb skin test. At least that's done. I just hope I dont have to go back for the blood test. It's 1 hr drive by car. Sorry going off topic.And typing my post too quickly...making mistakes!

I only had a TB test once, about 11 yrs ago before I started my first biologic.

Like SK said though, some areas have higher incidences of TB and it is not something to mess around with.

That makes sense Marietta. Same with me. They told me that I'll just have to take the 1 TB test, prior to starting Enbrel but I am not in a high risk area. Some people who travel to certain areas in the world, are even told to stop taking their enbrel while on their travels.

Its a 10 dollar test (usually free at the county health department) its a huge and growing problem in lots of areas. Its also a disease that will kill you if you get it. The docs don't get commision, they are looking out for you. Skip a coupla supersizes at MickeeD's and make sure he continues to live. There is plenty to worry about for your husband beyond this. Most of it will have an effect on your lives this one won't.

I get mine yearly, but I am in health care. The skin PPD is sufficient, and I think it’s worth it even if you don’t live in a high risk area or work in a high risk profession. Like Lamb said it is becoming a bigger problem than it used to be. More folks are coming into the country from high risk areas and then have an awful habit of actually wanting to visit their families back home in those high risk areas. Strange, I know.

You can be exposed in any public environment and it’s so contagious. Even if I didn’t work in health care, I would not feel safe taking any immunocompromising agent and not getting tested yearly. As they say, a penny of prevention…

The PPD (skin test) should be fine, but based on your particular situation the blood draw might be more practical. With the skin test, you have to go BACK to your doc between 48 and 72 hours after the injection to have the test read. It doesn’t sound like that works out for you at all.

beecreek said:

II'll be switching to enbrel soon & I was also asked to get the tb test done..i did & it came back negative. After I got it done, the walk in dr told me that there is also a blood test for it and if i need the blood test to come back to him. I asked enliven services if its ok that i got the skin test...and not the blood test...they dont know even though it was them who asked me to get a tb test done. Im confused. It wasnt my dr who told me to get the tb test , it was enliven services. The rep (an RN) at Enliven Services told me she doesnt know right now ..but she'll' do more research and find out for me if the skin test is ok. Does anyone know on here whether the skin test is sufficient or do i need to go back to this dr and get a requistion form to get the blood test done. Anyone knows. The process to get on enbrel is long and frustrating. My dr also took almost 2 weeks to fill out the request for info form frm my insurance company which has delayed the process further. I also had his secretary saying she didnt receive any of the faxes frm enliven services but I think she was just buying herself some time in the beginning, giving the dr time to fill out the form....and then there's enliven services... telling me at the last min that i need the tb test done. yes it is very inconvenient- my husband had to take time off work. i live in a country town and there are no drs here. i dont drive there. I was just in the city last week and the week before and i could have got it done there...yet they cant tell me everything i need earlier. I spent Friday night in a waiting rm of a walk in clinic and this morn at the walk in clinic again so the dr could assess my tb skin test. At least that's done. I just hope I dont have to go back for the blood test. It's 1 hr drive by car. Sorry going off topic.And typing my post too quickly...making mistakes!

Thanks GrumpyCat.

GrumpyCat said:

The PPD (skin test) should be fine, but based on your particular situation the blood draw might be more practical. With the skin test, you have to go BACK to your doc between 48 and 72 hours after the injection to have the test read. It doesn't sound like that works out for you at all.

beecreek said:

I have only been tested once, prior to starting biologics 5 years ago. I have been a nurse for so long and had to be tested annually at work. Unfortunately the skin test or PPD comes out some what equivical so then I have to have the blood test which was negative. We use to be tested annually with the Tine Test which exposed us to more of the TB so lots of us older health care workers come back positive on the skin test now. But as everyone else has said it is well worth the time and not much money in the USA. The types of TB we are getting here now need to be taken seriously. They are very scary. My Rheumy has not asked me to be re-tested though now that I am no longer working in Health Care my risk os significantly less.

SK- i am really sorry about your brother. I will keep him in my prayers.

i didnt get a choice. I was told i had to get the TB skin test done prior to starting enbrel. I think my insurance company required it. For me it didnt cost me anything to get the TB skin test because it was medically reasons. I live in Canada. But $10 if u have to pay for it is nothing. Worth it. The world is global.

My husband has had it with all the blood tests and TB tests. They have gone from a one time thing, to annual, and for his last visit which was supposed to be today, they told him he now has to get the TB test and blood test every 6 months. Seems like a money scheme. This is not an area high risk for TB. He works long hours and cannot get the time to do all these tests during the hours testing places are open. So he called the PA (the Dr can't be bothered by Psoriasis patients) yesterday and told them he was done. He is seeing no benefit from the Enbrel that he has been on for several years, and has never gone into remission, so it is not worth the aggravation to continue doing all the tests. He will use up the last of the Enbrel and then just stop. If it gets worse (which I don't see how it can get any worse) he will look for another medical professional that will order less tests. His current PA won't even discuss other meds. It is so sad that it is about money and not a patient's health.

Most of the meds we take require blood chemistry and basic metabolic at frequencies of every 2 days to 6 mos. Its all about the patients health although rare, the side effects and diseases from the meds can be very serious and/or fatal. Failure to do the testing is a serious violation for physicians and can result in loss of privileges, huge fines, and even prison time. if you are concerned about your physician making a money grab for a 10.00 TB test, you haven't apparently looked the rest of you bill.

If I was going to be freaking about anything I'd be freaking about the lack of results from the meds. If you are paying for the TB test, who's paying the 40 grand a year for the meds???? I'd be concerned about those $$$$$

I guess we don't have good insurance because it certainly isn't a $10 test and the meds aren't cheap either. He is concerned about the lack of results, but since the PA doesn't care about that, it is time to move on. Other people in my area do not have to do frequent testing, so I know we can find a better medical professional who is willing to listen to us.

tntlamb said:

Most of the meds we take require blood chemistry and basic metabolic at frequencies of every 2 days to 6 mos. Its all about the patients health although rare, the side effects and diseases from the meds can be very serious and/or fatal. Failure to do the testing is a serious violation for physicians and can result in loss of privileges, huge fines, and even prison time. if you are concerned about your physician making a money grab for a 10.00 TB test, you haven't apparently looked the rest of you bill.

If I was going to be freaking about anything I'd be freaking about the lack of results from the meds. If you are paying for the TB test, who's paying the 40 grand a year for the meds???? I'd be concerned about those $$$$$

Whether it works or not would be my FIRST concern.

To not do the testing is simply malpractice. Incidentally although it varies by state the protocols in my state have changed to annual and require the QuantiFERON-TB Gold test which is NOT the 10 dollar test. If you are exposed, it requires twice a year testing. I have been exposed multiple times.............. (just this week)

esaud said:

I guess we don't have good insurance because it certainly isn't a $10 test and the meds aren't cheap either. He is concerned about the lack of results, but since the PA doesn't care about that, it is time to move on. Other people in my area do not have to do frequent testing, so I know we can find a better medical professional who is willing to listen to us.

My Rheumy and my PC recommend that I have a TB test yearly. I was also given one prior to starting Humira. I was picking up my meds at CVS yesterday and the Minute Clinic was advertising TB testing, available every day, just walk in! I don't know how much they charge, though. It also makes me wonder if TB is on the rise in Georgia.

TB is very much on the rise, to the point of being almost epidemic, especially where there is a large Hispanic Population (migrant) Indian Reservation.The difference is as Michael Said. the new strains are drug resistant and often fatal.