Degenerative disc or facet disease?

It IS interesting that so many of us have DDD.

I was told I have disc disease by my rheumatologist. I also have PA. Is the a relation between the two?

That seems like the million dollar question, doesn't it?

Alara said:

I was told I have disc disease by my rheumatologist. I also have PA. Is the a relation between the two?

Hi Alara,

Who knows, I have them all! My age would have some bearing on disc and facet, I'm pretty sure that may have something to do with it! Can't get older without something wearing out!

Hello Allan,

I must say that with all of this, you seem to be handling it very well, you have come to know your body and what it needs, what works well for you, and that you look on the good side. Thank you for responding, hope to hear from you again.

Allan said:

Sure do. L2/3,L3/4, L4/5, L5/S/1 all showing facet damage, canal stenosis, damage to tendons holding vertebra together. SI joint tendons badly damaged. If I don't do my stretching and strengthening exercises daily I'm in trouble but, boy, they do hurt to do! Usually feel better afterwards though.

pain control is so difficult and the options without side affects are limited so I use the exercise and a range of drugs to help but the level of pain at times is so extreme it makes my heart atrial fibrillate once or twice a month. On the good side the exercise from taking all my medications keeps me fit.

Thanks SK,

I know some of my damage is age related but I'm 66 now and have had severely inflammmmed tendon pains in the lower back from 20yo. PsA just makes the other damage worse.

Would it make you mad if I said that you looked good? LOL! I hope you are having a good night, no pain!

Always accept flattery, thank you. Afternoon here, brilliant winters day and I've just come back from watching whales tail whacking and breaching off the coast. Lifes good

Whale watching was always a favorite past time of mine the 3 years I lived on the W coast. Amazing creatures, I helped my grandson do research on them and their evolution is astounding.

Join us when you can.

A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with bulging disk L4-5 with sciatic pain right side. Had some epidural steroid iinjections, which seemed to do the trick. This was before any diagnosis of arthritis. Last year I started working In a hospital, very physical, and started getting a different pain on right lower back. it mainly hurts when iI move or twist a certain way. Rheumy ordered SI iinjection - didnt help. Had physical therapy - helped a tad. My therapist pinpointed a facet joint. Had an iinjection last week. Not sure if it got the right spot or not. This is the ONE place thet my pain is constant, unlike my regular joint pain, which comes and goes and moves around. I am 37.

Hi swtnursed,

You are so right, it is a pain all of it's own, very different from the others. I cannot remember what number mine is, but the worst area is just above waist level, and in the mid back, so the twisting can be brutal, and if someone pushes on it you are through the ceiling!

Those concrete floors are murder, girl! Hope you are getting some rellief! Nice to hear from you!

SK