New here so I hope I did this right!

Hello from South Louisiana! I just joined last week to find out more about PSA. I came here looking for people who know about PSA because they live with it every day and are the best people to tell me if I am on the right track in thinking I may have PSA or if I am wrong. So here is the rundown, sorry it is so long!::::

Since about 16 yrs old I have had "hip pain" (I am now ::cough cough:: 33) 2 weeks ago my GP said I have Piriformis Syndrome.

Back always hurts but a recent MRI showed me why and these are the results::
MRI that reads as follows:
MRI that reads as follows:
Mild discogenic degenerative disease of the upper through mid thoratic spine,worst at T6-T7 through T8-T9 as detailed above. No significant spinal canal or neural foramen stenosis. Here is the detailed findings..
T1-T2 Subtle annular bulging without significant spinal canal foramen stenosis.
T2-T3 Normal
T3-T4 Annular bulging partially effaces the ventral thecal sac without significant spinal canal or neural foramen stenosis.
T4-T5 and T5-T6 No significant abnormality
T6-T7 Annular bulging with superimposed broad-based right paracentral disc protrusion effaces the right paracentral ventral thecal sac and abuts the right ventral aspect of the thoratic cord which is not significantly displaced.
T7-T8 A small focal right paracentral disc protrusion measures approximately 2x3-4 mm without spinal canal or neural stenosis
T8-T9 A right paracentral disc protrusion similar to at the T6-T7 level nearly effaces the right paracentral ventral thecal sac with abutment of the right ventral thoracic cord at this level which is nondisplaced. No significant spinal canal or neural foramen stenosis.
T9-T10 through T-12 No significant abnormality.

Cervical MRI said spondylosis in C6-C7

I was sent to the ER Sept 30, 2012 by my GP for the worst back spasm I have ever had. I was told they didnt have any meds strong enough to give me, to go to the ER. Man I loved those 2 shots I got! LOL

My fingers play "Who's going to bother her this week!". Last 2 knuckles will hurt and swell up, but not as bad as the pics I have googled.

I have a black line in my right thumb that runs from top to bottom that started 3 years ago with no trauma. And just in the last 4 months I have gotten 3 splinter hemorrhages. But they form more at the top of the nail and grow out. I am not sure if that is how they usually show up or not. Also some of my fingernails have "flattened" out. And in the last couple of years my right toenail has started curling in. My toenail now looks deformed.

Didn't know I had psoriasis in my family until my 13 year old son was diagnosed with scalp psoriasis this year. Started asking my grandmother and she could name family members who had it also.

Just this year I got what looked like a deep ant bite on the bottom of my right foot. It itched so I just had to pop it and clear fluid came out. Gosh was that the wrong thing to do because the itching only got worse!! LOL I have had 3 more after that.

But I do not have the typical psoriasis rash. But what I have always had are blister like sores on the back of my lower leg. They never go away and are always reddish and stand out on my light skin. And I am light because I NEVER wear shorts because of them. This has been since I was about 13. When they start to itch and I scratch it makes a sore and I am embarrassed by them. DR told me it was a form of eczema about 8 years ago and gave me some cream that didn't work.
Well this is long enough so I am going to stop and wait to hear back from you guys on if I am on the right track with PSA.

Thanks,

Ash~

Some of what you describe is familiar to me, other parts not so much. The only way to really know is to visit a Dermatologist and a Rheumatologist. I have inverse and guttate psoriasis, only a really good dermatologist could have diagnosed and at my annual visit she likes to send in her students first to see if they can find it! As an old nurse I do not mind play find the psoriasis on the old lady!! Reminds me a bit of pin the tail on the donkey! Good luck in getting your diagnoses straightened out.

It certainly sounds possible. Have you been to a rheumatologist yet? Have you had any treatment related to your back and hip pain?

Piriformis certainly sounds likley, its pretty easily dx'd, especially with a normal MRI (or at least normal for 40) It certainly would explain the spasm. Have they tried any injections yet? The best of course is 8 weeks of aggresive PT ( same with early PsA) It will take some time to sort out, but the good thing is the initial treatment fo either is pretty much the same NSAIDS and steroids. So at least you won't lose any ground while they sort it out.

You WANT the piriformis. Although the treatment (weight loss and PT) is a literal pain in the a** you can get past it. With PsA its 50 years of it, and always One step behind rarely a step ahead. Good luck and stay in touch. We'll be here.

The Rheumatologist told me I had Fibro last year. I don't even mention this because I don't think this is what I have. When I went last year I did have the black line on my thumb but he said it was probably a mole under my fingernail. The slight pitting was not present then. He did do a test for AR and that was negative. I showed him my upper back Xray from 2011 and he told me it looked fine. That is the same xray I showed to my new GP and she sent me get a MRI 2 weeks ago. My hip will wake me up in pain at nights and I have to grab on to the wall to walk out the room so I don't wake my husband up because at times it puts me in tears. I go numb all the time in both arms and legs and wake up several times a night to switch positions. I used to do wild life rescue for the state but I had to stop. I would be holding a large raptor and when I would feel the numbness coming on I wouldn't have time to put the animal up before I lost control of my hand and would drop them. I have more going on than what I put in my original post, but didn't want to post something that long.. lol

michael in vermont said:

Some of what you describe is familiar to me, other parts not so much. The only way to really know is to visit a Dermatologist and a Rheumatologist. I have inverse and guttate psoriasis, only a really good dermatologist could have diagnosed and at my annual visit she likes to send in her students first to see if they can find it! As an old nurse I do not mind play find the psoriasis on the old lady!! Reminds me a bit of pin the tail on the donkey! Good luck in getting your diagnoses straightened out.

They wanted me to do therapy 3 times a week but I can not afford that. I did go to a Rhummy last year and he told me I had Fibro, but I just don't feel that is what I have. I did take the advise of my current GP and went get a massage therapist to work on my piriformis and that was painful!! lol But I did notice some relief for a couple of days.. She told me most of my back and my piriformis were some of the tightest muscles she had seen in a while.

Stoney said:

It certainly sounds possible. Have you been to a rheumatologist yet? Have you had any treatment related to your back and hip pain?