Covid Vaccine Side effects after 48 hours, Has anyone had similar experience?

Hi, I am in India and I have had PsA for past nine years. I had my first shot of Covid Vaccine (Covaxin) here in India on Wednesday (May 5th), I started feeling side effects after 48 hours such as Body ache and mild fever. Symptoms are similar to a flare, but I am wondering whether this a flare or I have actually contacted Covid?
I checked with my Rheumy, and he told me that it maybe delayed side-effect of vaccination.
Has anyone had symptoms after few days of 1st dose?

P.S: I understand that most of the people on the forum might have gotten different vaccines than what I got here in India, but thought to check. Panicking a bit, since we are in a major Covid wave.

1 Like

You can’t get covid from the vaccine. That said a lot of people are having symptoms that last about 24 hours and usually start to 12 to 24 hours after getting the vaccines. That said, since you were an area with a lot of the virus in the community, it is fully possible that you do have covid. The shot won’t give you protection for another week or so. There have been plenty of cases of people getting covid at around the same time as they got the shot. I would treat yourself as though you have covid and avoid other people and keep your face covered until you are at least 24 hours fever free and feeling better. Hopefully it is just side effects.

3 Likes

Thanks Stoney!! I have isolated myself from my family, for now. Will get Covid test done if fever persists.

3 Likes

Good on you for self-isolating. I know it’s very common to get side effects including those you’ve described with the vaccine (they say 30% of people here report them), but as you say India is in such a massive wave at the moment it is also common to get Covid - the numbers on our incoming flights are around 1 in 8 positive.

(and at this point, I’d like to pause to apologise for our federal government’s appalling way of dealing with this - I am so sorry. If it helps, 2 of 3 Australians strongly disagree with them)

I hope it turns out just side effects for you, let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Thanks Jen. Took a Paracetamol last night, no fever for 14 hours, but still have back pain and Psoriasis has come back overnight.
Still hoping it’s a flare. Let’s see.

2 Likes

The immune response to the Vax seems to set off the PSA a little. Hang in there!

1 Like

Thanks Tamac, Seems like minor flare only. Haven’t had fever for 36 hours now. Pain is also almost gone, just regular PsA stiffness remain.
Never been so happy to get a flare, considering the alternative :wink:

1 Like