Couldn't do my MRI scan today...I freaked out

So not like me to freak out but I did.

My PCP ordered a MRI of my pelvis for the frequent SI pain. I went to the center and after checking in, changing clothes and getting on the table I freaked. The scanner was an older model with a long tube and small opening. As the tech was advancing the table into the tiny tube I told her to forget it. I just couldn't handle being partially in the machine so the thought of 30+ minutes strapped to the table with the scanner tube a few inches from my face was too much.

Anyone else have trouble with the scanner? Whatever happened to open MRI's? Also has anyone had CT's for SI pain? I think if I give it another try I will need to be sedated. ;)

I’ve had a lot of MRIs,I hate them,from the minute it starts I have my eyes closed until I know I’m back out. I concentrate on my breathing and listening to music. It sucks I know.

You can ask for a scrip for xanax or similar, or contact different locations regarding open MRI. Someone was just saying though, that the images may not be the same quality. I don't know how true that is.

Sorry you had a rough time with the MRI. I say do whatever you need to be comfortable. My doc ordered several MRIs that I need to schedule - one for my pelvis, lower back, foot and ankle.

Good luck on with your next MRI,

Frances

I have had MRIs with xanax and without xanax. I will never do an MRI without xanax again. I thought they would be pulling me out with my nails embedded in the tube. It was the noise that sent me over the edge. It sounded like gun fire next to my head. I am not claustrophobic so I thought it would be fine. I had my first MRI (cervical spine) with xanax so I went to the second one (my hip and lumbar spine) without it. Never again. I did it but it was so stressful I could barely walk with my cane to get to the garage. Never again.

Ya, that's what I do. focus on other things. I think it's more important to get the scan done so I face my fears.

Lindseylou said:

I've had a lot of MRIs,I hate them,from the minute it starts I have my eyes closed until I know I'm back out. I concentrate on my breathing and listening to music. It sucks I know.

Thanks for the advice...I think I will ask my doc for some meds and try again but in the "open" machine this time. I usually can manage most medical procedures but this one still makes me anxious. Also nice to know it's a hard test for others too.

I just try to sleep. I wonder why they won't give you Nitrous Oxide.

I had an MRI on my back several weeks ago. I am extremely claustrophobic but then I have a really hard time with medications such as xanax - they make me totally loopy and out of it for a long time, so I won't take them. This MRI was in the open tube and they suggested I go in feet first. It made all the difference in the world. See if that's an option for you.