Cold medicines ok to take with methotrexate?

Alright…so before I started MTX, I had a great immune system. I don’t remember the last time I took cold meds. Usually I can take airborne when I feel something coming on and that’ll kick it. However…I have been on mtx for about a month and the past two or three weeks I’ve felt like I had a sore throat. Not horrible…but definitely bothersome. It has gotten worse the past few days and I feel like it’s about to turn into a cold or just keep getting worse. I searched and saw you shouldn’t have aspirin or ibupro…but in terms of cold meds, what does that leave me? I don’t know anything about cold meds as it is. I’m sure airborne won’t help me out in this case… any help is appreciated!

I have been on mtx for almost 3 months and I have had the same issue for the last month a very sore almost swollen feeling throat, I saw my dr about it and she said everything looked fine, I see my rhumy on Jan 9th and I was going to talk to him about it cause it seems to get worse after I take my MTX, also my rhumey prescribed my ibuprofen it seems to help with my joint pain but I know everyone is diffrent!

Good Luck hope you feel better!

Weird…it says ibuprofen can have a drug interaction… I’m sorry you are having the same problem. I just woke up and the pain is much worse than when I went to sleep. Saturday is my mtx night…def not looking forward to it feeling worse then but it makes sense-- my body pain seems to be worse right after I take mtx too which makes no sense to me. I have an appt in the next week and I’m going to see if the pharmacist can help me tomorrow …I’ll let you know what I hear.

Hope you get some help!

I moved my mtx day to tuesday night, after dinner, and right before bed, Im able to sleep most of the night and wednesday is horrible but then i am better on thursday and my weekends are much better for me and my kids to do whatever we can together.....

Good luck Keep in touch!

The pharmacist said ibuprofen and aspirin increase chances of a stomach bleed so tylenol cold meds are the way to go. Unfortunately… the sore throat turned into a full blown cold AND stomach flu. Miserable. I don’t remember the last time I was sick. I hope I am not sick constantly now… I feel like I’d rather be in pain every day instead…

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to mention that I often have a sore throat, always feeling like I am coming down with a cold and never really do. I often have spoken to my doctor about it. She thinks it is part of my PsA and Fibro, but I have noticed that during the colder months I have it more, and one doctor told me that car heaters are bad for your nose, sinus, and throat, and when I started leaving my heat off of my face per say and open a window while driving it helps, I did not notice where you are from, but here in Quebec it gets cold enough! Just a thought !! Hugs Colleen

@amueller, Are you serious? I was told not to take Ibuprofen/Aspirin or any NSAID with MTX, only Tylenol. It can have a serious interaction. Eeeek!!

I'm just getting over a cold that turned into a sinus infection and a double ear infection - yuck! I know when it first started, NyQuil and Mucinex-D were my best friends. I take Humira, and Leflunomide, Leflunomide works just like MTX in that it blocks the absorption of Folic Acid. I've been on MTX before, as well. My doctor is really good about telling me what I can and cannot take and he has never mentioned cold medication/NyQuil, etc. I guess it really depends on what medications you are mixing though! :)

If the sore throat is the main symptom that is bothering you, I'd suggest trying Luden's throat drops! They taste really good, and they work well too. I hope you feel better soon!!!

amueller said:

I have been on mtx for almost 3 months and I have had the same issue for the last month a very sore almost swollen feeling throat, I saw my dr about it and she said everything looked fine, I see my rhumy on Jan 9th and I was going to talk to him about it cause it seems to get worse after I take my MTX, also my rhumey prescribed my ibuprofen it seems to help with my joint pain but I know everyone is diffrent!

Good Luck hope you feel better!

Suzanne, yes my doctor actually told me that tylenol had no anti inflammatory qualities so it want really helpful to take and that I should stick with aleve…and the ibuprofen that I take rarely I’m going to have to check this out more and ask him about it on Monday whben we meet thanks guys!

@amueller, Meloxicam is an anti-inflammatory that I believe is safe to use with MTX - I did. Have you ever been on that? Might be worth asking about. Good luck at the doctor on Monday. :) :) :)

I take MTX and meloxicam. Can't take any other aleve or ibuprofen when on meloxicam BUT you can take tylenol products for pain (which is good because that's what's in percocet and vicodin.)

Hope this helps,

Carly