Changes in store

After a very eventful year, my meds are slowing. The time has come to move to the heavier meds. I have known it would eventually come, and have been preparing for a new career away from the public and that I could do from home. I have been working toward my masters degree in educationaltechnology and find the timing appropriate. I met with my rheumy yesterday and he told me it was time to start biologics. My family history of Leukemia is a big red flag. We are doing one last battery of tests and possibly even a dna test to try to see if the Leukemia is genetic or not and then we'll make the final decision next month. I admit I am very scared about the decision but it is quickly becoming a quality of life question as opposed to a quantity of life. Currently, I am helping my sister as much as I can and if I cannot move, I cannot help her. Hubby is behind what ever I choice I make. Having the kitty is a deterrent as well however, getting rid of the Mio is not an option to me. He is my baby and the light of my life. It is amazing how quickly this disease can throw your life into turmoil.

I think next year may be the last year for me to teach. If the biologics work, I am still concerned about catching everything my students bring in the building. I see myself slowing every year and have been trying to make adjustments to make things work. I know I am teaching them so much more than others who have working bodies, however, I feel I am not teaching to my full potential and that bothers me.

Long story short, I am going to most likely start biologics next month despite the potential risks. I cannot go on living with shrinking, deteriorating joints while my life is on hold. Something has to change, even if it is my cautiousness. I have too many people who need me.

Spinning Diva! So good to hear from you, and I must say you sound much more settled and sorted than you were before. Good for you. And you’re being pro-active (great step, the new skills!). For me, it came down to quality of life as well, and I am grateful for Enbrel every single day that I wake up feeling energetic and optimistic. And that is most of them, these days!
Sybil is right: in some respects the Biologics are “lighter” than the DMARDs. As very targeted drugs, most people find that they have few, if any, side effects after having had more than enough drama with the DMARDs. Enbrel has been nothing but relief for me.
Don’t be too hasty to make irrevocable decisions until you see what a biologic can do for you. You may be surprised at what a change it makes!

I know the family history must be a concern but the Humira has been a life saver for me thus far.... I wish you the best and hope you will be pleasantly surprised to find it much easier on your system...in regards to side effects....than the DMARDS! :)

How people worry about "biologics"! I've been on Enbrel and then Humira (Enbrel stopped working) I, too, was afraid of the warning about getting some sort of cancer from the Enbrel...I have had Hodgkins Disease two separate times. I asked my oncologist about it, and he said for me to just go for it and start! I was pretty miserable before starting the Enbrel. It is ALL about quality of life and you will probably find that the side effects are minimal. I have never got any more illness since beginning the injections. I had a lot more problems with chemotherapy, but then I worked in a day care center and was sick a lot anyway. I don't know what it takes to get something like that on the label, but from what I have heard, it is not a problem for anybody. I sometimes think it is just there to scare people!

Just get on with your life, and best of luck to you!