Can someone tell me if GERD or acid reflux is associated with PsA?

For years I have had bouts of esophageal spasms, difficulty swallowing with chest pain. It usually went away after a few days. so I have never mentioned it to my family doctor. Today, I remembered to ask her about it. She gave me prilosec to try. I looked online for interactions with my current medications and I found that many people with PsA have GERD. I never considered that my swallowing problem might be related to PsA. Does anyone know more about this or where I can find more information?

The fact that its a side effect of practically every med we take for PsA (except the biologics) probably makes it impossible to know......

I'll talk to my Rheumy on the 24th and post his answer here. I have had the problem off and on for years...before I was diagnosed with PsA, back when I had it and was misdiagnosed :)

tntlamb said:

The fact that its a side effect of practically every med we take for PsA (except the biologics) probably makes it impossible to know......

I didn't get esophageal spasms or GERD until I had been on the NSAID for yoears, mostly Ibuprofen, Naproxene, Celebrex and Diclofenac each for a couple of years. I have had PSA for 30-50 years so I think it is commonly more related to the meds than the disease. I am now on Omeprazole morning and night. I find Naproxene irritates it less than any of them. I am amazed you were able to wait it out for a couple of days. When it happened to me I had to go to the ER for a GI cocktail. I knew it wasn't a heart attack but it hurt so much....... You have a good pain threshold.

I do have a high pain threshold. When I was 22 I was in a near fatal car accident and I have had many injuries and surgeries since. I've also had surgery without anesthesia!!!! I did take Celebrex for about 15 years for what they thought was osteoarthritis. I was just diagnosed with PsA in Sept. of 2011, but I have had it for about 20 years.

michael in vermont said:

I didn't get esophageal spasms or GERD until I had been on the NSAID for yoears, mostly Ibuprofen, Naproxene, Celebrex and Diclofenac each for a couple of years. I have had PSA for 30-50 years so I think it is commonly more related to the meds than the disease. I am now on Omeprazole morning and night. I find Naproxene irritates it less than any of them. I am amazed you were able to wait it out for a couple of days. When it happened to me I had to go to the ER for a GI cocktail. I knew it wasn't a heart attack but it hurt so much....... You have a good pain threshold.

Good point GoMindfully. I had the same thing happen to me long before the NSAIDs were started. I had forgotten about that. It happened after I had a baby too. I'll bet pain does increase gastric secretions.

I’ve been on NSAIDs for years. . . The rule is that if I am taking NSAIDs then I am also taking Prilosec.

I should clarify. . . I don't have reflux. The prilosec is used as a protectant in my case.

Stoney said:

I've been on NSAIDs for years. . . The rule is that if I am taking NSAIDs then I am also taking Prilosec.

Hi Lovemydogs, do you mind me asking the results of your sleep study? I have mine Monday night.

Lovemydogs said:

I don't know about this. I mean sure I can believe a relationship between the two but I told my rheumy that I was taking prilosec daily and have been for about two years. I went to see a gastro dr but he just blew me off. My rheumy says I need a second opinion cuz I shouldn't have to take prilosec daily. Soooooo as soon as I get my sleep study stuff out of the way, I'm going to see a second gastro dr.