Brother Phil

For those interested fellow PsA'er Phil Mickelson is starting off the new year like a beast! He has a six-stroke lead going into tomorrow and is shooting a -24!! PsA has not slowed him down at all. He did seem to struggle a bit right after his diagnoses, but all in all, he's still on top of his game.

Get me the name and number of his Rheumatologist ASAP! Joking aside I would love to know what medicine therapies he is on.

I am so proud of his success. He is an inspiration to us all.

I am glad to see Phil do well. Before I had so many problems, I could walk 18 holes too. Golf was my passion, it still is, but due to a flare I was only able to play a handful of times in 2012. I did get good results with Enbrel, which is what he uses according to the commercial. The only problem, is that family members and friends expect us to be able to do all these things, because Phil is able to. My mother actually said, "Phil has PsA and he seems to be doing just fine walking and playing golf." I would also like to see Phil give to Arthritis research, like he and his wife have done for breast cancer. A golf tournament for charity would raise a ton of money for research.

Well, I have stuck my foot in my mouth, kind of. Phil teamed up with pharmacueitical companies and the Be Joint Smart Coalition to encourage people to get treated early. I think he could do more, but taxes are really high where he lives.

Phil is on Enbrel. He claimed to be back to 100% after only two weeks on the drug. He endorses them on TV.

lucia said:

Get me the name and number of his Rheumatologist ASAP! Joking aside I would love to know what medicine therapies he is on.

I saw Phil at the Masters last year. You would never know that he suffered from this illness. Amazing

I believe that there may be low dose steroids or something else. Maybe Mtx and Enbrel. I knew he was on Enbrel from the commercials. But how could he be in remission so quickly and for so long. He is an inspiration to us but the conception from the commercial is all you need to do is take Enbrel and you are cured.

Agreed totally It does give a very unfair picture about what we all are forced to deal with. I to am a competitive golfer and since I have been in a flare for the last two golf seasons I've missed taking part in tournaments and was lucky to play a handful of times this past summer, with the aid of a golf cart (which I hate using). So even though I know that is recovery is not likely all that it seems to be it stills opens a door of hope that one day I to and get back to the game I love.

For those who want to watch the final round today it begins at 3:00pm ET on NBC.

Agree with garmstro67 that while Phil Mickelson is an awesome inspiration to those with PsA there is a downside too. People now expect me to be able to be like Superman and "leap buildings in a single bound" because I'm currently on Enbrel ! Well guess what...I don't have a team of trainers and the like taking care of me and making sure I get all the correct foods, rest, and all it takes to be 100%. And I'm pretty sure Phil's stress level is not increased by worrying about his finances, whether or not he can get LTD, and if he has enough in the bank to be ok without working. My intent is not bashing him, but to me his situation differs from so many of us. I see his energetic attitude and winning ways and I want to be like Phil ! However my reality is it's 12:30 PM and I just got out of bed because I was to sore to sleep last night, am to tired and achy to move,now I have to go find something to eat, then do the laundry and get the energy to clean a room so my husband can start painting. He's at work right now and I would love to go shovel the snowy driveway (really I always loved to shovel the snow!)so he doesn't have to do it when he gets home but that will never happen today.

So yes, I adore Phil Mickelson for being the spokesperson for Enbrel and us all, but on the other hand we can't be judged next to him ! He was a Superman before and still is. I'm just a "me" trying to get through the week with facing the 3 doctor appointments and 2 PT sessions that are scheduled within 4 days. The closest appointment is 35 minutes away and the longest is 3 hours. The 6 hour driving time with the one visit will do me in for the next day for sure. So to all my family and friends...I take Enbrel but still do not know how to play golf :0} Keep moving Phil and do what you can for PsA !!

Well said Babs. Hang in there this week! One day at a time.

It should be noted that Phil apologized for complaining about California taxes. And in fairness, there are many many people who obtain complete remission from Enbrel and the other treatment options out there. I am one. MTX put me into 100% remission as did Humira. But I see the point about how Phil is really not like many of us common sufferers out there. Still, it's a great story. I see no real negatives in anything Phil has done to this point. He has brought to light a disease that 90% of the population has never heard of.

It’s still his money, that he works for, he is blessed have, and I’m sure grateful for. He may be trying to bring to light that California taxes it wealthy and businesses at such a high rate that they are leaving, and California needs those people there to help it to grow. Just a thought:) so sorry you are in pain. The cold is killing me too. Hopefully i will be approved for Enbrel. I’ll find out tomorrow. 2 months on MTX, prednisone and no better. Blessings to you both!

At the end of the day, he still has to put on his pants, and he still takes 50mg/week of Enbrel like anyone else on that med. I suspect that he's genuinely a huge fan of Enbrel, as am I. Still I can't help contrasting him to Lance Armstrong. Forgetting about the doping, LA launched a huge and effective cancer foundation. He went on charity rides all over the country, I got to go on one with me in 98.

I've had the misfortune (distinction?) to have LA's disease as well as PM's disease. Thankfully mine was caught extremely early and all I had to go through was surgery. I was very appreciative of what LA did towards curing cancer. I suspect that much of the technology and research used to make cancer biologics is similar to the technology used in auto-immune biologics, so LA may have helped us a well.

Maybe PM will launch a charity, but so far he's just a well-paid spokesman for Enbrel.

If I am not mistaken, he has chosen the Arthritis Foundation as his choice.

I am so happy he won! He is an awesome guy and a great family man.

By all accounts Phil is a awesome guy and a great family man. Comparing Phil to lance is absurd. Lance Armstrong is nothing but scum bag while Phil has done much for far too many causes to list here. And that certainly includes PsA.

The Phil Mickelson Foundation (http://philmickelson.com/content.aspx?id=224) is only one part of his giving but was established well before he was Dx'd with PsA, Should he abandon those causes because for some reason arthritis sufferers feel entitled to his giving or have some "right" top direct his giving based on their own bitterness.

Its fascinating that anyone would think he should be redistributing his "wealth" because of a disease.

FWIW PM has flares just like the rest of us. He withdrew from several majors last year forgoing millions in possible winnings and gurantees (he was on the leader board in one) but the majority of his tournament moneys come from gurantees/appearence fees. His disease control comes not only from "drugs" but hours of PT and physical workout (something all of us can benefit from)

His tax issue is real. He is culpable for about 63% of his income because he earns it. While at the same time folks like our recent presidential candidate has MOST of his income exempted.

Are you serious!!!! 63% of his income! OMG, that is insane. I had no idea it was anywhere near that much. A very enlightning reply tnt!

One other thing you will notice is that no where on the PM material is there the "paid spokesman" disclaimer:

http://www.oncoursewithphil.com/

Amgen and Pfizer are active partners in Phils foundation. His fat endoresment $$$ are pretty much all charity bound.

He collects no fees for his Joint Smart or On Course appearances. Pro Golf is unlike proffesional Team Sports. All you have to make a living with is your time....