Biologics and skin cancers

So glad you’re healing just fine. So sorry the car threw your day completely out though along with ‘late’ appointments. And I really so hope no flare showed itself. How is that wonderful cat of yours? Hope he did his snuggle duty and calmed things right down after.

1 Like

So I got pressured to drive up to Los Angeles for our orginizations Christmas party, when we got there we found out there were people down with “food poisoning”, then on further questioning, it turned out to be a norovirus stomach bug going around the campus, you don’t catch food poisoning, unless you get contamiated. I just left and drove home, 5 hour drive for a possible horrible illness, great… They don’t seem to understand about compromised immune systems. I just hope I got out of there in ttime! I should know in a day or two.

So back on topic, eye is healing up nicely, still have a couple of more weeks of putting on the salv.

Merry Christmas everyone!

2 Likes

Looking good Jon!!! Surgeon has done a nice job there!! :smile:
Have a safe and happy Christmas!! xxx

Keeping fingers crossed you missed out on the norovirus… not something anyone needs!!

Wow, that is a beautiful job. I’m glad that things are working out so well.

As soon as this heals, it is chemical burn time on my face, it is called Ingenol mebutate (Picato®), has anyone had this done, it takes 3 days, but really gets the face lit up!

Good grief it looks virtually healed. Wow. And yes I hope you miss out that virus.

So far no stomach virus…

3 Likes

Still haven’t got it, out of 120 people, probably over half have gotten the virus!

Pleased to hear you seem to avoided the virus!! I’m not sure what the incubation time is for that, but if a lot already are having symptoms and you are not, then I’d think you can be fairly certain you escaped it… I sure hope so!!! :slight_smile:

1-2 days incubation, so unless I get it second hand, should be out of the woods.

Just took my first treatment of Picato, I have 3 treatments, doing my nose and forehead. The medication is $1,000 for 3 tiny tubes! Doctor gave me a free sample, “ first ones free”… I am going to be Rudolf the red nose.

1 Like

Good luck with the Picato (I had to google that one :laughing:) Eeek… not cheap stuff… I hope it works well for you!!

If it beats another surgery, I am willing to have a fried face… The most concerning spot is next to a SCC had removed on my nose, they grafted a piece of my ear into the hole, did a great job. The surgeon said even though he got it, any cell can become active skin cancer. I know I can’t lay this at the feet of Remicade, but I think the skin cancer has increased since starting biologics…

For sure!! Avoiding surgery has got to be a good thing :slight_smile:
As for the biologics increasing skin cancers you may be right… my understanding though is that skin cancers are usually a result of damage from sun exposure when we are young that comes out later in life… maybe the biologics do increase the risk of that happening, or maybe we are getting to an age where these things will have come out anyway… I guess it’s kinda another one of those chicken and egg conundrums…
Which ever way it goes it’s great we have the option of treatments!! All the best with it!! Will be keeping fingers crossed for a speedy and full recovery for you!!

Most skin cancer is a result of “Birthday Disease” with PsA you are more susceptible to the effects of the sun mostly because of the P. tThe numbers are skewed but the as we all have P, and are of a certain ageits hard to lay it at the meds feet (MTX an exception as it also increases the “sun effects” But you do have a great surgeon. I’ve looked worse after a few pub experiences in my younger days…

1 Like

What an ordeal you have been through! I had a reoccurrence of squamous cell carcinoma on my thigh after starting biologics. My dad is a melanoma survivor so I am super diligent about dermatologist appointments. I hope you are feeling much better.

Did my last dose of Picato, my face is cooking…

My nose has a couple of spots around the old SCC location, the two spots above my eyebrows are a interesting location…

This new report on Stelera is concerning… https://medicnewsweb.com/new-psoriasis-study/

Picato worked well, all the spots are cleared.

2 Likes

Hi Jon, always something to keep an eye on and a high index of suspicion for, because theory tells us immunosuppressants should make us more susceptible to many sorts of cancer.

Though it’s not my area of expertise, the methodology in that study, quite frankly though, looks pretty cr*p, compared to the two studies the article mentioned (randomized controlled trials) that had been carried out previously and found no link.

Not something to dismiss, but I’ll take it with a very large grain of salt, and discuss it with Rheumy if there are concerns.