Back again

So, I’ve been having extremely bad days lately. They got better for a bit, then my stomach problems came back and I’m so stiff and sore I can’t stand it. I can’t take ibuprofen or anything because of my stomach and haven’t started any new meds since I’m in the process of seeing a new rheum. My hands are almost unbearably painful, my shoulder back and hips. I have tramadol but it usually makes me very dizzy and I can’t stand it. I can’t fall asleep until 3 in the morning then lay awake trying to get comfortable! My husband said to me today after complaining of my hands “you’re going to have to deal with this your whole life, you have to figure out how to get used to it” problem is, how do you get used to this kind of pain? I want to make if better but not sure how. Hopefully getting an appointment with the new dr this week or next, we’ll see. In the meantime, any suggestions for pain relief without NSAIDs? Sorry for the complaining!

For your hands, if the pain is really bad, you can ice. If they are more stiff and sore, why not use heat? You may find help with the "arthritis" gloves, as these provide support and warmth. I've used topical pain relief stuff, but have never had particularly good success. Tiger Balm is my fave, but there are plenty of others.

And no, you don't get used to the pain.

Thanks Stoney, I’ve been using the heat, cold seems worse, I’ll have to try the tiger balm :slight_smile:

My running joke with my rheumy is that if I'm using cold it must be really bad. I have Raynaud's, so the cold is really hard for me to take. If I walk in and announce that I've been icing my hands, she knows what that means. Same for my feet. Actually, that was what made her change my meds last year.

I soak in a hot tub, as hot as I can stand, every night. I put 2 cups of epsom salt in it. I buy the large economy size epsom salt in the pharmacy at Walmart. I do paraffin hand soaks. I apply Salonpas (over the counter) on every tendon or bursitis knot. I use lots of splints and compression garments that I buy over the counter. I hope this helps. On really bad days I use a cane. Good luck.

I have been doing the same thing lately re the 3 am bit and later. Sometimes no sleep at all. The weather patterns have been erratic lately and the pressure goes up and down. I start to panic because I know I need good REM sleep, but don't, just try to work it out any way I can, Open to suggestions. Would like a better bed, mattress is a little broken down, got popped by a spring. Would like to try a hospital bed for adjustment and circulation. A used one with a new mattress would be ok.

I got a new mattress last year hoping it would help but, nothing. My dr was telling me a hospital bed is great so you can adjust, but hey, 28 years old and this is my issue. Me and my husband sleeping in an adjustable bed doesn’t seem like it would work out :slight_smile: good luck to you treasure7

I bought Costco's version of the Tempropediic mattress and it has made all the difference! My husband loves it too.