Apremilast - Anyone on this now? SL-70 Labwork

Hi,

I've looked through the various threads in the past on Otezla (Apremilast) but am looking for an update from anyone using this or has considered it but did not go on it for various reasons.

My rheum is moving me from Enbrel to Otezla because of an abnormal SL-70 test result. Apparently this result shows some risk for developing Scleroderma and certain biologics (Enbrel, Humira, etc.) can trigger/increase the risk of developing Sclero. Otezla does not (as far as they know yet) have the same effect. Anyone had a similar test result and feedback on biologics?

Apologies if I didn't phrase the mechanism/trigger properly.

Thanks

Lorrie

The test is SCL-70, but that is all very odd, not that you had a high test, but that he is blaming Enbrel. When you talk to him have him point you to the source please. Johns Hopkins is just finishing up a study of several of the Biologics being used to treat Sceleroderma (including Enbrel). They have long been used to treat off label and MTX is another standard. I'm not saying he is wrong, I'd like to study his materials. I don't think anyone here is on OTEZLA yet as it has only been approved a few months in the US. While it has some distinct advantages, it had a lot of disadvantages. It was NOT approved for use in Europe, and they will approve most anything. so it being marketed VERY heavily Celgenes survival is dependent on this med.

Hmmm, interesting.. Dang, I read about Otezla on psoriasis.org and thought maybe that would be a good one for me to start out on....pills--YES--no shots!!! The study results didn't look too optimistic, though. I hope there's more discussion and information you requested posted on here. It was also encouraging to read how research is ongoing to understand more about the nervous system/immune system connection.

tntlamb said:

The test is SCL-70, but that is all very odd, not that you had a high test, but that he is blaming Enbrel. When you talk to him have him point you to the source please. Johns Hopkins is just finishing up a study of several of the Biologics being used to treat Sceleroderma (including Enbrel). They have long been used to treat off label and MTX is another standard. I'm not saying he is wrong, I'd like to study his materials. I don't think anyone here is on OTEZLA yet as it has only been approved a few months in the US. While it has some distinct advantages, it had a lot of disadvantages. It was NOT approved for use in Europe, and they will approve most anything. so it being marketed VERY heavily Celgenes survival is dependent on this med.

There have been several threads the last year or two and Smitty was in the trial just enter apremilast in the search.

http://discussion.livingwithpsoriaticarthritis.org/forum/topics/apremilast

Hi, tntlamb,

Just back from the Rheum again. Because of GI issues, doc pulled me off of Otezla and put me on Orencia. I asked why not Remicade and she said it, like Enbrel and Humira, is the same type of drug (TNF something??) and with the scleroderma result we need to go a different direction. Hope this answers your question below.

Lorrie
tntlamb said: