Otezla with Humira?

Hey Everybody!

I've had PsA for 9 years and I've been on through several treatment options. I've been on Methotrexate injections for many years, and Otezla for the last 2 years. My disease is progressing so my Rheumy is going to put me on Humira (I've been on Remicade, Enbrel, and Symponi in the past). She is trying to find data that shows I can be on all 3 at the same time (MTX, Otezla, Humira). Is there anyone out there that has tried this? I have Lupus as well...I'm also on Plaquenil. If anybody has any info to help, that would be great. Also, has anybody tried the newer Cosentyx?

I am not new to this disease, so if I can help with any questions any of you have, please let me know!

I can't speak to this myself, Overcomer, but I am pretty sure that mod Janeatiu is on the Humira/Otezla combo. She's away on business right now, but will be back in a couple of weeks. I'll send her a link to this discussion.

As for Cosentyx. using the search feature at the top right of the page, it doesn't look like we have much expertise or experience in our ranks.

Seenie

Thanks Seenie! I would love to hear from someone who has any experience at all. I appreciate the connection. Have a good one!
Overcomer :slight_smile:

Hi, I am on humira and methotrexate and had otezla added in to the mix last year. My issues were dealing with the side effects of otezla. I saw an improvement in my symptoms when the humira was started, the otezla has been less dramatic and much more of a trade-off with the nausea and diarrhoea.

I am currently on all three (MTX, Humira, and Otezla) and have had no problems with it. Not sure how to help you find the data though. I do know most insurance companies have problems with it because of cost.

Thanks guys…I would really like to try all 3 together since I have progressed through a TNF with MTX in the past. My Rheumy retired and I have been seeing the one that replaced her, but she is fresh out of school and admits that she doesn’t have any experience with using all three so she would prefer not to…even though she’s the one that brought it up. I have a lot going on with having Lupus as well so I am a bit difficult to figure out. I am all for giving it a try. I’ve been on the Otezla for 2 years and it took a while to get over the nausea with it, but I am passed all of that and ready to try something that may work better. I am thinking about finding a new Rheumy, someone a little more seasoned, but as you guys probably know, they’re hard to get appointments with. I’ve been to Mayo in Rochester, Minnesota…4 years ago…and they said to come back anytime I needed to, so my husband thinks we should do that now. It’s just a long way from Tennessee and taking time off from work is hard right now. Maybe I’ll be able to find so clinical data on my own. I appreciate your input! Stay in touch! :slight_smile:

Hey Overcomer!

sounds like you got some great info here that all three (the deluxe treatment?) is possible. I know from my own and others' experience with Otezla that it can be really hard to add into the mix because of the gastric problems that many suffer through. For me the (relatively) short term discomfort (diarrhea, nausea, heartburn--all managed with carefully timed doses of Zantac until the symptoms subsided) were outweighed with a much better sense of well-being. I take Humira weekly and even on that double dose I was starting to slide. But Otezla has really helped as has daily Meloxicam.

I do feel like a bit of a walking dispensary at times. And the occasional bout of random indigestion or nausea from the Otezla can be a little unfortunate, but I'm pretty much back to an active, full and happy life. Last time I bragged about how good I felt I descended into a months-long backslide and extended flare so I'll be careful about saying too much! I still get tired. I still ache when the rain is headed our way. But I'm up to running 3 miles on the treadmill averaging about a 10 1/2 minute mile pace (which is really good for me!!). And I can still walk the next day. I'm in a "step into fitness" challenge at work and I'm getting in 5 miles (10,00 steps) each day. Long and short: Otezla is A-OK with me.