Anyone have any luck with physical therapy?

My primary care doctor is suggesting I give it a try. Just wondering if anyone here has ever tried it? Did it help or make matters worse? I am willing to give it a try but do not want to waste my time or cause myself more pain. I thought about asking my rheumy but I don't see him again till the end of September. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I had good luck wth PT. I believed it helped. When it was time to end they gave me instructions on what xercises to do in a heated pool. I took them to Staples and had it lamenated so I could take them to the pool to refer to. I was able to get a membership at a gym that has a program pool at 88-92 degrees. If I try them in a "cooler" pool my joints lock up. I was able to afford to o it for 560.00 per year which works out to 10/week. About the same as my co-pay for PT.

I see the physio monthly . She keeps tabs on my disease progression ( it always seems to be progressing dang it!) I have strict instruction on what to do and not to do for exercise. It definitely helps me.

My OT’s started a motion and fitness class which is based on Shibashi Tai Chi, all gentle relaxing movements which you do in time to your own breathing…wasn’t sure at first but after a few weeks I noticed improved easier movements, only side effect was a deep feeling of relaxation, so I felt fantastically chilled and full of well being afterwards which wasn’t much of a drawback. The movements are done only as far as your own personal ability let’s you, nothing is forced, some people would do it seated if they needed to…one thing we all did was creak and crack! :slight_smile: I thoughly enjoy doing it at home now and often do it after the worst of my arising stiffness has abated in the cool of the morning, birds singing…a beautiful way to start the day.

Physical therapy, if done well, can be amazingly effective.

i tried it for a few weeks and it definitely helped! I was having a lot of trouble with my neck, shoulders, and upper back. the physical therapist evaluated my posture and gave me a lot of tips on how to position myself to limit the pain. She also taught me several exercises using a band that helped stretch and relax the area. I stopped going mostly because of the co-pay. I would definitely give it a try!! even if you stop going after a few visits, you’ll leave with some relief and knowing how to help the pain on your own.

Its gotta be done well as Andrew said. It is an amazing way to get through a flair, starange as it may seem. If you don't move it, it rusts pure and simple

If I do not incorporate the physical therapy.. into my life.. I think I would be bed-ridden. It is difficult to get out of bed .. and make myself get down on the mat.. to do them.. but it gets me through the day. I feel sooo much better when I do them everyday. That may help... I have both Psa and Fibromyalgia.. so I dont know which one it helps.. but something is better than nothing at all..

I sure hope it helps with your pain.

I have had a wonderful time with water therapy. The physical therapy place I go to has a heated pool with an underwater treadmill and it is awesome. I found a great decrease in joint pain while going too bad I can't go to therapy permanently. Wishing you luck!

It can help especially if you go to a center with a therpy pool for treatment. The warm water therpy pools are wonderful. I use to go when i lived in CA but now I live in WA. I can not find a warm water therpy pool one close to me.

For me, it helped me learn exercises to help with the ROM. I have been to shoulder and hand therapy. I did though have to find someone that understood my condition and I was not there to recover from an injury. I also went to OT to help me understand how to use my hands so I would not put so much strain on them. Good luck!

Where do you live? I never have joined a health club before, but I discovered one nearby that has a shallow warm water pool. I just joined a few months ago and find the gentle water exercise class to help retain muscle strength and flexibility. Also, the Arhritis Foundation has a list of certified arthritis water classes. I took one years ago and loved the exercises, but it was not in a warm pool and was hard on me.

sweet pepper said:

It can help especially if you go to a center with a therpy pool for treatment. The warm water therpy pools are wonderful. I use to go when i lived in CA but now I live in WA. I can not find a warm water therpy pool one close to me.