Anyone have a child with Raynaud's?

Hi All,

I have a three year old that is presenting with signs of Raynaud's. Whenever she is in the tub for awhile (she'd stay in their all night if I let her) her palms and knees are turning blue when she starts to get cold. When I was a kid the same thing would happen to me. The kids in gym class would always joke about my knees and hands turning blue when we had to go outside in the cold-don't even get me started on why we were made to go outside in 30 degree temps with shorts and t-shirts on. I also remember having a lot of pain in my hands and fingers when they would get cold. I've been told I have Raynaud's by a couple different doctors, but nobody has seemed too concerned with it, and honestly I've had bigger issues going on with the PsA so I haven't really bothered with it. A couple years ago my hands were turning blue at work a lot and kind of freaking people out.

Wondering if this is a sign of bad things to come for my little one. I'll definitely be bringing this up at her next check-up, but has anyone else had this happen with their child?

Like you, I've had Raynauds since I was a little kid. My own kids seem to be okay so far (ages 7 and 11). In terms of being concerned or not about Raynauds, a couple of things to consider. You can develop frostbite much more easily. This means that care must be taken with clothes, shoes, etc. This can (but won't necessarily) lead to such complications as gangrene. Now, I never developed frostbite until I was an adult, but it can happen. I happened to work with an amazing rheumatologist when my Raynauds first got worse. He suggested gingko biloba supplements. Now clearly, you are dealing with a three year old who is rapidly growing. Any supplement should be well researched and cleared.

Thanks Stoney-I'll ask her pediatrician about the gingko biloba :)

Stoney said:

Like you, I've had Raynauds since I was a little kid. My own kids seem to be okay so far (ages 7 and 11). In terms of being concerned or not about Raynauds, a couple of things to consider. You can develop frostbite much more easily. This means that care must be taken with clothes, shoes, etc. This can (but won't necessarily) lead to such complications as gangrene. Now, I never developed frostbite until I was an adult, but it can happen. I happened to work with an amazing rheumatologist when my Raynauds first got worse. He suggested gingko biloba supplements. Now clearly, you are dealing with a three year old who is rapidly growing. Any supplement should be well researched and cleared.