Anyone else getting Remicade once a month?

I saw a new rheumy yesterday and he wants me to start getting Remicade infusions once a month instead of every 6 weeks. He also said I should take Plaquenil (which I've been trying to get prescribed).

Just wondering what others' experiences are with a once a month infusion?

thanks for any info !

Frances

Interesting. I'm on the six week cycle as well. My doc told me that if the Remicade seemed to be losing effectiveness he would try increasing the dose and not shortening the interval. After reading here about Plaquenil I'm going to see if I can give it a try as well. From what I see it's supposed to help with fatigue. Not pumped about going on a DMARD, but if it helps.........

Thanks for responding Sherm. I'll do some research on how best to take Remicade 4 weeks vs. 6 weeks and increasing dose.

Do you know what dosage you are getting? I get 800mg. every 5 weeks. We are giving that a try, if I still flare, he will be increasing the frequency to every 4 weeks.

My dose is 400 mg.

I get mine every six weeks. It’s been increased once,she said we will not go any longer than six weeks. I don’t think it’s working very well though and think it will be increased next dose.

Good luck Linseylou. My last 400 mg dose didn't help much either, so I don't know that getting an infusion once a month will help. I'm going to discuss with my doc about increasing the dose.

I’m disappointed,I had high hopes for this med. I was thinking yesterday that since my official diagnoses I have so much more pain in new joints & places despite being on Humira,Enbrel & Remicade. Feeling defeated right now.

Here are 2 new drugs that you may want to talk to your rheumy about: ACTEMRA and Ixekizumab.

I'm so sorry you feel defeated and I understand. Humira didn't help me and I didn't notice any improvement with Remicade until my 4th infusion and didn't notice much on my last, 5th infusion. My doctor is adding the plaquenil and I'm hoping the combo will work better.

Maybe if I try the Remicade with something other than methotrexate. I wonder which combo might work the best. Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone could find a perfect combo.

Hi, I just found out I'm going to be starting on Remicade but my doctor said it will be every 8 weeks? I see people writing about every 6 weeks. I'm so confused! Can someone tell me what their experience with Remicade has been like? I'm really dreading it but I've failed on so many other drugs I don't have much of a choice. Thanks!

I’m maxed out on my Remicade dose. I don’t know if getting 4 week infusions would help, but I’d love to try. SO GLAD YOU ARE GETTING PLAQUENIL! It only took, what, 4 months? I really, really, really, hope it helps.

I get my Remicade once a month. Started at 400mg every 8 weeks then decreased to every 6 weeks. Then 600 mg every 6 weeks then every four weeks. Added in lefludomide and I get 3 good weeks and 1 sucky week. I try not to plan big things for the sucky week as I am often very sore and tired. O

What does lefludomide do to help? I don't know this med.

Lefludomine is Arava.

Hi Frances, I am so happy that your are finally getting plaquenil., it is a wonderful drug. I wish you all the best and hope you start to feel better. it takes 3 months to feel the full effect of it but, i have been on it 2months and I see big improvement, it really works! Soon you will have your energy back :)

Thanks so much Crooked toes. Good luck to you too !

Actually, I think it took about 6 months ;-) I hop you're feeling better soon !

GrumpyCat said:

I'm maxed out on my Remicade dose. I don't know if getting 4 week infusions would help, but I'd love to try. SO GLAD YOU ARE GETTING PLAQUENIL! It only took, what, 4 months? I really, really, really, hope it helps.