Anybody taking/taken Humira?

Hi Friends! My doctor gave me a pamphlet and asked me to think about switching from Simponi to Humira in about 5 weeks. Have any of you taken Humira if so what has your experience been like?

I'm starting to feel like a human medicine pez dispenser... ugh, she's got me on Simponi, pednisone, methotrexate, folic acid and fish oil. I feel great, but I'm really starting to worry about the long term damage all these chemicals might be doing to my body. (might be the prednisone makin me a bit paranoid though)

I started by first Humira shot, it will be two weeks tomorrow. I get to do another one tomorrow. I am on metho also, I have a cold, but other than that I am doing fine. I am just waiting for that magic moment when I wake up and don't hurt!

Why does she want to change you? I mean if its working, why fix what ain't broke? Simponi is humanized protein (genetically altered mice ar injected with human TNF)so you need to take MTX with it to stop antibody development. Once you stop one of those it hard to go back because the antibodies continue to build. Generally folks don't quit a bilogical unless it quits working.

Humira is fully human so it supposedly will last longer before it poops out and is great for eye stuff......

You take Humira twice as often which has advantages. have you ever done a Predi taper?

hi tnt. Well, unfortunately even though I am not feeling bad right now I am having a flare up in my left hand that visually looks like I'm bruising from the inside out on a couple of my knuckles. Im feeling better because I'm not hurting anywhere else which is pretty much awesome. But yeah she thinks the simponi is pooping out and that its time to make a change. We don't want any more of my joints fusing (my writst and right ankle are already gone)

Thanks for the info on Humira!

tntlamb said:

Why does she want to change you? I mean if its working, why fix what ain't broke? Simponi is humanized protein (genetically altered mice ar injected with human TNF)so you need to take MTX with it to stop antibody development. Once you stop one of those it hard to go back because the antibodies continue to build. Generally folks don't quit a bilogical unless it quits working.

Humira is fully human so it supposedly will last longer before it poops out and is great for eye stuff......

You take Humira twice as often which has advantages. have you ever done a Predi taper?

Thanks TStrick! Let me know how it works for you, k?

TStrick said:

I started by first Humira shot, it will be two weeks tomorrow. I get to do another one tomorrow. I am on metho also, I have a cold, but other than that I am doing fine. I am just waiting for that magic moment when I wake up and don't hurt!

I guess I'd be changing too..... good luck

Angie said:

hi tnt. Well, unfortunately even though I am not feeling bad right now I am having a flare up in my left hand that visually looks like I'm bruising from the inside out on a couple of my knuckles. Im feeling better because I'm not hurting anywhere else which is pretty much awesome. But yeah she thinks the simponi is pooping out and that its time to make a change. We don't want any more of my joints fusing (my writst and right ankle are already gone)

Thanks for the info on Humira!

tntlamb said:

I take it once a week I feel great still get flare ups but all in all I feel great!

I’ve been on Humira for three weeks. I went from not being able to open a ziploc bag without ridiculous pain the day before my first dose to literally being able to turn cartwheels in my best friend’s side yard two days after my first shot.

Hi,

I took Humira for a while. It worked pretty well, but then for me it stopped working. I didn't get any bad side effects. I never did get off prednisolone while on Humira though. I'm now on Enbrel and have had more success with it and finally got off prednisolone after about 9 years. I would have preferred to stay on Humira as it was one injection every two weeks rather than one a week. We are all different and Humira might be perfect for you.

Thanks Ally!

Allycat said:

I take it once a week I feel great still get flare ups but all in all I feel great!

Bumble, that is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Keep me posted, k? Ever thought about running a 5k?

bumble said:

I've been on Humira for three weeks. I went from not being able to open a ziploc bag without ridiculous pain the day before my first dose to literally being able to turn cartwheels in my best friend's side yard two days after my first shot.

Thanks Philly. I'm really glad you found something that works!! My flare up is almost completely gone now so I'm thinking I might just stay on simponi for a couple more months, like tnt said, why fix what aint broke?

Philly said:

Hi,

I took Humira for a while. It worked pretty well, but then for me it stopped working. I didn't get any bad side effects. I never did get off prednisolone while on Humira though. I'm now on Enbrel and have had more success with it and finally got off prednisolone after about 9 years. I would have preferred to stay on Humira as it was one injection every two weeks rather than one a week. We are all different and Humira might be perfect for you.