Anybody have shin pain?

Anybody have pain in their shins? In the bones? I am not sure if this
is ‘normal’ for PSA? Is this something I should worry about?
Any ideas. Thanks.

Hi Kirsten,

I do not have pain there unless they are touched or bumped, best talk to Doc about this! I wish you well.

Your question, Kirsten, made me go "Ooooooohhhhh....". Years ago (like, 15 or so), I slipped and fell on some ice and badly bruised my tailbone. Nothing broken, but ow ow ow. Shortly after that, I developed shin pain. I went to the doc about the shin pain and she said it was probably shin splints and coincidental but unrelated to the fall. Not long after that, I started having painful knee issues. It seemed like some kind of a weird chain reaction (but, of course, I dismissed that as a stupid idea) ... and then the "osteo" moved into my knees. Less than five years later, I had two knee replacements. At "knee class" (rehab) I remember meeting a woman whose main knee pain was ... yes ... in her shins. Was it referred pain? Had my shin pain been related to my knees? Dunno.

I've wondered since I was diagnosed with PsA, whether the bad fall might have "set off" a cascade of PsA in my body. Who knows, but I do know that many of us here have had the disease surface after some injury or crisis. Have you had your knees x-rayed?

Let us know what you find out!

Much if not MOST pain with PsA is "referred" So it can show up anywhere. Remember nerves travel through or along side many joints (especially the spine) It makes it hard to figure out sometimes. I was sent surgeon to repair a hernia one time, that turned out to be an SI flare......

Definitely something you should mention to your physician. I make a running list of everything that is bothering me and take it with me to my appointments. That has really helped my doc make decisions on whether to continue a medication or to change or add another medication. I just saw my rheumy today, and I was able to pinpoint exact areas that hurt or had hurt/caused discomfort rather than say, "I ache". Are you prone to or have you ever had shin splints? Just a general question :) Hope you feel better soon!

I have shin splints repeatly, usually when not standing. I had these before my hip and knees replacements and after, have them since a youngester and now in my old age. I'm not sure if it's PSA, but it's damn annoying some times. I relate. Carry on!!! and don't worry it has not cured me and never well. Do mention it to your doc, let us know what he says.

i have recurring shin splints, i walk to much and i get horrible pain, only thing that has helped me is wearing skeatchers shape ups. if i wear any other shoes then my shin pain is horrible with just a little walking.

The worst I ever had shin splints was when taking aerobics on a gymnastic spring floor! You talk about pain! Whew!

bethy767 said:

Definitely something you should mention to your physician. I make a running list of everything that is bothering me and take it with me to my appointments. That has really helped my doc make decisions on whether to continue a medication or to change or add another medication. I just saw my rheumy today, and I was able to pinpoint exact areas that hurt or had hurt/caused discomfort rather than say, "I ache". Are you prone to or have you ever had shin splints? Just a general question :) Hope you feel better soon!

I was at my neurologist today for numbness and tingling in my right toes. I now have a "rug burn" sensation on the top of the foot and on the same leg near my knee. Sometimes that shin hurts pretty bad as well - like it is in the bone. I'm going for an MRI and nerve induction test to see what is up. I don't know if it is part of PsA or not. My Doctor wasn't willing to speculate until the tests are run. I will let you know how it shakes out.

Hi

Inflammation in the tendons causes me severe pain in my shins, particularly after walking for any length of time. Massage with voltaren gel relaxes them and reduces the pain although the massage is itself painful to start with. I can feel swelling and knotting along the main tendons. As the disease causes tendon inflammation and when you see a diagram of the numerous tendons in our feet and lower legs you can see why we have so many problems in this area.

What Alan said, But there is a "natural" treatment sold at Walgreens called "restless Legs" that helpssometimes or a couple of potasium pills

My shins hurt any time I walk fast. Or even semi-fast. I thought it was shin splints, but it hasn't improved at all in a year. Also, if I jog instead of walk fast, it doesn't hurt. From what I've read about shin splints, running should make the pain much worse. I thought maybe it was related to something in my lower legs swelling, but I've taken steroids several times recently and they haven't helped. I would be interested to hear what your doctor says. I have an appt. with my rheumy next month. I'll try to remember to ask her.

yes

I get shin pain

I dont think you should worry about it just mention it next time your in clinic

I have had arthrits for 20yrs so know all the symtoms

I think the reason you get shin pain is because your joints are causing a lot of stiffness and lack of movement so the areas surraounding your joints take a lot of the stress of the joints so the muscles legaments etc all take the strain and ache

this is something that is not explained via the consultants and they usually just say oh ok

I think massaging the muscles and area helps and resting your legs in the evenings or during the day by putting them up and helping the circulation

hope that helps new member Sue

hi guys, i also get very bad shin splints, usually when walking, i have been told its from my shoes to tight calf muscles to its just one of those things' its very hard though when you are trying to loosw somw weight and bang there goes your shins on day two of your new walking plan, i usualyywalk through the pain, but i do a lot of massage and stretches to ease the pain::::::::::ooocccchh

I seem to have a lot of pain in the lower extremities, but keep in mind, that pain in the actual bones may be something else - Make sure your Doc. is checking your calcium levels - hypoparathyroidism can cause bone pain in the shins.