New to this disease

Everything I have read says it effects the toes and fingers. I am having trouble with all my joints. I am having extreme trouble with my ankles which makes it hard to walk. Does anyone else have trouble with all joints?

Hi Rebel Mom,

Nice to hear from you. I have not heard that complaint quite in those words, but surely it happens that way, most of us have a certain area that is the worst. Let me do a little research and get back to you.

SK

Polyarticular Arthritis-several joints are affected by erosive arthrithis.

I don't know if it is normal by any means....but my PsA started in my ankles. They started swelling and bruising and turning hot and red. They were about 3 times their normal size. Walking felt like I was crushing broken bones, so for quite a while I was pretty much bedridden. My family texted me daily for an updated "kankle" pic because no one could figure out what was happening or why I was in such severe pain. Then they had me on steroids for a few months until they could do some testing and make a diagnosis. The steroids definitely helped with the inflammation....almost immediately (although it's short lived). Now my pain has spread but my ankles are still a sore place for me. Just my 2 cents.....I hope you find some answers soon.

Hi Alexa,

It seems we all have our special complaints, as similar as we are, each and every one of us are different. Did your Doctor mention which type of psoriatic arthritis you have? Symmeterical perhaps, just a guess? Mine is Spondylitis which means it mainly affects the spine, and often times the SI joint, as I understand it.

Imagine all the Drs have to sort out to get to a diagnosis! I am so glad that you are taking the meds, and I hope that your relief is just around the corner. So nice to have you in our group!

By the way, Rebel mom, the polyarticular is just a guess, a definition I could find that may possibly explain something or refresh your memory of a name of type, even though it's all PsA. As you know we are not Doctors, just patients, just discussing, and want you to get better!

Hi Rebel Mom,

I, too, have it in every joint. It took my "red sausage toe" and nail crumbling, along with negative results for Rheumatoid Arth, Lupus, etc to finally be formally diagnosed this year. I've been reading as much as I can about PsA and it seems that it is not quite as common to have it "all over".

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble walking. I have found that inactivity makes mine worse. So I take a walk every day. Just sitting here on a recliner sofa for 30 minutes with my legs out straight will is beginning to make my knees hurt. So do move/walk as much as you can tolerate.

My PsA has affected joints all over my body and my spine. My fingers and hands are the one place that hasn't been affected to badly so far (knock wood). It seems to travel all over...get better and worse in different spots.

Some of mine seems to travel too, Holly, though the back is always a constant, even on the best days. I hope this 'traveling' is the reason the DC thinks RSD is also involved. Have they classifed yours, under the PsA umbrella?

The wrists too, always, not always as bad as the back, but sometimes worse, and always there.

No, I asked my rheumatologist but, he says it doesn't matter - that it's all PsA. Mine is consistently in my back as well but now and then other areas flare as well and I have to be very careful not to stress my feet....no heels for me anymore!

Hope all of you are feeling better soon! Welcome to the group!

Hi Rebel Mom

I am sorry to hear that you too have problems with other parts of the body, yes, I also have problems with many areas including knees, ankles, hands, wrists, back, hips! I share your frustration. What medication are you on at present? My Rheumatologist told me that under the umbrella of Psoriatic Arthritis there are various degrees infecting different parts and a high degree affects just the hands and fingers but there is also a form (which I have) which affects most of the body which they call Polyarthritis. Let me know how you get on. Kind thoughts

Glo

I went today for my firs Rheumatologist appointment and he confirmed that I have PsA. I have it in all my joints with my ankles, knees and wrist being the worst at this time. The plan of action is going to be determined by my blood work for I have had low RBC. I know this is not a terminal disease but I am having a hard time coming to grips with this. For six months ago, I was fine. Ill let you know how things work out once I get a call back from the dr.

So sorry to hear it confirmed. We are all here for you, Rebel, Gods speed.

Unfortunately yes. Ribcage, shoulders, knees, lower back,ankles, feet, toes, thumbs and one finger. I've had it in my wrists and neck but they heve been 'free' for some time now.

The Rheumatologist told my mother that this is the worst case of PsA he has seen in years. He is perplexed. This is so encouraging when the doctor is around 75. I am trying to keep going and be a mom but when it is is both ankles, wrist, shoulders and knees it is so hard to keep going. My children are understanding but they want their ole mom back. It is frighting and frustrating at the same time.

I have it severe in all joints. Worst in my spine. hands and knees. I have been on Remicade and Methotrexate for 4 years. I go for my Infusion every 4 weeks. and take mtx every sunday . I have flare ups 5 to 6 times a year which cause me to be put on presdnisone . Its awful but time flies with this disease . Sofar Remicade is the drug from me , my skin has not had an outbreak in 4 years .

Ashley, glad to know that you have found something that works so well for you!

Rebel mom, I hope he gets moving on your meds!

Wishing you the best!