An exercerpt from the most amazing science blog on the internet which I keep shouting about!

January 23, 2011 11:21 PM

maryann0said...

I enjoy your blog. I am a 46 year old female and a 20+year psoriatic arthritis suffer, have psoriasis and am in menopause. I have been free of biologic agents (Enbrel) for 2 years but am beginning to feel the psoriatic arthritis starting to reactivate.
What are some nutritional and other supports I can put in place to keep myself in remission?
Maryann

January 24, 2011 9:19 AM

Dr. Art Ayerssaid...

MaryAnn, Autoimmune and autoinflammatory diseases can only be cured with an anti-inflammatory diet and establishment of gut flora needed to stimulate immunological tolerance. Recent research shows that dozens of different species of bacteria are needed in the small and large intestines for full development of the immune system cells in the lining of the intestines.
In your case, your diet, antibiotic use, etc. have conspired to prevent development of the lymphocytes in your colon, Tregs, that are needed to avoid allergies and autoimmune diseases.
You have treated the inflammatory attack of your immune system on your skin and bones using antibodies against a major signal molecule of inflammation, TNF. That stopped the attack by further crippling your immune system, but didn't fix the underlying problem. It just made you a chronic patient.
What you need is a healthy diet and new gut bacteria. Both are discussed here and under arthritis elsewhere on this blog.
Thanks for the questions.