Alt

My GP phoned to say my ALT is raised. I 'fessed up straight away "um, I think that's because I've been on holiday doctor and er ... usually I very, very good but .... 'um wine, beer, cider .... ". His reply: "No, no, no ... it's most probably your psoriatic arthritis or Sulfalsalazine, Gamma B would be raised if it was to do with alcohol, not ALT." Actually I'm on Mtx, but no matter - he communicates, he's a good GP.

But he's wrong this time isn't he? ALT is a sign that I've been bad? Guess that lovely bottle of cold cider will have to stay in the fridge this sunny Friday evening. Unless I get a rush of folk agreeing with him, which I doubt.

Well Sybil I guess I will have to confess to not being a saint. I know it is a shocker......

I do not drink except 4 times a year I have 2 glasses of wine and enjoy them thoroughly. My Rheumy and GP are both aware and ok with it. I just do not have my blood drawn then as I know all my liver enzymes will rise. I get my blood drawn regularly but not the same week as Christmas or my Birthday or my anniversary.......

Now if I could do something with my smoking that would be progress. I only smoke outside now and in my car. It really helps esp when I am hobbling on crutches. I really wish I were a better person but this one has me stuck.

Oh my goodness what a visual! I so want to be in a pond with my knickers on my head! I think there is a wine cooler rolling around in my fridge somewhere......won't my husband be surprised when he gets home!

In the states fags has different meaning. Best not to say except with very good friends. I wish I could call them that. So much better than "butts".

When I was a teenager we used to call cigarettes fags as an affectation. So cool, right?

Funny memory Stoney. I use to put a dash through my sevens until my father said without a hint of humor, "yeah I have visited Europe too." I stopped it right then. But you know every now and then one appears like I had a little brain fart and re-visited the 16 year old me!

Not as likley as the MTX................

I am sticking close to home, near the phone. Yes ALT is one of the liver enzymes that rise when the liver is "insulted". But it is only one of them, they will all rise with a really good "insult". The liver is actually quite magical and wonderful to study. The liver regenerates quite easily and quickly from minor insults such as a glass of wine or two, provided the liver is healthy before hand and the "insult" is stopped. That is why we can not go on serious benders nor drink routinely. Our livers are needed in this disease to break down and dispose of some very serious drugs. That is why I do not drink daily nor weekly any more. When you combine alcohol and DMARDs you are increasing the "insult" (which is the medical term for injury or maybe damage) greater than the 2 combined. I would talk to your doctor about it as I do not know your medical profile. I know for me the risk is minor for occasional "insults". Enjoy your night Sybil. I am going to look to see if we have a pond somewhere here.........

In my experience your GP is right - if the alcohol was doing the damage, you’d have high GGT way before your ALT raises. (And yes Lamb is right, the MTX is more likely the culprit).

Sheepishly, I know this because I’ve been pinged for it (high GGT) a couple of times and googled the living day lights out of it.

Having said that, all these test ranges and anomaly patterns are based on averages, and just because that’s what happens to the average person doesn’t necessarily means its what’s going on for you.

Having said all that, if your liver is having a hard time, no need to give it anything hard to do in addition, so yes, it would be sensible to leave the cider in the fridge :frowning:

How long have been on MTX? My rheumatologist said most get around 4 years of stuff st effective dose before they start having liver problems. Maybe it’s time for a MTX reduction or holiday until your liver recovers.

Well hopefully Humira works well enough to reduce the dose of MTX a bit. Hopefully, everything works out.

ALT without any other increased levels is very likley nothing to do with misbehavior, or medication. Until your doc panics you should not. The most likley explanation is as your doc said PsA. ALT all by itself is quit possibly (and more likley) the result of muscle irritation. It would seem to me this brings you closer to Humira. If you start dinking with things, and the levels drop as they usually do all by themselvese, you doctor has absolutley no information to move forward. Likley all you did was zig when you should have zagged.

How sad it it be to be on the wagon, of a medication that helps, and starting over on treatment plan for no particular reason than you took things into your own hands.

She has a guilty conscience. She knows there are limitations to the amount of alcohol she should have while taking MTX. She may have pushed her limit. If anything, she probably feels a bit better now that she made the post. Confessions can sometimes help with copping.

tntlamb said:

ALT without any other increased levels is very likley nothing to do with misbehavior, or medication. Until your doc panics you should not. The most likley explanation is as your doc said PsA. ALT all by itself is quit possibly (and more likley) the result of muscle irritation. It would seem to me this brings you closer to Humira. If you start dinking with things, and the levels drop as they usually do all by themselvese, you doctor has absolutley no information to move forward. Likley all you did was zig when you should have zagged.

How sad it it be to be on the wagon, of a medication that helps, and starting over on treatment plan for no particular reason than you took things into your own hands.

S, glad you got lots of info and opinions and some sense of ownership (which may or may not be warranted--maybe it's just the PSA alone?). Nonetheless...IMHO you made the BEST COMMENT ON THE THREAD:

sybil said:

I must not get GGT confused with G&T!