What did they tell you when you started MTX?

Something which JenAus said in this thread piqued my interest. There seems to be a wide range of advice regarding alcohol that is given to people when they take Methotrexate. North Americans seem to have rather strict advice not to drink while taking it. Europeans are less restricted, as far as I can tell. JenAus mentioned research she'd read, and advice from her rheumatologist which is quite lenient where alcohol is concerned. (I don't remember seeing any links to the research, but maybe they will pop up at some point in the discussion.)

So here's my question: Where are you, and when you went on MTX, what advice were you given?
Seenie

In Canada, I was told that I really shouldn't drink while taking MTX. (Subsequently, when Arava was added, the rheumy said, "With methotrexate, I said you shouldn't drink. With Arava, you really mustn't drink." Interesting choice of words.)

I discussed this advice with my doctor and she said "That's right. But it's interesting that in Europe, they say that a glass of wine a day isn't a problem. And in some countries, beer doesn't count at all." When I said "Can't wait until I go to Europe for a vacation!", her comment was "You know that's not what I meant." (But she did laugh!)

I was given information sheets for both methotraxate and arava today. Both state: drinking alcohol could harm your liver. Its best to avoid alcohol.

You're in Canada, right, JacksonJ?

Yes. I live in the GTA.

My doctor said no alcohol, period.

I am in Vermont (sometimes a lot like Canada but it is the USA!) My doctor told me no routine alcohol but I could have a drink on holidays or a couple of imes a year. I have a glass of wine 4-5 times a year. The rest of the time I drink cranberry juice and ginger ale in a fancy glass and surprisingly I don't feel left out at all!

I am in upstate NY. My doc said a couple of drinks every few weeks is ok…as long as liver tests are ok. I have stuck with that. 1st test good. I dont drink a lot, social drinking. But do miss my glass of wine at dinner and Margarettas on a warm summer night!! I was talking to a friend today, her aunt has been MTX for 20 years. Has her wine everyday. No problems. Haven’t heard any dr ok that here but interesting … Eager to hear what others are doing …

Hi Seenie! :-)

My U.S. rheumy says no alcohol, at all, period, while on MTX.

Where are our friends in the UK and OZ and other places around the globe?

Hi, I am from south wales UK and they say here no more than 5 units thats about 4 small glasses of wine. Thats if bloods are ok

That’s per week, I assume. And of coruse, it all depends how your liver is doing.

blue said:

Hi, I am from south wales UK and they say here no more than 5 units thats about 4 small glasses of wine. Thats if bloods are ok

I think I have this solved........ I have been reading about the advantages of Lemon Balm for arthrits

Soooooo:

• 4-6 cups lightly packed lemon balm
  • 1-3/4 to 2 pounds finely granulated sugar
  • 7 pints water
  • 1-1/2 cup white grape juice frozen concentrate
  • 1 tsp yeast nutrient
  • 1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
  • 1/8 tsp grape tannin
  • 3 tsp acid blend or juice of 2 large lemons
  • 1 packet Champagne wine yeast

Rinse and clean lemon balm and then chop leaves and stems coarsely. Put into 2-qt saucepan with lid. Add 1 quart water, bring to a boil, put lid on pan, and turn off heat. Let steep for 2 hours. Meanwhile, boil remaining water and dissolve sugar, tannin and acid blend (or lemon juice) in it. Pour into primary and allow to cool to room temperature. Strain lemon balm and add water to primary. Stir in pectic enzyme, grape concentrate and yeast nutrient. Cover and set aside for 8-10 hours. Add activated yeast, recover, and stir daily for 6 days. Transfer to secondary and fit with airlock. Rack, top up and refit airlock after 30 days and again after wine clears. Stabilize and sweeten to taste if desired. Bulk age under airlock for 3 months and taste. If wine has not smoothed out, age another 3 months. Rack into bottles and serve chilled.

I have five gallons almost ready to bottle. Now no doc is going to deny a "natural remedy" are they??? BTW it fabulous stuff

Was it your GP or your Rheumy that recommended this natural remedy? Lol

I think you're on to something, lamb...and I think I might just have to break out the brewing supplies.

Honest to god, it was my Rheumys mother's recipe. (shes the one who made the recipe for my voltarin cream)

Seenie said:

Was it your GP or your Rheumy that recommended this natural remedy? Lol

I was originally told that I should not drink but could have an occasional drink such as on my birthday. I do (did) enjoy an occasional glass of wine so 'googled' permitted number of drinks. Found several references that it was okay to have a maximum of 2 per month but nothing more. I have grown attached to my liver, so have chosen to skip the alcohol period. :-(

Ya, I'm kind of attached to my liver too, and I've chosen not to drink until I'm on a stable dose of whatever, and my liver values are consistently OK. Hasn't happened yet: I'm on my fourth (and I hope last) DMARD trial before we consider a biologic. With very good luck, I may be able to pop the cork at New Year's.

breckstar said:

I was originally told that I should not drink but could have an occasional drink such as on my birthday. I do (did) enjoy an occasional glass of wine so 'googled' permitted number of drinks. Found several references that it was okay to have a maximum of 2 per month but nothing more. I have grown attached to my liver, so have chosen to skip the alcohol period. :-(

I'm in Canada to...I was told definitely no alcohol on MTX, AT ALL. Seems like it is up to the doctors interpretation of the literature because in the product monograph it does say that you should avoid it.

Not arguing with the literature but somehow SOMEONE is either giving us a snowjob or doing an extreme case of CYA

If you take the reported incidence of liver damage from chronic long term use of several popular NSAIDS along the reported incidence of liver damage from MTX do a two tailed regression. Anyone taking NSAIDS should be equally concerned with using alcohol with them. I can't help but wonder if the combination of NSAIDS and MTX is the problem?? I dont' have enough data to make a for sure analysis, but it sure makes one wonder.......

I went to an all boys catholic school at one time. We were told a certain "impure act" would cause blindness. The common response (sure to get a few "hacks") was we would quit when we needed glasses.

Liver Damage is a huge concern, but remember when the anatgonist goes away the liver frequently will fix itself. I'm NOT suggesting the "need glasses response...." just not to freak.....