ALT levels

Hi all. My ALT has been slightly raised for some months - low 60s. Today just heard it has gone up to 133.

I don't know if that's a bit bad or very bad or what, but obviously the jump in numbers does not exactly gladden my heart. My GP is contacting my rheumy & I'm not due to take Mtx again (I take 20 mg alongside Humira) till next Sunday. I have not drunk any alcohol for ages.

Obviously GP & rheumy will deal with this, but any thoughts would be welcome.

My GP surgery is using a new, 'super-efficient' system to communicate with patients. However I think it still requires a little bit of work. I've had to battle my way through a mini-barrage of contradictory text messages to find out this information today!

It could be as simple as a bug. Its high but usually ALTs go really high if there is a big problem...... A 160 usually means fatty liver, so now not only are you off the wagon, no fish and chips. If diet and or med changes don't drop it, after they determine it isn't the crud, There will be very large needle in your future.

it's halfway through the lunch hour and I just read "fish and chips." So now I have to head off in search of some lousy substitute.

Sybil--sorry about your elevated levels. No more cheese, Grommit.

Life’s complicated enough without nonsense like this. Hope it’s just a blip, Sybil!

Please don't mention sensitive liver after this weekend...

First home Football game. Dumb me didn't realize they change the start from 3:00 to 7:00 so showed up to tailgate at 1:00. I'm told it was a great game...... Then there was wine fest yesterday to celebrate Ten Spoons Winery Grape harvest.

What do they call tailgating wher you live (pre game grilling, drinking and corn holeing in the parking lot before the game)

But yeah PsA folk do have sensitive livers, fortunately we don't have much in the way of liver disease to go with it. Lef related makes A LOT of sense Good luck

Corn holing is a bean mag toss game involving copious amounts of alcohol by the participants. Usually the bags are filled with corn instead of beans.

Tailgating is art science and just plain fun:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyS90q4lf9Y

http://www.diynetwork.com/outdoors/how-to-build-a-regulation-cornhole-set/pictures/index.html

Tailgating means two things in the states: following too closely, or lambs definition below. Cornhole is too much fun. We do it when we go camping too

sybil said:

So you reckon Lef could be in the frame even 4 months after last tablet? I like hearing that liver disease is not that likely. Thanks for the good wishes & I am sorry things went wrong at the footy, which is what I think happened.

But as for this bit, please somebody help me … (In UK tailgating is staying too close to the car in front, but ‘corn holeing’???)

tntlamb said:

What do they call tailgating wher you live (pre game grilling, drinking and corn holeing in the parking lot before the game)

My buddy Frank and I's grill is a tad over 6 feet long. we tow it behind a 3/4 ton pick up. We have never done an alligator but we do do a whole pig every year for homecoming.

That is what we did for our wedding food; we smoked a piggy! We let everyone change in to sorts and t-shirts and had a bluegrass band on the porch. It was great!

Wish I had been there. Sounds great!!!!! Did you deep fry the skin???

No, we did have fried fritters, slaw, redskin potato salad, and a strawberry shortcake wedding cake. It’s about the time of year for me to smoke a pork shoulder too. I love fall. :slight_smile:

We are doing a couple of Boston Butts this weekend... I LOVE fall too. The price of bacon is making the price of pigs go out of site. The Boston Buts are almost free.

GrumpyCat said:

No, we did have fried fritters, slaw, redskin potato salad, and a strawberry shortcake wedding cake. It's about the time of year for me to smoke a pork shoulder too. I love fall. :-)

It looks like were in the same boat with our LFTs, Sybil. Mine came in at 57 and 160. I was told to d/c my ibuprofen, Percocet and methotrexate until further notice. I have my fingers crossed that the ibuprofen and Remicade are not response for this mess.

Yes, AST and ALT. Actually, I checked my numbers and the ALT is 124, not 160. I remembered wrong. I also doth think that bios effected the liver, but the NP today said tat Remicade can sometimes impact LFTs. Whooda’ thunk it?

Hi Sybil,

Hope this gets straightened out for you. Does it make you feel ill or no symptoms with the high numbers? Blessings to you!

“Way out there” is never a good thing to hear from your practitioner, is it? The NP thinks that I used more per concert and ibuprofen than I usually do and hat may have caused it. I’ve been immunized for Hep B and had recent boosters and titers done. I haven’t had any recent tattooing, or needle sticks. I did have a needle stick at work, but that must have been at least 4 years ago. The patient was kind enough to have her labs done and her history reviewed, and I followed up with employee health to have labs done. All were negative, so I think I’m clear on the Hep C front. Hopefully, all will return to normal. I’ve been without ibuprofen since yesterday morning, and I’m not happy about this in the least. The NP was nice enough to mail an rx for plain oxycodone, so at least I have that, but it sure isn’t a good substitute. Only 1 week and 6 days to go. sigh

sybil said:

Any chance extra meds to do with surgery or the physical stress of it might have played their part? This really is annoying, isn’t it. Scared me a bit that the numbers jumped like they did … thought I was dealing with slightly raised then whoosh … even without Naproxen & while avoiding alcohol completely.

GrumpyCat said:

Yes, AST and ALT. Actually, I checked my numbers and the ALT is 124, not 160. I remembered wrong. I also doth think that bios effected the liver, but the NP today said tat Remicade can sometimes impact LFTs. Whooda’ thunk it?

Sorry about the continued elevated levels, Sybil. Bugger. As for the pain--social norms be damned. I've been known to lie on the floor with my legs in the seat of a chair at work. Typing is almost impossible like that but it sorts out back pain!

I didn't catch this thread when it was happening. Sybil, did your levels normalize yet? Are they going to allow you to resume if they do normalize? I ask because I had a similar spike in liver function tests after 3 months of methotrexate and am not allowed NSAIDs, acetaminophen or methotrexate now. All I can have is Enbrel and Tramadol. The stiffness is out of control still. It has been a year since they took me off methotrexate, I wonder if I could request that they consider another trial. So, although I know everyone is different, I just wondered how they are deciding to manage things for you if you don't mind sharing.

Enbrel has been since March. I have seen some improvement but I cannot say the stiffness is under control. I hesitate to keep switching meds and having to be in the gap all the time... when I do have some improvement now. But... I realize, the stiffness is saying that I am not under adequate control. I will probably be asking at my rheumy appointment in November about re-trialing methotrexate or maybe trying a different DMARD.

Anyway, thanks for the info, fingers crossed that your levels stay low!