Air travel

So folks, Im off on holiday, flying to Tenerife for a weeks rest and relaxation the second week in October. I’ve not flown since I’ve been diagnosed. The flight is 4 1/2 hours long…any tips?

I have not flown since my diagnosis either, so I cannot offer any tips. I just wanted to say that sounds like an amazing trip! Godspeed.

You will love Tenerife it is beautiful. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, not a drop of alcohol, it will cause dehydration. If you have the option to switch seats and get a more comfortable one, even paying extra, go for it, don't save that money. Use all the resources that the airport can offer to make you comfortable. Although it drives the cabin crew crazy, try to stretch, you don't need to go very far away, just get up and shake limbs a little. I am flying myself this week and I think I am going to use a wheel chair during my transfers and lines, I cannot stand on my feet for a long time. If you have painkillers and even if you don't like them, now is the moment to take them, as soon as you feel pain, don't wait until the pain is kicking hard because then it will be too late.

Safe skies and namaste! - Isabella

dandlyons said:

I have not flown since my diagnosis either, so I cannot offer any tips. I just wanted to say that sounds like an amazing trip! Godspeed.

Thanks Isabella, was planning to stick to no alcohol especially its the day after MTX dose I’m flying. Wonder how the cabin crew will react if I try my tai chi in the gangway lol. I’ve got to phone the airline about carrying syringe so will talk to them…do worry about standing for check-in if its more than a few mins.

Surferette said:

You will love Tenerife it is beautiful. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, not a drop of alcohol, it will cause dehydration. If you have the option to switch seats and get a more comfortable one, even paying extra, go for it, don’t save that money. Use all the resources that the airport can offer to make you comfortable. Although it drives the cabin crew crazy, try to stretch, you don’t need to go very far away, just get up and shake limbs a little. I am flying myself this week and I think I am going to use a wheel chair during my transfers and lines, I cannot stand on my feet for a long time. If you have painkillers and even if you don’t like them, now is the moment to take them, as soon as you feel pain, don’t wait until the pain is kicking hard because then it will be too late.

Safe skies and namaste! - Isabella

Hi Louise,

I definitely find moving and not getting stiff joints is the key. The seats are so bad that on longer flights my hips and knees tend to lock up. On long flights (where they give you pillows) I typically put mine on the seat and place it towards the front (not under my bum). For some reason this improves the angle of my legs and takes pressure off my hips and knees a little. If you need to, use a footrest (or use your bag that way).

Whatever you would do to feel comfortable on a long car ride or waiting for an hour in your doctor's surgery I suggest you employ the same techniques on the plane. Hope you have terrif hols in Tenerife!

Great tip Janeatiu, I travel quite often with my BF around the country by van when he’s working away, usually we stop every couple of hours, my job to get the coffees in so I get to loosen up that way.
I’m so excited to be going away :slight_smile:

janeatiu said:

Hi Louise,

I definitely find moving and not getting stiff joints is the key. The seats are so bad that on longer flights my hips and knees tend to lock up. On long flights (where they give you pillows) I typically put mine on the seat and place it towards the front (not under my bum). For some reason this improves the angle of my legs and takes pressure off my hips and knees a little. If you need to, use a footrest (or use your bag that way).

Whatever you would do to feel comfortable on a long car ride or waiting for an hour in your doctor’s surgery I suggest you employ the same techniques on the plane. Hope you have terrif hols in Tenerife!

So I’m here on the beautiful resort of Los Christianis Tenerife…Seamless journey collapsed in to bed at 2am this morning. Hydrated well, TENS in place on SI joints, pain meds before flight, kept moving, stretching and it worked…I had a sleep and raring to go…well laying by the pool Lol

Have a great time!

Hurray for you!!! Happy Happy Happy!

Oh I hope you have a wonderful trip Louise! <3

I hope you have a great and relaxing time Louise!

Woo hoo Louise! Sangria with lots of ice …
Take care and have fun.
Seenie

Have an awesome time!!!

Having a very amusing holiday :slight_smile: apparently we have a reputation in the hotel…coming home early hours of the morning staggering!!!

Thing is one of my toe joints has gone POP and yes, I’m a bit uneven walking and in fits of giggles I suppose I do look a bit worse for wear…Oh well, nothing new for us Brits abroad lol :wink: