Yet another diagnosis

I’ve had psoriatic arthritis long enough now that when I have new symptoms, unless they are really extreme, I try to wait them out. I had been tested for shortness of breath about 5 years ago with a lung function test and a visit to the pulmonologist but by then I was doing much better and had no diagnosis. That was a month plus long episode of shortness of breath which definitely impacted my daily life. I’ve continued to have symptoms of varying degrees, and developed a cough about a year and a half ago. I did nothing, as it wasn’t too bad. I finally mentioned it to my rheumy, who had me see the pulmonologist, get chest x rays, and another lung function test. I did this all so that IF there was something to be done to slow damage (or feel better).

I saw the pulmonologist yesterday. Imagine my surprise when he diagnosed me with asthma on the basis of my history and lung function tests. After getting over the surprise, I realized just how lovely it would be to be able to breathe well again! So maybe this newest diagnosis isn’t such a bad thing.

Sounds much better than just not a bad thing, breathing well is awesome! Glad to hear you finally got some answers. Before my PSA diagnosis one doctor prescribed me an inhaler so my ribs would not hurt taking deep breaths, what a quack he was, lol.

Sorry to hear that Stoney, although I'm glad it's something treatable and not a problem developing off the back of your PsA meds. I do wonder how susceptible our PsA and associated issues make us to allergies ... just hope it's not the kitties.

Oh, rats, Stoney. I'm sorry. Another health care issue to manage. I'm sure you'll do fine, but it's not fun, is it? Looking on the bright side, if you've got it, you're better off knowing about it.

That’s my basic thought process too Seenie. Interestingly, I did a bit of a search on asthma and arthritis. Most of what popped up was rheumatoid arthritis, but there is a greater risk if you have RA.

Definitely better to know about it. Hopefully I’ll start to see some improvement in the next few weeks.

Seenie said:

Oh, rats, Stoney. I’m sorry. Another health care issue to manage. I’m sure you’ll do fine, but it’s not fun, is it? Looking on the bright side, if you’ve got it, you’re better off knowing about it.

I don’t have any noticeable allergies, or nothing enough to bother about. Some extra sneezing during seasonal allergy times, but no noticeable difference when I’m away from the cats for a weekend, thank goodness. I would definitely do allergy shots if I developed allergies to cats or dogs.

Jules G said:

Sorry to hear that Stoney, although I’m glad it’s something treatable and not a problem developing off the back of your PsA meds. I do wonder how susceptible our PsA and associated issues make us to allergies … just hope it’s not the kitties.

I found some new research that shows breathing is really important, so it's great that you'll be able to do so with some more ease. As with PsA, asthma can have differing severities, and can be well managed. hopefully, you'll find this to be the case. I know what a pain in the a@# it can be to add yet another diagnosis, but I feel certain you will adapt and begin to roll with it.

Love it! Thanks GrumpyCat!

GrumpyCat said:

I found some new research that shows breathing is really important, so it’s great that you’ll be able to do so with some more ease. As with PsA, asthma can have differing severities, and can be well managed. hopefully, you’ll find this to be the case. I know what a pain in the a@# it can be to add yet another diagnosis, but I feel certain you will adapt and begin to roll with it.

Sorry you have asthma but hopefully now you will get treatment to help you breathe better.

Hopefully your asthma can be managed with the minimum of meds/inhalers. I have asthma, but haven't needed an inhaler for at least a couple years now. When my pulmonologist did the methacholine challenge on me years ago, she had to stop mid-test because she said my lungs were less than 50% functioning. I used albuterol inhalers frequently for several years, then occasionally, and now rarely! I think the asthma has gone into remission, because now when I'm exposed to any of the triggers, my lungs don't tighten up. I hope you have good results with minimal treatment, too! Glad they finally put a diagnosis to your breathing issues!!!!

So it's a case of 'sorry about the diagnosis' and 'yay!' I'd feel exactly the same I think. It will be lovely to breathe properly again and I hope your asthma is very manageable.

PsA's got a lot to answer for though.

I don't know, Grumpy. Without a citation of your so-called "research" about the benefits of breathing I'm just not sure I can trust your position. Sounds like quackery to me!

GrumpyCat said:

I found some new research that shows breathing is really important, so it's great that you'll be able to do so with some more ease. As with PsA, asthma can have differing severities, and can be well managed. hopefully, you'll find this to be the case. I know what a pain in the a@# it can be to add yet another diagnosis, but I feel certain you will adapt and begin to roll with it.

I have asthma too but have had it since I was a child. Be careful of respiratory infections that is when I get worse with my asthma.

Sorry to hear that Stoney, but at least it's something that can be managed. I hope you enjoy the easy breathing ;)

I spit out my drink, janeatiu!!!

janeatiu said:

I don't know, Grumpy. Without a citation of your so-called "research" about the benefits of breathing I'm just not sure I can trust your position. Sounds like quackery to me!

Glad you have a diagnosis at last Stoney, even if it is another thing to worry about, it can be managed. Nice to know, because of Grumpys’ “research”, that breathing isn’t over rated!