It's official, I have PsA

After 8 years, I finally have a diagnosis. I was getting so frustrated with my GP telling me I pulled a chest muscle every time I went in with rib and sternum pain and a virus when I went in with hip pain. My orthopedist told me that I don't have RA so I am fine when I questioned him on why I seem to have constant tendonitis in various joints. Two years ago, I finally decided to see a rheumatologist. For the first time in 5 years, I felt like someone actually listened to me and cared that I never felt well.

All of this started in 2006 when I came down with Fifth's Disease. I keep reading on this board that there seems to be traumatic or infection/illness triggers for PsA. The long story short is that she felt like I had PsA, but since I didn't have psoriasis and my MRI and X-rays are normal, she wanted to wait for the psoriasis to appear before giving me the PsA diagnosis. After two years and tendonitis that continues to worsen (I have been in a walking boot for over 7 weeks now due to severe tendonitis that won't heal), she decided last week that it's time for the diagnosis.

She put me on Prednisone last week to help with my current pain (foot, ankle, elbows, hips, and SI joint) and we will discuss which medication she will start me on in September. I feel so great right now that I have been scrubbing my house squeaky clean - something I haven't been able to do in over a year!

I am glad to be moving forward, but nervous since I have seem to have gone so downhill in the last 9 months. I am definitely tired of being in pain and I am scared for what the future will bring.

Miz Que

I'm glad that you were able to get a diagnosis, as this will facilitate appropriate treatment. Sounds like she got it right, at least that it's inflammatory, if you are feeling so much better on prednisone. September is a long time to wait to begin treatment though, especially as you've been waiting so long already. Can she start you on something now, to see how you respond over the next 2 months?

Welcome to knowing just what the heck is going on.. HA HA. I am sure that was nice to finally know even though no one wants that answer.

Wow, Those steroids are so nice wish we could take them all the time without all the side effects. I have a lot of the tendon problems too, I noticed that I was having tendon cramps like crazy muscle cramps when I treated with steroids. One of the side effects that I experience. But I am still willing to use them carefully because they get you over the hump.

Sorry to hear you have PsA, but for me it was a relief to know I was not crazy. I am glad to hear you are feeling better. My only word of advice is to be careful not to over do it. I know from my personal experience that as soon as I start to feel pain free I try to return to my "old ways" of doing things. I do not think I will EVER be able to return to my old ways. I had to learn where my limit is & to be aware not to cross over it. I learned to accept help & allow my teenage daughters to pick up some of my work load. I had to throw my pride out the window & use a cane for outings that involved me walking or standing on my feet. You too will learn. There are some great people here who are glad to share experiences with you. Thank you for your post. PLEASE keep us posted on how you are doing.

Yay for a diagnosis!!! It took nearly my lifetime for me to get a diagnosis (I remember joint swelling issues starting when I was four, my mom confirms this - and I was diagnosed when I was 36), so I understand what a relief it can be to finally have it and move forward with treatment. I hope you find treatment that works for you soon!