Worst day in a while

Hello, this is my first post here. I was diagnosed in august, its taken almost 2 years to finally figure it out. I’ve been on a crazy downward spiral since January, the summer wasn’t so bad, but then the first day it was below 60 degrees, my hands were in almost agonizing pain. Then there was a day I woke up and couldn’t move cuz I felt like my hips were being crushed. Today started ok then I went to leave the house and ended up crawling up my stairs to get back in the house because my ankle felt like it was broken out of no where. Called my rheum and she told me to take 40more mgs of prednisone today and if it doesn’t feel better to go to the er. I started methotrexate 2 weeks ago and have been on the prednisone for 2 months. I don’t know if anyone else has felt this bad being on that much prednisone for this long and how long it takes to feel better. I’m 27 and a hair stylist and was told I may not be able to continue doing this much longer. I’m afraid if I will keep getting worse, hoping the methotrexate does its job and soon. Thanks all for listening :slight_smile:

O and I don’t see why she would tell me to go to the er, what would they even do…

Hugs and welcome!!! What a rough time you've been having! It may take some time for the mtx to do its job, and if it isn't working as well as it should in a couple months, you can talk to your rheumy about adding a biologic to the mix. One of the most difficult things to deal with when you get a PsA diagnosis is that life will never be the same. That doesn't mean that life won't be good, but it does mean that you have to take PsA into consideration in all you do. I hope you find a treatment that works well for you and gives you the relief you need and the ability to do what you want to do!!! :)

I was actually in the ER today, and they gave me an injection of an antiinflammatory, and injection of a narcotic for the pain (I was in EXTREME pain!), and prednisone. It helped a lot.

Welcome! So sorry you are having such a hard time. I have been told it can take awhile to find the right medication that works for you. I have been going through a similar battle but think I am starting to see the light at the end of this very long & horrible dark tunnel. The best advice I can offer is take a day at time. If you start to thinking long term you can easily get overwhelmed. Which will only cause you stress & stress makes it worse. All of us here share many of the same fears. So feel free to talk to anyone here. You will be surprised to find what a great stress reliever this place can be. I for one doubt I would still have my sanity if I did not find this group. I send you many HUGS. Add me to your friends list if you want & I will be more then happy to talk with you & share what I have been through, as well as listen to you also.

Thank you all for your words, it helps to hear others stories, I’ll go to the er tomorrow if its still flared, at least I know something can be done! Thanks again :slight_smile:

If your doc sends you to the ER, you will get some help...... If, you haven't had the pleasure of torodal, it will be an amazing relationship. I'm not a big fan of IM predi, but I have been known to accept the narcs.

But MORE importantly depending on the type of PsA you have, until you are able to readily recognize ecactly the Type of pain you have ( and you will learn the subtle differences) you could EASILY BE HAVING some nerve impingement that can cause permanent damage. The will have an on call neuro or anesthesiogist who can shoot you up.

All that being said its generally NOT a good idea to show up in the ER without a referal or "relationship" Until we have good charts, we can easily be thought to be drug seekers.....

I know what you are going through and I am sorry. But at such a young age, I can't imagine it. I took a pack of steroids as an emergency fix because I could not even walk. For four weeks after I was better than I had been for years. I was me again. But the emotional side effects were rough. I had been on methotrexate for three months before I saw any improvement. Don't give up on that. Have the doctors suggested biologics yet? Also I could not work without pain medicine. I know its not ideal but sometimes its the only way to function. Haw long were you on low dose steroids? Sorry I am so all over the place but your post is very interesting to me.

Hi… There wil be days that are really bad and some that are better…
I went through a whole year of pain and extreme fatigue… My hands and arms are painful
don’t give up and if ur meds don’t help ask for other choices… I Have been on Humira
for 3 months now and also been taking cymbalta… I just went up yesterday from
60 to 90 mg it helps with the pain and the depression… Hang in there and make sure
u are on the right meds for the amount of pain u are in…

Hello there, I can’t really add anything that hasn’t already been said, just be kind to yourself and take one day at a time good luck with your trip to ER x

Reaching out is so important. I'm glad you found a group that can offer support and solace, as well as share experiences.

Hi,

Remember that one day follows another. Just because you feel like that does not mean that tomorrow it'll be the same. You may not need to go to the ER, but the idea is still there for whenever you need to go. Hey, I somedays count the hours until tomorrow to feel better, and I rest, rest, rest. It usually works. Wishing you the best.

Welcome itswhatitis. You are describing the Perfect Storm of PsA, with all the emotional and medical messes joining up to make you feel rotten. Others have mentioned that this will improve, and I will add my voice.

Even after years of having this spiteful illness diagnosed, I still get days of woe. I would imagine that you'll slowly come around, especially if you can tolerate the MTX. Look into a British TV playwright called Dennis Potter - he wrote a very famous TV piece called 'The Singing Detective' which is all about severe PsA (set in a hospital, where our hero is getting treatment). Anyway, Potter himself was a severe sufferer, and it came on him violently just as he was finishing college.

His Psoriasis was so bad he always wore pyjamas under his clothes - his whole life - to prevent mounds of white fluff from piling up or floating around himself. True!

Anyway, try to rent 'The Singing Detective'. It is several discs long (a mini-series) - you'll laugh and cry and relate like you would not believe. It may be rather old now, but it stands up. And keep on struggling: I, too, have had to crawl around the house - I think most of us have. It gets better.

All the very best to you. Cheers.

Hi there...first, let me tell you - you are not alone. I was diagnosed at age 30 after almost a year of seeing numerous doctors...I, too, initially took methotrexate; it did not work for me. Then, my doc introduced me to Enbrel. Seven years later, I inject myself once weekly and my life is different now. Don't get me wrong - there are bad days, but they are much fewer now...talk to your doctor about other medications...Enbrel has been a success for me and I hear good things about Humira too...Hang in there!

I am also new to this site and this is my first response. I have been on predisone on three different occassions when I have been in a flare up and one time I felt that I got no relief. The other two times it worked very well for me. It does sound like you need some help and do go to your ER if you can't cope. You did not mention any pain medication an ER could help with something stronger for temporary relief.

Here are a few ideas for you to try once you get your pain under control.

Try Heat or ice on your aching joints. Work out which works for you and you also try to alternate them as well. Don't leave ice on for too long though as it can cause damage.

Massage with a strong linament helps me but takes few days before I see a result.

An anti-inflammatory gel

Have you tried a TENS unit

Eliminating all processed foods and refined sugars and preservatives and chemical additives from your diet.

Eating 5 Vegetables and 3 fruits daily

Eating foods that reduce inflammation such as Tummeric and Ginger

Eating foods high in antioxidants to help repair cells - most berries are good

Eating foods high in Vitamin C to boost your immune system - Citrus, tomatoes, capsicum

Plenty of information on food on the net.

I hope something that I have suggested might help you.

Lucia, I have been on the steroids for two months, up and down doses constantly to try to help, sometimes it works, others not so much. I never did go to the er, foot still hurts today, the hip now too, but bearable for now. I have just recently been on the methotrexate, just took my third set of pills today, at least they don’t make me feel as awful as I’ve heard from others, so for now we’ll see how it goes. But, I had to leave my job today. Hopefully I can get myself back to functioning to go back. Everyone has been so great on here in just one day, thanks for the hope and support, its definitely helping :slight_smile:

Dear itiswhatitis, (one of my bosses favorite phrases!)

Everything that has been said before is so true and I too have only been diagnosed since late June and am working my way through predisone and MTX doseage changes. I think it is marvelous that you are reaching out and building a support group for yourself. I echo everyones sympathy for your disease and for beginning this journey so very young!! The ER will help you, just remember it might take several hours for them to help relieve the pain. Has your Rhmy perscribed pain meds? I know everyone hates to rely on them, but for me without something to take the edge off I couldn't continue to work. I take half a dose when I arrive at work (EAT breakfast first) and then 4 hrs later I take the other half and then repeat the half dose thru the rest of day. I have been approved to start HUMERA but I need to have a minor surgery done later this month and then I can start. I didn't respond sooner, as this was a bad pain weekend too.

Keep writing to us and allow us the priviledge of helping you carrying your burden, Michelle