Worsens before it gets better?

I was on Enbrel with no results. I started Humira on 8/5, every other week. My fingers are still very swollen and I'm feeling a lot of stinging and pain when I attempt to bend them; used to only feel pain at night. I didn't have any changes on Enbrel at all.

Enigma, I had the similar results with Embrel. Very little if any help and disease continued to progress but had some say 20% improvement at times especially with fatigue. Funny because my next appointment with my rheumy is Friday and am expecting to start humira and praying it agrees with me. One month is a small time to decide to me personally because they are slow acting. Hopefully this will get better for you with a little more time but I would call your provider to be sure not to worry. You probably would get more response if you repost this in the discussions forum. Good luck!

When I started Enbrel, I took 2 injections every week for the first 3 months. I think that may be why it worked so well for me, although I noticed improvement almost immediately. I'm wondering, Enigma, if your doctor would consider having you do an injection every week. Rachael, maybe you should ask your doctor about weekly Humira injections for awhile--maybe it would kick that PsA in the butt!

Enigma, I agree with Rachael, one month isn't long enough to see whether Humira is working for you. Three months is the usual 'mininum' but a rheumy I saw actually said that provided there is some small glimmer at three months she would urge a patient to give it another three months before stopping. And I know lots of members here who say they were still seeing improvements from a bio at twelve months.

My bio treatment started out with Humira. I'd been seduced by the stories of people who began to feel better within a few days so every single morning I'd wake up expecting to feel miraculously better. It didn't happen. For fourteen weeks I stuck it out and then declared it a 'failure'. In hindsight my expectations were unrealistic, my docs hadn't told me what to expect and how subtle signs of improvement might be to begin with. Yep, I can't remember now exactly what was still hurting, but I realise that I completely missed how much better my knees had got. I found out a few months ago that even the docs examination of tender/swollen joints had improved enough for me to stay on it. But I didn't because subjectively I didn't "feel" any better.

So what I'm saying is give it good chance. It can be a slow burner. And be realistic in your expectations.