Whooping cough

Hi should I take my Enbrel as my 17 yr old has Whooping cough he’s been poorly with a cough etc since August just diagnosed his twin has a chest infection and to top it all my lovely Mrs has a throat infection ! I have the usual aches and pains but am I next ??

I dunno, where do you live??? Its hard to believe anyone hasn't had a DPT vaccine, I know some kids haven't. But most adults had no opt out when they were in school (in the US)......

Check with your doc, its vaccine that is effective even with exposure....

You should be fine I would guess. We have a major out break around here too. The DPT vaccine is for diseases that KILL. We actually had a couple of active polio cases last year.......

I don't get it. All because Andrew Wakfield made up a study for "money" and although thoroughly debunked (and admitted to by him) it persists. Funny how myth persists (I am disappoint to find out from louise the spanking clubs in in England are myth too) But Kids are dying because of this one.

I had to have a vaccination for Whooping cough before commencing Humira and YES I was vaccinated as a child! I am led to believe by my doctors & practice nurses that the vaccinations are NOT a forever thing (as was previously thought). There have been many outbreaks of this in Australia as well. Partly due to lower uptake of vaccination programs offered to parents of young children, partly due to a significant increase of immigrant/refugees arriving here from poorer countries that do not have vaccination programs. I am not offering a debate re this- just sayin!

Johnathon, I think you maybe should check with your doc???

Good advice, please check with your doctor

This link says we can still get it, if we were vaccinated when young

Pertussis (Whooping Cough) – What You Need To Know http://www.cdc.gov/Features/Pertussis/ - 34k - Cached - Similar pagesSep 5, 2012 ... Among vaccine-preventable diseases, pertussis is one of the most ... need to be revaccinated, even if they were completely vaccinated as children. ... Unlike the common cold, pertussis can become a series of coughing fits ...

Can I add that there was reported on the news that in the UK there are increased cases of whooping cough this year, I think there has been a general increase over the last 4 years but this year is expected to be particularly bad
(Tntlamb, your incorrigible! I’m just too much of a lady to know where they are lol :wink: )

Check with your doc - when we had our little girl a couple of years ago, the advice both our travel doc and GP gave us was that our childhood vaccinations against whooping cough might decrease the severity for us, but were so old they wouldn't stop us catching it (and hence passing it on to our new bub - before vaccinations could happen). I had mine a few years ago for this reason - but if I didn't and my child had whooping cough I'd be wanting to check with my doc before took my next Enbrel (hey, we pay them enough, don't we?)

Just remember if you have had a tetnus booster, you have likley had your pertusis redone too. Until droves of folks decided to quit vaccinating kids "'whooping cough" was almost forgotten about, evenn thoghtetnus was updated (particularly in the trades or any time one needed stitches.....