Weird taste

Has anyone noticed a weird taste sensation while using MTX? If so, what do you do about it? It reminds me of the taste left in you mouth after a solumedrol infusion, if you've ever had that. (They're GREAT, by the way.)

The taste is sort of like the aftertaste associated with sacharrine, if you are old enough to remember that--a bitter, almost metallic taste. Recently, I was off my meds for a couple of weeks. I'm back on them now, and that taste is back. So there's my correlation.

Just wondering if anyone else has this an how you deal with it. I chew gum, so that is quick fix during the day. But at night, for example, while sleeping, I get up to go to the bathroom and there is that icky taste.

I've noticed,, too, that my BFF in the whole world, Diet Coke, no longer tastes like the Queen's mead. Root bear seems to do better.

Any idease? Is this something that will get better in the longrun, or will it be with me for the duration?

Would love to know if anyone else has a personal experience with this they could share with me.

Thanks so much!

Byrd

all I can say is yes. And to quit drinki g sodas they are bad for you. thats it my morning broadcast. chat ya

Yaaaaa....of course! Mine was a weird metallic taste, and I had it for months. Sugar-free mints were the only temporary solution. It seems to be gone now, or maybe I'm just used to it.

Seenie

Byrd Feeder,

This is a huge problem with Methotrexate patients. You get that nasty metallic taste, and then everything else tastes off. Unfortunately, it seems that this never goes away. The best thing to try is to talk to your dentist--they can give you special rinses, mouthwash, toothpaste--that will all help. Also brushing your teeth very often, and drinking lots of water seems to help. Be careful with mints/cough drops/gum, even if sugar free, they still will destroy your teeth. Anything made from Xylitol is a safe option.
Hope this helps !
Renie
*I've never taken MTX, I just worked for a Rheum for years -- so this is just my observations !

I don't seem to have the problem or I may have and it went away. I brush and floss a lot though because PsA hates my teeth. I drink a water , lots of water boiled water, herb tea and love my coffee decaf.

Trees, how do you mean "PsA hates my teeth"?

Seenie

That could be Sjogren's going after your teeth, trees.

Yes, it left such a horrible taste in my mouth that I lost my appetite about 2 months in, I took it for 4. The Sulfasalazine left it's own personal unique after taste too. For that matter, even the Enbrel seems to, but it is very mild in comparrison.

You have given up everything trees, wheat, dairy, sugar, sodas? I'm surprised you are as happy as you are? I think this disease eats your 'personality' without giving anything up, but if it helps you girl...are you a vegetarian or a vegan too? How about nuts, people claim they cause allergies? I'm not picking on you, I hadn't realized that you had given all this up.

Most of the medicines we are on, and then add in Sjrogren's -- cause extreme dry mouth. Dry mouth destroys teeth, no matter how much you take care of them.

I was a dental maniac---constantly brushing, flossing.... the hygienist said I had permanent grooves in my gums from the constant flossing. Well, 4 of the meds I'm on, the #1 side affect is dry mouth. Dentist says that is the reason everything has happened, and I was seeing him every 2 weeks for over a year, just trying to keep up with constant broken teeth or cavities.

Now suddenly, my entire mouth went bad at the same time. At 45, I've had to have all my upper teeth pulled, and bone grafts into my jaw -- then implants. Same thing on the bottom, haven't gotten to that yet. SO EXPENSIVE !!

Please guys, keep close tabs with your dentist -- I don't want anyone to go through what I have !!!

A TON of wasted money, icky dentist visits, root canals, treatments, then all the products to help with dry mouth -- none of it helped, I was too late in starting all of this, I guess.

Oh, I know about tooth loss, no implants for me, and no bone implants either! You are a brave soldier going through all of this. I use all of the biotene products too, only helps so much, drink water around the clock too, always thirsty with dry eyes. Use moisturizing eye drops by the gallon, wish I could buy them that way, but by the time a bottle is empty, surely a sterile one is needed.

How are you, Renie, and how's your poor cat?

I have no choice but to do all this dental work... I probably could have paid for my house 3 times already with the amount I've given dentists over the years. Right now I have a temporary plate which is really not working for me, so I have to go with implants. I was always fanatical about my teeth, even as a kid - and this still happens. Dentist says dry mouth is 80%, and the other 20% is hereditary.

Cat is "ok". No distress or discomfort yet, which surprises me, so we're just going hour by hour. Thanks for asking !

I've noticed dental detioration too. My first tooth pulling occurred this year! My mouth always is dry and tastes bad, even before the mtx. I do notice a reduced appetite from mtx (NOT a bad thing for me) as I packed on 20 lbs since last June inexplicably. Dr says inflammatory auto-immune conditions can make you gain. : ( I've been drinking more water as it seems to help. A water-pic is also helpful to me.

Renie said:

Most of the medicines we are on, and then add in Sjrogren's -- cause extreme dry mouth. Dry mouth destroys teeth, no matter how much you take care of them.

I was a dental maniac---constantly brushing, flossing.... the hygienist said I had permanent grooves in my gums from the constant flossing. Well, 4 of the meds I'm on, the #1 side affect is dry mouth. Dentist says that is the reason everything has happened, and I was seeing him every 2 weeks for over a year, just trying to keep up with constant broken teeth or cavities.

Now suddenly, my entire mouth went bad at the same time. At 45, I've had to have all my upper teeth pulled, and bone grafts into my jaw -- then implants. Same thing on the bottom, haven't gotten to that yet. SO EXPENSIVE !!

Please guys, keep close tabs with your dentist -- I don't want anyone to go through what I have !!!

A TON of wasted money, icky dentist visits, root canals, treatments, then all the products to help with dry mouth -- none of it helped, I was too late in starting all of this, I guess.

When I was on Methotraxate, I got a metallic taste in my mouth -- almost like I had put a penny in my mouth. I also had extreme hot and cold spells (I was wearing sweat pants & a sweat shirt in 80+ degree New Orleans weather & my teeth were still chattering). I also had extreme nausea (Ginger Ale was my best friend!). Oh, and I developed mouth sore (canker sores is what I've always called them). It wasn't pleasant. But my arthritis didn't hurt--probably 98% relieved of pain. The side effects were so bad I decided to try something else.

Haha, yeah. When I was on MTX, both Dr. Pepper and chocolate tasted AWFUL - like garbage awful. But I didn't notice an after taste/metallic taste or anything. It was just things that I LOVED and used to eat/drink all the time all of a sudden tasted horrible.

I was off MTX for a couple of weeks (long story), and it reminded me what life was like before. I sure don't want to go back there! I'll find a way to fix the metallic taste, and I'll put up with the nausea as long as I can. I'd forgotten how bad things truly were. A few days of not being able to walk, an aching back, and swollen fingers and toes were enough to convince me.

Thanks for the messages and the support. As always, you guys are the greatest!

Seems the strange taste never goes away, just changes with each new med, one terrible taste to the next!! ICK!!