Vocational Changes, Goal Setting, Self-Reliance, Making a Living With PsA

I am curious to hear what others have done when confronted with the reality that they can no longer work at their familiar vocation due to their battle with PsA. I was a birth doula, childbirth educator and lactation counselor for 20 years ( self employed, part-time ) and primarily a stay at home momma while our children were young and we were home educators. Thus, I have not racked up much $$ in my SS account. This would probably make getting disability an impossibility.

I want to be as self reliant as I can. I know Obamacare is coming and it is scary.

My last five years as a doula nearly killed me. It is very demanding, both physically and emotionally. I love the work, but can't do it anymore. Since I was about 13 years old ( a LONG time ago)I have been an avid beader and fiber artist. I have opened an Artfire store with some of my creations and have been able to supplement my husband's income a little, but I would really like to take it to the next level. Fortunately, my hands have not been hugely affected by PsA and I am able to do very intricate work. I don't now how long I will dodge that bullet, but I am thankful so far.

I have thought about opening a small retail space with yarn and beads and offering classes. it is a scary time to open a business, with the economy the way it is and I don't know if I would really have the physical energy to do it.

Has anyone else started their own business after their diagnosis ?

If you would like to check out my shop www.artfire.com/users/blueridgediva

There's a great book out there:

I'd Rather Be Working: A Step by Step Guide to Financial Self-Support for People with Chronic Illness

by Gayle Backstrom (she herself is disabled and struggles with chronic illness)

It was published in 2002, but so much of the advice is timeless.

The list of successful businesses started during tough times (both personal and economic) is a lot longer than the opposite. Entrepreneurship often comes by because of need. Two that started in pretty tough times? Walmart and Microsoft.

That being said get some outside help. Many business schools have dozens of bright energetic people just dying to create business plans, market research etc, all of which are reviewed and critiqued by folks you could not hope to afford to do the work for you.

Also it doesn't take a lot of points to qualify for SSDI. You need only earn 1120.00 in a quarter to get a point.... If you haven't paid Self employment tax on you art, you should its a wise investment. If you have records going back several years, you can file ammended and with the help of an attorney write a "dumb farmer letter" and pay up your points could be a wise investment. The thing with art is your time and talent have no value (to a tax accountant) so most of your sales are net getting you your SSA points pretty quickly.

It is really interesting that you mentioned this. I have been curious about opening my own “store” online to sell my goodies. I do Swedish weaving and other embroidery regularly and have dabbled in beading & basketry. Its something I love to do and I can do it any time of the day. I have wondered if I would be able to support myself this way if I were unable to work, or at the very least support my husband’s income.

Have you tried renting a booth at an art or craft festival? It would be a great way to get your name out and give people a chance to see, touch, and hold your art. Just a thought. :slight_smile: I don’t know if you use social media to promote your business, but it’s free and can be a real bonus to boost your business. There are some good articles about how to do it to best benefit you. I think I saw one in Forbes recently.

Mimi,
Do you think that the stuff at the craft type shows is less quality? I get an ad for a folk festival type art/craft fair and a lot of what is in there looks really nice. I ask because if I did decide to do it, I don’t want to put my efforts into something that promotes to folks who want to buy corn husk dolls and potholders. Those things are fine, but I want to be more artsy and less craftsy. (read- buyers have more moolah)

Ill take some pictures one of these days and post them :wink:

Thanks for starting the thread Mimi! I think I will start buy making an inventory. That should take some time. The more difficult pieces can take several weeks to do, especially now.
I am amazed at how detailed your work is. Pretty fine work with those seed beads!

My mom is retiring soon and she will probably help me with getting started. She IS a much wiser woman than I. I think she may also contribute some of her work, which would make it even more appealing.

I think it’s good to plan in a positive way for the “what ifs”.

I think crafting and art of any kind is very therapeutic. I'm a quilter (though haven't made much in the past 10 mo. due to flares), and find working on something beautiful is such a stress reliever. Plus, I can *see* something that I acomplished taking shape.

mimiB said:

Yes, and I find the work is very theraputic for me, emotionally. It is a stress killer, believe it or not !

Beautiful work mimiB! I couldn't help but check it out. I used to be a knitter myself, but not these days. My hands are in not such good shape. So I do more sewing now. I just need to train one of my kids, or someone, how to cut out material, as that's the hardest part for me to do.

Your work is beautiful Mimi! I so love it and the colors you pick are wonderful!

You so remind me of Penelope Garcia! Not just your picture but Penelope would so wear all of it.....maybe on the same day!

What a timely thread! I was just looking into Esty…
Thanks for the motivation to get going on it

I do paper crafting and quilting. I teach classes for the city for adults. I use it as therapy more than income. I find even when my hands are bad it at least keeps me doing something. I used to bead( paid for my books in University with projects) but find the small beads seem to jump away so much more than they used to. I think that if you have the passion and the desire along with a solid business plan you can make ago of it. A lot of Internet options, ETSY, Artfire allow you a wider market than your local area with little travel. In Canada the unemployment office often offers help for entrepreneurs. Budget planning, business planning, start up help etc… Is that something offered in the US? If so that many be a great place to start as well.

I'm taking a class in Northern Virginia titled " Wht do to with the Next the Chapter in Your Life." It helps participants define their passions and the options for jobs, volunteering etc.

Also, as for your beading business, in my area there is a volunteer group through the county or chamber of commerce that gives free advice, accounting, marketing etc . for small businesses. It may be called SCORE ???

For anyone living in Northern Virginia or near. Here's the link to the Desgining the Chapter in Your Life class: http://www.nvcc.edu/wdce/annandale/courses/spring/classinfo.asp?ID=LLRN+1849

I'm doing some turning these days, I used to carve. Mostlty though its reproduction Mission furniture.

We have a local co-op of artists operating out of a store front downtown. Anyone can put stuff in (if its accepted) It operates much like an "antique mall". SCORE is great after you have a Business plan. they can help put wheels to it, they are sort of the nuts an bolts guys

FWIW, my wife owns and operates a quilt shop. She lets me come pass out chocolate at her "events" On of the more popular items she sells is some Limited mobility rotary cutters The work in the palm of your hand sorta perfect for the claws some of us have... They have straight blades but also the wave and pinking blades. There is also the acu-cut system for cutting blocks. Its makes it so simple you could operate it with your teeth. No reason you can't have "power tools" too

Its a high end shop....

http://www.missoulaartistsshop.com/

May be a possibility for a another type business as it doesn't require a full time comitment even for the owner.... We avoid (not my wifes choice) she can't bypass a pair of "lamb" earings. The place is a part of our towns first Friday Gallery tour.

Check your local Community College for business planning help. I almost bought a craft store a few years ago ( still kicking hubby for being scared) and they gave me a business coach and tons of help, all of it was free.

Mimi, have you thought about teaching classes? Since you are thinking of having a brick-and-mortar shop, that would be an excellent way to increase revenue. Charge a reasonable fee for classes, you get to bring more people to your craft, sell them tools and materials, and also sell your own art. Some shops will allow clients to select beads and a pattern to have jewelry custom made by one of their artists. I have had this done a few times. I have also taken some of my silver pendants to have them incorporated into beaded jewelry. It wasnt cheap! If you had any extra window or shelf space for display, you would be able to diplay and sell other local art for a % of any sales.

I had a bit of a brain-storm and thought I’d share. :slight_smile:

I'm glad for you guys that have the hand mobility. That is my number one problem and I am a writer (both professionally and as a hobby). I'm struggling to see past this hopefully temporary setback with my hands and get back to what I love to do.