Type A Flu, Tamiflu

I could swear I already wrote this, but can't find it!

Our grandson has Type A flu--actually he's getting over it, but I was in close contact with him while he was sick--we had thought it was just an ear infection.

I contacted my doctor and she wants me to take Tamiflu right away. I'm going on vacation with the little guy's family, and I'd be really surprised if at least one of the other kids doesn't come down with the flu, too, and we'll be in really close quarters in a hotel.

If I start the Tamiflu on Saturday, my 10 doses will be enough for the entire duration of our trip. I took Tamiflu once before and didn't have any SEs, so hoping it goes without a hitch again this time around.☺

It certainly sounds like a good plan. You’ve already been exposed, and it’s likely that other people will get sick. Does it make sense to wait until the first symptoms?

I took the first dose yesterday--I didn't want to start until I knew I'd have enough doses to get me to the last day of our trip, and now I do. I'll take my 10th and last pill Sunday evening, the 13th. I'd cancel the trip if it was just a getaway, but it's to visit our daughter and granddaughter who moved away in December and it would be a huge disappointment for everyone if we didn't go. I had to babysit those kids yesterday for a couple hours--so far he's the only one who has the flu, maybe the others will be lucky, but he's coughing and their house is germ infested! I washed my hands about 20 times when I was there! I doubt the other kids are taking any precautions. They'll get Tamiflu immediately if flu symptoms start--their doctor is aware we're going on vacation in a couple days.

I've always been a germaphobe but I had a good immune system and rarely got sick. Being on Enbrel and not knowing how my weakened immune system would handle the flu is a little scary.