Toxoplasmosis and cats

I am considering adopting a cat. I know about toxoplasmosis and cat’s litter box but what does mean for us on immunosuppressant drugs? I searched some articles but the seemed to be mostly concerned with HIV. Does anyone here have some insight or own a cat?

Thanks.

How many do you want? cats that is. I believe we have a Lady who runs a cattery still active. There of course is Grumpy cat and several threads where people posted pictures of their cats. I'm thinking its not a big problem. But then one of my favorite books of all time is this:

http://www.amazon.com/101-Uses-Dead-Simon-Bond/dp/0517545160/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1413500848&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=101+things+to+do+with+a+dead+cat

I have two cats love them. I keep mine inside and they curl up with me while I watch television and one sleeps with them.

Also, FIV is not passed to people, stays only between cats. There’s no problem with toxoplasmosis and the drugs we take. The immune system is really not that strongly affected. Our labs are usually normal and don’t indicate any immunosuppression at all.

Tnt! For shame. I did have a chuckle though. :slight_smile:

Ok. Thanks everyone. I figured it would be ok. I will clean the litter box with gloves anyway. It’s stinky in there :slight_smile:

Oh. And it’s just one cat.

I have two of my own cats and had a constant stream of foster kittens this summer. There is not an increased risk. I sometimes wonder how much the increased risk really is for pregnant women.

Stoney, me too, about the risk. I was terrified when I was pregnant and we had a foster cat. We quickly found her a home and all was well.

Hi Amielynn, I am the resident cattery owner! There are alot of scare stories in the media about potentially zoonotic diseases ie. those that can be transferred from cat to human. Most of them are just that, scare stories and provided you use common sense and take sensible precautions then you really have nothing to worry about.

As far as toxoplasmosis is specifically concerned you are more like to catch it from handling raw or eating undercooked meat. I've attached an information sheet about it for you.

I can highly recommend the International Cat Care website as a resource for all you need to know about cats, owning cats, health etc. Get your little kitty and love it loads .... you and your family will gain so much.

If you have any specific questions feel free to message me. And you MUST post a pic when you get him/her!

159-Toxoplasmosisbrochure.jpg (385 KB)

PS. I've got five cats of my own plus hundreds that I've cared for whilst on PsA meds and previously. To the best of my knowledge I've never caught anything from any of them ..... and they all get kisses and cuddles.

Sybil, Yes, a Yard :) I want an indoor cat. We live near a nature reserve and there are coyotes. They come into the neighborhood and pick off outdoor animals. We also have wild pigs :)

Jules, Thanks. This makes me feel so much better. I have had cats all my life and it's been hard taking a break from kitties. Now that my son is 4, I think he can handle a new animal. I didn't want to deal with a baby and a kitten at the same time :) We are going to get an automated littler box and my hubs has agreed to do the scrubbing when needed. I am so excited. Pictures will follow :)

Bungee says "don't worry, get a kittie!"

I live in a forest with lots of wildlife including a bear that came into the yard last spring. I have two barred owls that live here also; I hear them talking at night. I also hear coyotes and could have touched 2 moose from the porch had I chosen to. I have 3 kitties and 1 dog. I get them all in at night by shaking a treats container. They were easy to train to it. One cat tries to out smart me by trying to get out after "treats" but I am on to him.

My Dad was a Veterinarian. There is very little disease that is passed between cats and dogs and humans. Make sure you have a good Veterinarian to keep your pet healthy.

I do, thanks Michael!

janeatiu, aw! I will. Ok. You talked me into it.

Amielynn, if my memory serves me, the problem with toxoplasmosis & pregnancy is that an infection can be devastating to the fetus. I'm another one who has always had multiple indoor cats and can't imagine life without them. Go for it!

Jules, what type of cats do you breed?

I meet kitty tomorrow!!

Louise, my cattery is boarding only, so just for when the cats need to go on holiday. Sadly PsA is doing its worst in terms of my ability to carry on with something that I love so much :-(

So Amielynn, how is the little kitty?

Louise said:

Amielynn, if my memory serves me, the problem with toxoplasmosis & pregnancy is that an infection can be devastating to the fetus. I'm another one who has always had multiple indoor cats and can't imagine life without them. Go for it!

Jules, what type of cats do you breed?

Jules....

WELL. We had her one night and she went into heat. So her Foster mom came and got her. She was spayed the following day. I am going this evening to pick her up. Hopefully she is fully recovered and less yowl-y. The night she was here, she meowed and yowled all night. I got 2 hours of sleep.

I hope tonight goes well. She will have to get used to nights in the laundry room. It's big. She has a bed, toys, a scratcher, and other coat items. Plus she can jump a bit. I'm not a fan of pets in the bed, or being meowed awake at 5am :)

I'll post a picture when I get one.