TENS anyone?

A doctor has suggest I try Trancutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS).

He spefically recommended the EMPI Active as a good unit. It has a lower back belt that makes it easier to use. Has anyone used TENS much or have any experience with this unit?

I've used a TENS unit, but it was almost 20 years ago. Having a lower back belt definitely seems like it would make it easier to keep the thingies from getting messed up when you pull your pants up and down. I found that it worked really well for my lower back pain.

I have one by Empi,I was prescribe it before I had my disc replaced. I have not used it for a while but I do remember it was very easy to use.

The back wrap is definitely a selling point. The idea of trying to affix electrodes and keep them in places seems like a hassle especially given I wouldn't be able to twist to place them.
With the back wrap I am willing to give it a try. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I bought one a couple of years ago to help my SI joint pain…I don’t leave home without it! Absolutely rely on it when SI is playing up :slight_smile:

I did try it, unfortunately or actually may more fortunately it did not work for me. I had back surgery in December and it was the best thing I ever did! The TENS unit gave me some relief but did not solve my problem. I guess since we are all different you will just have to test it for yourself. I would certainly give it a chance to work before looking at other options.

SI pain is what I am hoping to mitigate. I am glad to hear it is effective for some. I will definitely move forward with this.

The EMPI Active can use the standard electrodes but has the back wrap as well... also a knee wrap it seems.

Just wanted to give a quick update on this topic. My doctor agreed TENS was a good idea and singed the paperwork. I have received an EMPI Active TENS with the specialized back wrap as well as discrete electrodes. I am amazed at how small and light the unit is, fits in the palm of my hand. I have now used it for both low back and neck pain & it really seems to help. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I've used an EMPI TENS years ago for a back issue. I believe it provides temporarily relief only - but hey that's not bad. It did help with my back pain while I was using it and for awhile after. They are portable and easy to use. My insurance company paid for it - only you need is a script from your doc. In fact, my doc may have ordered it for me, I don't remember. So, if it's free, try it !

much more sophisticated than the one I used.

dandlyons said:

SI pain is what I am hoping to mitigate. I am glad to hear it is effective for some. I will definitely move forward with this.

The EMPI Active can use the standard electrodes but has the back wrap as well... also a knee wrap it seems.