Tai Chi Feet

If you watch people doing Tai Chi it can look as if nothing much is happening with the feet, and indeed it’s not complex, but the careful way of stepping, oft repeated, gives my feet a gentle work-out that helps considerably with any pain. This video explains a few principles and shows them in action.

5 Likes

I’m going to give it a try this weekend, but I’m terribly clumsy and probably won’t be able to do it right–but I’ll TRY! I know I don’t have plantar fasciitis or bone spurs, but maybe it can help strengthen my arches and minimize the pain. :slight_smile:

In China ancient people do Tai Chi, not just spring chickens like us! It’s designed to keep anyone & everyone moving so clumsy efforts don’t matter one jot, it’s just about doing it. One of the best instructors I’ve met has Parkinson’s disease. I know the chap in the video mentions certain specific problems but that’s just his particular focus. If you can get into a rhythm, no matter how clumsy, wobbly and generally unsatisfactory it feels, you may see some relief quite quickly. It would be great if so.

1 Like

I’m working on it right now! I have the stance down (standing slightly pigeon-toed). I’m getting the first maneuver with quite a bit of teetering when I move my right leg. I can definitely see how this could help my feet…a lot of the emphasis seems to be on the outside rather than inside of the feet, so my weak arches are forced to stay up.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing, will try it, looks really useful.

There are different ‘forms’ (as you probably know already). I do … the yang form I think, anyway it’s the kind developed by Maitre Moy. There are other equally good forms I’m sure. It’s finding a good class locally that can be the tricky bit. I tried one (a different form) which was all about the ‘choreography’, whether moves looked right, how quickly people were learning the sequence. The emphasis should be on how you are using your joints and how you’re transferring weight. The rest is secondary to that.

I think you would love it @letizia.

@Sybil Think a friend of mine is or was into it and did classes/sessions in a park near where she lives, alas the other end of town. Have no idea what kind, did not even know there were different kinds
It looks lovely, a kind of dance. Will try to follow your tutorial on the balcony or in the living room, have problems w my feet, and in general I guess it is excellent idea to try and move as much as poss, thank you ever so much for sharing xxx

1 Like