Sulfasalazine, in 25 words or less

About how long were you on sulfasalazine? 5 weeks

What good did it do you? Nothing

Did you have intolerable side effects? (Keep it brief) yes. Nausea, brain fog, bloods showed problems with liver . Note I did not tell my doctor that I had recently had a reaction to Trimethoprim which can be a problem on this drug.

Worst thing about taking sulfasalazine? Liver feeling swollen - but it settled again very quickly after stopping

Are you still on it, or why did you quit? Was immediately stopped after first blood test.

About how long were you on sulfasalazine? about 2-3 months

What good did it do you? none.

Did you have intolerable side effects? (Keep it brief) swollen glands, sore throat, bad skin infections

Worst thing about taking sulfasalazine? honestly? reading the leaflet!

Are you still on it, or why did you quit? No. Was told to come off as was told the swollen glands showed a sign of allergy to it.

Macmac can you tell me more about the "brain fog"? I swear I'm getting senile, been making a lot of mistakes at work, can't remember anything, thought I was losing my mind but maybe it's the drug.
MacMac said:

Did you have intolerable side effects? (Keep it brief) yes. Nausea, brain fog, bloods showed problems with liver . Note I did not tell my doctor that I had recently had a reaction to Trimethoprim which can be a problem on this drug.

Worst thing about taking sulfasalazine? Liver feeling swollen - but it settled again very quickly after stopping

Are you still on it, or why did you quit? Was immediately stopped after first blood test.

approx. 2 months

relieved pain & eased fatigue

yep. severe gastritis nausea

as above

quit due to above

I also had what I'd describe as fuzzy memory and poor attention. Was forgetful in short term (few minutes to a day or two type span). Couldn't keep engaged in conversations. Came off the drug as it became too annoying to me, particularly when it caused a lot of family tension as they thought I wasn't listening to them. At the time put it down to sulfasalazine but now thinking it may have just been a flare and the brain inflamation that seems to come with this disease.

Appygirl said:

Macmac can you tell me more about the "brain fog"? I swear I'm getting senile, been making a lot of mistakes at work, can't remember anything, thought I was losing my mind but maybe it's the drug.
MacMac said:

About how long were you on sulfasalazine?

Ten months and still counting.

What good did it do you?

First six months "OK" then widespread muscular pain, nausea, headaches,

sleep disorders and fatigue, believing this was (PsA) meds related l sort

advice only to diagnosed with Fibromyalgia Syndrome alongside PsA.

Did you have intolerable side effects? (Keep it brief)

None, the results of regular blood screening were not always optimal but

within safe limits.

Worst thing about taking sulfasalazine?

My Rheumy recommended a higher fluid intake for each dose of Sulfasalazine

(1000mg three times a day) it led toā€œOverhydrationā€ as other oral meds had not

been accounted for taken during the day and night.

Are you still on it, or why did you quit?

Yes, still at 3000mg a day combined with Prednisolone and Meloxicam for (PsA) and Pregabalin, Tramadol and Zolpidem for (FMS).

How long on Sulfasalazine ? I've been on it for about 2 years.

What good did it do me? Not sure but it helps my intestines.

Did you have intolerable side effects? No, it's a sulpher and I'm not allergic to it.

Worst thing about taking? It's twice a day.

Are you still on it? Yes along with MTX

Have been taking Sulfasalazine for about 5 years. Still taking it. No demonstrable side effects. Is mildly effective on IBS (which the doctor suspects is or has turned into either Crohn's or UC). Had to go onto a secondary medication to help with the symptoms (dicyclomine), which is also somewhat effective, though I have not gotten good control as of yet.

Worst thing about taking it - that there is, yet another medication I have to take. My two handfuls a day, you would think, would get this crap under control :)

Oh, but I should add I am also taking Mtx, and also took it while on biologics. My doc prescribed it specifically to deal with IBS (which as stated above may not be the problem). I plan to continue taking it because it may be working to help with the IBS symptoms and am not willing to stop taking it and risk a worsening of the symptoms.

About how long were you on sulfasalazine? Just started 5 weeks ago but had steriod injection to get me through the first few weeks

What good did it do you? less pain and not as tired. It has calmed down the flare up of my bowels (possible ulcerated colitis)

Did you have intolerable side effects? (Keep it brief) no, slight loss of taste, some stomach upsets

Worst thing about taking sulfasalazine? bright yellow pee

Are you still on it, or why did you quit? still on it and feeling quite positive with the effects

About how long were you on sulfasalazine? I have been on sulfasalazine for about 10 months

What good did it do you? It is part of my pain regimen. I take it with duloxetine HCL for daily pain.

Did you have intolerable side effects? (Keep it brief) No side effects

Worst thing about taking sulfasalazine? It tastes a little funny.

Are you still on it, or why did you quit? I am still on it.

I was just wondering if you have had any excessive bruising and/or bleeding or what they refer to as brain fog, i.e. can't remember anything! Thanks,

Lar837 said:

About how long were you on sulfasalazine? I have been on sulfasalazine for about 10 months

What good did it do you? It is part of my pain regimen. I take it with duloxetine HCL for daily pain.

I have done a detox from aspartame and gone on to vitamin d3 high dosage supplements which cleared my brain fog in a very short period of time. Its all trial and error to get a balance.

Appygirl said:

I was just wondering if you have had any excessive bruising and/or bleeding or what they refer to as brain fog, i.e. can't remember anything! Thanks,

Lar837 said:

About how long were you on sulfasalazine?

3 months.I used delayed release

What good did it do you?

It did nothing to stop the progression of the disease. It had no effect.

well, yes, if you count insomnia. Obviously I tolerated it but it was a real bummer. I felt unwell.

insomnia. In all fairness, I had some insomnia before I started taking it, but it got worse. I also dropped a lot of weight which I didn't need to do. I was already too thin.

no. It had no effect.

About how long were you on sulfasalazine? Six to eight months

What good did it do you? No noticeable effects, that I can remember anyways

Did you have intolerable side effects? (Keep it brief) None

Worst thing about taking sulfasalazine? Having to take four large pills a day

Are you still on it, or why did you quit? No noticeable effects so Dr said to stop so I did

About how long were you on sulfasalazine? 4-6 months (I forget)

What good did it do you? Precious little. Enbrel was petering out so Sulfa was added to try to help me out.

Did you have intolerable side effects? (Keep it brief) Nauseousness, And more nauseousness.

Worst thing about taking sulfasalazine? Dry heaving in the office at work on my hands and knees.

Are you still on it, or why did you quit? I couldn't handle the dry heaves so I quit.

How long were you on sulfasalazine?

2 weeks

What good did it do you?

Nothing

Minor nausea, stomach upset, headache. Nothing major. See below for intolerable drug interaction.

2 weeks on Sulfasalazine ... NO pain relief. I have ALL major joints in my body affected - the pain is incapacitating. Tried 1/2 a Vicodan for pain - reacted badly with the Sulfasalazine. Terrible stomach pain and can't eat. I lost 20 lbs from NSAID-caused ulcer ... so I NEED to eat.

I quit in favor of taking pain med. I can't go 2 months with no pain management. What I am supposed to do for pain while waiting 2 months for Sulfasalazine to kick in??? I am going to ask for prednisone trial.

About how long were you on sulfasalazine? Two weeks, kick-started with Prednisone.

What good did it do you? Less inflammation, less pain, less stiffness.

Did you have intolerable side effects? (Keep it brief) Occasional and sporadic constipation.

Worst thing about taking sulfasalazine? Horribly sweaty at night, always thirsty, yellow pee.

Are you still on it, or why did you quit? Still on it for at least a full 3 months.

About how long were you on sulfasalazine?3 months
What good did it do you?none
Did you have intolerable side effects? (Keep it brief)slept 16 hours a day, sores in mouth(allergic)
Worst thing about taking sulfasalazine?sleeping
Are you still on it, or why did you quit?no, side effects

Sorry I donā€™t think I repliedā€¦ brain fogā€¦ forgetting things, struggling to track conversationsā€¦forgetting words. This really affected my mood as I am known for being a strong, clear thinker with a good memory. Very glad I stopped this drug.