Success stories: When something actually worked... medicines, physical therapy, anything hopeful

I've had Ps for over 4 years and PsA for a bit over three though I didn't know I had PsA until 5 weeks ago. Three years ago this past summer, three things happened all at the same time and all for no apparent cause. My knee swelled up,first just annoying, later painfully, my middle finger became a sausage and my neck got incredibly stiff.

At that time, I received a steroid injection for my knee and physical therapy for my neck and my finger. Between the therapy and buying a thicker pillow, my neck injury fully resolved itself in a month or so. I saw a hand physical therapist for about two months and my finger slowly returned to normal. The steroid injection calmed my knee down to where it wasn't painful anymore and I was able to ignore the problem until this past summer.

Then my knee started to swell again. I thought it was some weird injury aggravated by my biking. I would not stop biking, however and I started seeing an orthopod. The swelling got worse and eventually became painful enough that I couldn't walk. It got really bad on a Saturday bikeride. That Monday I made an unscheduled visit to the orthopod and told him I really needed to speed things up, such as the referral he had promised me for a rheumy. They called me that afternoon with an appointment 3 weeks out. I was in a LOT of pain, I called the rheumy and pushed the appointment to that Thursday. It turns out I had other problems too, such as a painful jaw, and my for finger hurting some.

It took the rheumy all of 5 minutes to diagnose me from fluid tests, and she immediately drained my knee, gave me another steroid shot and put me on MTX, saying that in a month she would get me on Enbrel. She told me to take it easy on my knee for 48 hours but then I could do what I wanted. She said normally she tells people 24 hours, but for me it was 48 because she knew I would do something stupid like go biking for 50 miles. So I took it easy, and my knee started feeling better. I took the MTX for the first time the next Wednesday, after getting tested for TB. My knee just continued to feel better. After 3 weeks it looked like all the traces of the swelling was gone with just some pain in my kneecap when I pushed it too hard. I saw the Dr. again 4 weeks later (this past Thursday) and on Saturday gave myself my first Enbrel injection. Today is Tuesday. I feel great. My knee is 100% or close to it. I felt no pain riding, nor did I feel pain climbing the stairs to my eighth floor office. My jaw seems to click a little but there is no pain. My finger has almost no pain and would probably stop hurting if I got of the computer for a couple of days.

I know the drugs might not continue to work, but then again, they might. Right now I'm counting my blessings and rejoicing in having good days. I think/hope/pray that many people with PsA lead fulfilling happy lives and that's what this thread is about. I want a thread to give me hope and give hope to others newly diagnosed with PsA. If you've had success with medication, therapy, lifestyle change or ergonomic changes this is one thread where you can celebrate that success.

Thank you for reading,

--Andrew

That is great Andrew looks like you seen the right doctor finally. That is how I feel I have finally found the best and right doctor and someday to I hope to post the great news that you have.

Hi Andrew...

I am new to the site...

I have had PsA since I was 19 and its been quite a journey. (I'm 36 now, wow where does time go??)

I have been on numerous medications but I did take Enbrel for 7yrs with tremendous success...however last year it didn't work as well for me personally anymore. Don't worry!!! My doctor said this sometimes happens when ppl have been on a drug for so long. It truly helped me get back my quality of life!!!

Since my flare last year....my Rheumatologist took me off the Enbrel and I've been switched to MTX and Remicade. I just recently had my first tx with Remicade...I'm praying it works. I have also had great trouble w/my knees. I have had my left knee drained 3x's in the last 7weeks. OUCH! When I first got diagnosed my toes looked like sausage...it was horrible and so embarrassing b/c I was so young and the time and wasn't educated about the disease. Thankfully my toes are better!!

I wish you much success in the Enbrel and happiness in all you do... I have made so many friends on this site and its been wonderful.

Have a blessed day...

Tammy

Tighefan, I hope something works for you quickly. There is nothing wrong with being a squeaky wheel to your doctor. My rheumy does tons of blood work, I guess to measure the state of disease in me as well as watching for side effects. This doctor strikes me as one that covers all the bases. Anyways I'll pray (and I never pray hardly) that your doctor finds something for you that works.

Tammy, thank you for your response. I’ve been following some of your threads and also what people have said about Remicade. I hope so much that it works for you. Believe it or not, I found that when my knee was swollen bike riding would help it feel better for the rest of that day. I’m on the chat site now if you want to look there.

jtek said:

Hi Andrew...

I am new to the site...

I have had PsA since I was 19 and its been quite a journey. (I'm 36 now, wow where does time go??)

I have been on numerous medications but I did take Enbrel for 7yrs with tremendous success...however last year it didn't work as well for me personally anymore. Don't worry!!! My doctor said this sometimes happens when ppl have been on a drug for so long. It truly helped me get back my quality of life!!!

Since my flare last year....my Rheumatologist took me off the Enbrel and I've been switched to MTX and Remicade. I just recently had my first tx with Remicade...I'm praying it works. I have also had great trouble w/my knees. I have had my left knee drained 3x's in the last 7weeks. OUCH! When I first got diagnosed my toes looked like sausage...it was horrible and so embarrassing b/c I was so young and the time and wasn't educated about the disease. Thankfully my toes are better!!

I wish you much success in the Enbrel and happiness in all you do... I have made so many friends on this site and its been wonderful.

Have a blessed day...

Tammy

Thanks Andrew I just started on my treatment plan and it takes time to work I get impatient and want it to work now LOL!! It is encouraging though that people are gettig relief from this. I will take my third dose of MTX tomorrow. My rheumy is doing blood work alot too I go tomorrow so they can take blood. I am so greatful that I have found my doctor I spent alot of years with the wrong ones. Tammy I too suffer with knee pain never had it drained OUCH!!