New in this Journey

Hello Everyone,

First, I would like to thank this group, because it made me feel empowered knowing that I am not alone. It took almost a year before I was diagnosed with PsA. My right knee started swelling, no injury/trauma. Ortho did draining and cortisone shots, and it kept flaring up until he referred me to Rheuma .

Knee xray was normal, my HLAB27 negative, labs normal, no skin issues.... until my doc ordered a second round where my CRP and ESR were up. The only predisposing factor that was seen on me, my brother has Psoriasis. It was hard to digest. I am a field RN, and it pained me, having that fear that I may not be able to drive and see my patients again.

But I kept going!!! :) My doc started me on Methotrexate 15mg once a week now am on my 8th week plus prednisone 5mg daily, , and I see so little improvement. My right knee still swelling, never got worse but I think it is the prednisone that's keeping it at bay. It has never gone back to normal. The only thing am thankful for, I can walk, and I am still working.

My thoughts;

1. Is my knee ever gonna be normal again? no swelling and fluid build up?

2. Am I going to be on these medications all my life to control the symptoms?

I am a mom of three, passionate about my profession, and 43 y/o with dreams of giving my children a bright future.... Until this. :(

Thank you everyone, I know in my heart that this forum group will be with me in this journey. :)

Gia

Welcome Gia

It’s hard to digest when you’re first diagnosed isn’t it? Mine started with a swollen wrist and painful foot but although methotrexate hasn’t helped my feet, it did reduce the swelling in my wrist! It did however take a full 3 months to do its work and I was on the maximum dose… Also there are lots of other medications they can add so be positive. It is very likely that you will continue with your job and a relatively normal life.

My feet are still swollen (well one is) but I still try to do everything as normal including walking a golf course 3-4 times a week - it hurts but I still do it! This group is great for support and information so hopefully you will get as much help here as I have (even if it’s just to moan and vent a little)

Gia,

I have felt exact same way as you…I have been really depressed with this diagnosis.

I have not taken Any drugs yet but have gone gluten free and paleo and it has helped…i still have pain in my hands and feet but no longer debilitating.

Give yourself time. The meds take time to work, and sometimes it takes time to find the right meds or combo. For some people, finding the right meds can make it seem like they are able to start over again.

There are some great postings in the Newbies Guide to PsA section. I encourage you to check them out. I have two starting suggestions- One on the gap (one of the earliest postings), and Stoney’s journey, by me.

fleur said:

Gia,

I have felt exact same way as you...I have been really depressed with this diagnosis.

I have not taken Any drugs yet but have gone gluten free and paleo and it has helped....i still have pain in my hands and feet but no longer debilitating.
Hi Fleur! My nutritionist put me on ketogenic diet, and gluten free. I don't see much improvement but maybe becaue it has only been 10 days since I started. I will still continue. I will check on paleo diet too. Thanks a lot.! :)

Stoney said:

Give yourself time. The meds take time to work, and sometimes it takes time to find the right meds or combo. For some people, finding the right meds can make it seem like they are able to start over again.

There are some great postings in the Newbies Guide to PsA section. I encourage you to check them out. I have two starting suggestions- One on the gap (one of the earliest postings), and Stoney's journey, by me.
Hi Stoney ! Thank you, I will check the Newbies guide. :)