Subject: Methadone!?

Well hello everyone in PsA land. I truly hope and pray that everyone who has found this support/discussion forum has found hope and encouragement from the awesome members and moderators on this website! I still check back here, from time to time, to read testimonials from others (not because I enjoy the pain and suffering) and witness the love and support from the other members and moderators. As it turned out my diagnosis consisted of 2 diseases/conditions: First - Osteoarthritis (cervical, lumbar, right SI joint, and left wrist) Second - CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome). The CRPS had been affecting primarily my right hand/wrist. The Dr. at the university hospital feels that the CRPS has begun to spred to other areas of my body, YEAH :=< !!!

Sorry, got off track in my previous paragraph. Didn't meen to bore you with my, unrelated to PsA, condition. So back to my reason for posting. Has anyone ever been prescribed "Methadone" for treatment of chronic pain? If so could you give me any feed-back as to how it worked out for you? The main reason that my Pain Management Dr. disscussed this drug as an option is because of the price. I have to pay for the whole price of the medicine then the Ins. co. reemburses me for the amount that's covered. Let's just say these meds are no cheap. Of course the quantity which is prescribed doesn't help either. My dr has me taking 20mg Oxycontin= Qty 3 in the morn. 2 in the afternoon and 2 at bedtime. 10mg Oxycodone= 6 daily. 300mg Gabapentin=2 morn. 2 afternoon

So in closing if anyone can give me some feedback on the drug "Methadone" I would really appreciate it. Thank you for reading my post (a.k.a. ramblings of a madman). Also keep up your strength and I hope & pray that you can get in a treatment program that can get you some relief from this common enemy, Arthritis!

WA state was using methadone to treat lots of people on state care due to the low cost. They also had a very high number of deaths compared to other meds. It is apparently a lot easier to overdose and die from Methadone. The state investigated and the whole program is in question right now.

I'd be VERY cautious about using methadone, even if it is cheaper.

My mom had tried it for chronic pain. I don't remember that she found it particularly effective, and if I remember right, it made her sleepier than some of the other meds. I can't be of much help beyond that, but wish you well.

You have a disease with real pain. (meaning the pain you experience is NOT subjective as with other pain (including that of PsA) Its when there is a clear physical cause that these types of meds are used. HOWEVER despite the fact it has fewer side effects than some of the other powerful pain meds, it carries its own risks. It is most often given as linctus. This is un-acceptable for you. Pills only and carefully titrated. Also you need to carefully evaluate who is giving it to you and his experience doing it. Most of the data is terribly skewed. Its primary use is of course controlling addicts. These guys have taken so much stuff that their tolerances are very high. The other use is end of life. There is no euphoric effect, that can be a problem with nerve pain because frankly the buzz helps. ANY kind of lung infection/bronchitis/pneumonia is dangerous. I would DC it, but if its your only pain control source what do you do??? If you try it and don't like it, its hard to go back.

All that being said If it works, it works well. I'd try it were it me (I can't believe I'm saying it as everyone knows I am very anti-opiad) I'd get some opinions from others first. The amount of oxy you are taking is scary much.

I can't remember if you have insurance or bad insurance, I'm sorry. Is there any possibility of a pain pump through the university??? You would seen to be a prime candidate.

Prescribed by the right dr it can be a very effective pain medication for some. I would make sure the doc you are seeing is very knowledgeable with pain control and titrating the methadone. Have you tried fentanyl patches?
And yes Washington state still uses methadone and I believe when used correctly can be very effective.

Are you in a state with legalized marijuana? I mention this, because I read a clinical study by doctors where marijuana was shown to help with the pain and inflammation of arthritis - may have been PsA. Are there any clinical studies for marijuana for your medical issues? Just a thought.

Frances

So, your pain doctor has you taking 7x20mg Oxy and 6x10mg Oxy daily? The Mg is low but, taking that many you'll probably need the Methadone just to stop taking the Oxycodone. In my opinion your Dr. should've given you the time released 40mg or 80mg twice a day.

I take Percocet10/325 $60.00 without insurance for 120. And, Tylenol #4 but $120.00 with no insurance for 120 pills.

The Oxy 20mg is like $500.00 for 120 pills.

The Methadone acute is $30. for 120 pills. It's probably 1.5-2 times stronger than your Oxy and equally if not more addictive and deadly. One of the precautions is epilepsy or other seizure disorder you should tell your Dr. If you take the Gabapentin for seizures you should talk to your REAL Dr about taking Methadone.

It's up to you about saving the $30. But, if I had to decide I would make my 120 Percocet last a month or longer! It's not time released and sometimes I take a half and 3 hours later take the other half. You also have to wonder where you go from Methadone? What's next?

I wish I liked pot! I live in CA and sometimes I feel like they sell it next to the bubble gum at 7/11 !LOL! It's been sooo long (high school) maybe I'll try it again! Too bad we don't have White Castles out here!!

Frances said:

Are you in a state with legalized marijuana? I mention this, because I read a clinical study by doctors where marijuana was shown to help with the pain and inflammation of arthritis - may have been PsA. Are there any clinical studies for marijuana for your medical issues? Just a thought.

Frances

Thank you all for all of the feedback. I have to say that I'm 80% sure that oxycodone & oxycontin will continue as the treatment so far as I still can afford it. As I said, the insurance does reimburse for a good portion of the cost. Methadone seems to be an odd and confusing treatment option, the word "death" seems to be closly tied to it than does anything positive. However, since it is still offered as a treatmen, there has to be some benefit. The sad part of this while disscusion is the fact that we have to deal with all of this pain!

Just a reminder...Percocet is the same drug as Oxy. It just has acetamiophen (325 and 750mg). The price is a lot less for Percocet because it's not abused like Oxycontin is. That's why they changed Oxy to time-released and jacked the price up!

Yes, I was taking Percocet however I had been on different pain killers with "Acetamenophine" for so long that one of my blood tests showed that my liver enzymes were off so I was put on Oxy. 20mg (ER) and 10mg (Imediate release).

Robert said:

Just a reminder...Percocet is the same drug as Oxy. It just has acetamiophen (325 and 750mg). The price is a lot less for Percocet because it's not abused like Oxycontin is. That's why they changed Oxy to time-released and jacked the price up!