Starting Exercise again

Hi, ya'll,

Before my onset flare-up, I was walking 30 min on the treadmill or lifting weights M-F. I have chair-bound for about 2 months now. I'm eager to start walking (weightlifting may be out for a while given my finger joint issues). How do I know if I'm ready? I walked down to the first street corner and back a few days ago and felt awful afterward.

I don't want to gain weight and lose endurance but I also don't want to cause a flare-up. Thoughts?

Lorrie

Good for you that you are thinking about exercise again. Slow and gentle. You may want to talk to your doctor about a reconditioning program. If you have access to a pool, even just a few minutes a day of walking in shallow water might be a good start, and it takes the weight off your body.

The trick is to start with way less than you think you should do, and keep track and only go up very very slowly. After a flare (which will happen), drop back to what you were doing 2 levels ago (consulting your exercise notes). Compare only to yourself, not others. It's easy to say "I should be able to walk 1/2 block! no problem" and push it before your body is ready. If your body has a problem with 1/2 a block, start with much much less and work up. With a flare, drop back 2-3 levels.

I've found through experience, and work with a personal trainer, that this is, for me, the only effective way to keep on track.