First Post

At 36, Im too young for this, i say. I talk to my sister one day. She begins to tell me that i need to change my diet, stop smoking, stop drinking alcohol and exercise. She knows someone with Ra who is very active. As my “first” flare is now in month two. Between the side effects of steroids and medication changes, I can barely stand up straight and you want me to exercise. Yea, ok. Walk a day in my shoes and then talk to me, I say. I’m happy to find this site and see what others are dealing with and are not ignorant to the severity of symptoms and medications. I’ve browsed this site for a bit and i am so very grateful to you all.

Welcome!

It's frustrating when people who don't have PsA tell us to exercise. They have no idea what it's like to live in our bodies, or that exercise sometimes just isn't possible when you're in a big flare.

I do have to say that improving one's diet, quitting smoking and drinking in moderation are good ideas for anyone, PsA or not. Many people see improvement with diet changes, and anything we can do to be healthier is helpful.

Lots of love to you as you learn to live with PsA.

As a general rule, gentle exercise is a good idea. And gentle stretching may help make you more comfortable at times, especially if you are having some tendon issues. But for goodness sakes, listen to your body, not other people, about what might be possible on any given day.

I've managed to exercise through most everything so far, including some pretty bad flares. But it may mean changing up exercises for a bit. The only time that I was completely off exercising for a stretch was when I had a really bad multiple tendon flare up in my feet and ankles, and could barely limp around the house even.

Exercise is ALWAYS possible. EVEN IF it is only lifting a wine glass to your mouth :-) I have great anti inflammatory formula I make myself (lemon Balm) I will be bottling some more this afternoon to make sure I can exercise plenty.

Life may be different for you, but many of us have actually learned to value it more....

Now you may want to "reach out and touch" your sister but you are bit ahead of many of us.... She realizes you have a problem, some of us have family members who never get that far.

Yup better diet helps us if for no other reason than weight loss. Smoking causes inflammation (which is our problem to begin with) and what we don't move (joint wise) rusts. We just don't want to HEAR it from someone else. I know I don't

But once you start to fight this thing, you will be amazed at the effect YOU can have on your prognosis. fear the disease not the drugs, and remember those who wait at home for their drugs, or time, or rest to make them "better" rarely do.

Good luck, we are here for you.

Well in your sister's defense I'll say that before I had PsA I didn't know how awful joint and tendon pain could be. I have arthritis and could always exercise however PsA is totally different. PsA isn't a common thing and most people have no idea what it involves so they hear the arthritis part and think they understand. My hubby finally got it when I couldn't walk the dog or knit (2 things I really love) when I had my initial flare..

Thank you, it was more of a fight she was starting, like the nag part what about this and that. Im glad she is concerned better than not at all. I am quitting smoking now. I must say that its a struggle because I feel I’m being forced so my progress is not where I would like it to be. I wear the patch. Drinking alcohol is not an issue I have a drink on the weekends not overdoing it like everyday, maybe one day a week - Friday or Saturday. She was telling me about some diet the caveman diet which was ironically the same diet she was on. I just think people who have no idea about this condition do not have to right to give or push their thoughts on you especially when they have that belief that there is a magic cure and if I did all of that it will go away. As with her statement I know someone with Ra and she’s healthy, active and doing fine. I was just diagnosed in late October and just last week was the first time I was even able to go to work two days in a row because we finally found the proper dose of steroids for me and I have taken one dose of humira. Its just frustrating to listen to people not just her but my boss too. Ugh. My boss says well you were just playing softball this summer and moving boxes around. Really, cause I cant believe I have this disease either. I still cant accept the fact that I cant walk up and down the steps or that after feeling good for 3 days I was dancing in my kitchen only to be set back the next day in bed unable to move. I know im ranting now so I will stop but thanks for listening I feel better now :slight_smile:

You rant away we all go through so many emotions and don’t now if we are coming or going.we are now living life on a rollcoaster that we can’t get off.i have had psa for 6 years now and only this year have learned to except
It( most of the time) in the last 18 months I have lost 8 stone in weight.everyone kept saying I bet your psa is better now .it drives me mad .it did not get any better until i started humira.when I was having a good few months before humira I loved walking and we live right by the side of a mountain .i loved walking up it and the view from the top is to die for and sometimes I would do it and know I would pay later.but I had to admit defeat when i got to bad( not easy climbing mountains with crutches) having a balance is a good thing but if we stop we think we are giving into it.pacing ourselves is the right way to go but a hard thing to learn.when my humira started working I decorated my livingroom only to be told off by my rheumy nurse.she said its not a miracle cure and you still have to pace yourself.my hubby is a lovely man ,he never moans or complains when I have had to spend days in bed.but he gets mad when people make comments more than I do.i have to try to tell him it’s hard for them to understand.he lives with me and knows if I could do something myself I would.they see you without crutches one day and think you are all better but we know that’s never going to happen.they just can’t understand how you can be semi normal one day and then hadly able to move the next.I hope the humira works for you .it has made a great difference to my life.i may even be able to climb the mountain again next spring/summer next year.good luck with giving up he fags.
Bye for now
Milly