Starting Cimzia next week

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I start Cimzia next week. Anybody taking this?

I have not taken Cimzia, but I am sure that someone here has plenty of experience to share with you. I just wanted to welcome you!

Our mantra here is, “Fear the disease, not the drugs.” Hopefully, you’ve found a home here. If no one posts about this, I’ll do some research for you.

I've not heard much anywhere about Cimzia. My docs are pretty high on it. The initial approvals were Phase 3 RAPID-PsA so there was pretty significant data to begin with. I have friend who takes it for Chrons, and swears she has her life back as a result. The only thing I have heard from my doc is that its a "slow starter" and that the aftermarket numbers are super. FWIW, its on my short list. I'm getting closer to a change.

Is this your first Biologic?

I am 2 doses past the loading dose and so far so good. This is my 4th Biologic so far the best

There are more should the Cimzia not work. IF Remicade becomes the last option and i doubt it will, there are a couple ways around the cost we might be able help with. On the other hand if Simponi was a complete wipe out, its not likley remicade would have been much better, They are virtually identical in function..................

I started taking Bio's a long time ago. As a statistician I had to admit this but I read the chance of cancer being 1 in 100 as oppose to .01 in a 100 patient years (a difference about 1 in 10,000)

I only say this because when hear about people immobilized with fear about taking biologicals or in your case Groovy Lady being bashed for taking them on that other board, I always have to wonder if those folks really have the disease. I'm serious.

When I heard 1 in a 100 chance of getting a fatal cancer for a 50 50 chance of improving my pain levels all I could say and I'm not kidding "do I have to bend over for that shot????" of course we know now the whole cancer thing is bogus. I hurt so bad I could have cared less. You will come through this kiddo even though it doesn't seem like it at times

Tntlamb are you referring to Simponi Aria or Simponi when you say Remicade is virtually identical in function to Simponi. I ask because I've failed on Humira and Enbrel and am currently taking Simponi. I do ok for the first three weeks but then it starts wearing off about 5-6 days before my next shot. I'll probably go to Cimzia next, with Remicade up to bat next should that fail. But if it's not going to work any better than the Simponi..... My doctor has seen good results with Remicade and while it is my choice of last resort, it made me hopeful that Remicade was an option should all the other biologics fail.

tntlamb said:

There are more should the Cimzia not work. IF Remicade becomes the last option and i doubt it will, there are a couple ways around the cost we might be able help with. On the other hand if Simponi was a complete wipe out, its not likley remicade would have been much better, They are virtually identical in function..................

Its a difference in the protein binding mechanism that seperates these meds and how they are produced. Humira for example works in your whole body, while enbrel concentrates on white blood cells.

WAAAAY oversimplified Simponi, SimponiAria, and Remicade are unique in that they fool the body with a completley different tnf. In this technology, in which genetically engineered mice are immunized with human TNF. Its pure mouse so antibodies are developed, thus the need for MTX. You didn't fail Simponi or the technology so you will be fine and Reimmicade is still a great arrow in your quiver.

In the next few years we will have actual blood tests that will match the Biologic to the individual. There was technology developed several years ago by a private lab just up the road from me and being refined at the NIH lab in Hamilton Montana that will allow personalization of the Bio drugs. we are already doing so with some cancer drugs. This is an exciting time.

Thanks so much. It's not been a great morning so it's heartening to hear Remicade is still a viable option.
tntlamb said:

Its a difference in the protein binding mechanism that seperates these meds and how they are produced. Humira for example works in your whole body, while enbrel concentrates on white blood cells.

WAAAAY oversimplified Simponi, SimponiAria, and Remicade are unique in that they fool the body with a completley different tnf. In this technology, in which genetically engineered mice are immunized with human TNF. Its pure mouse so antibodies are developed, thus the need for MTX. You didn't fail Simponi or the technology so you will be fine and Reimmicade is still a great arrow in your quiver.

In the next few years we will have actual blood tests that will match the Biologic to the individual. There was technology developed several years ago by a private lab just up the road from me and being refined at the NIH lab in Hamilton Montana that will allow personalization of the Bio drugs. we are already doing so with some cancer drugs. This is an exciting time.

I started on Cimzia, my 4th biologic. Done two rounds of doses so far. Hoping for good things. Expecting it to take a while, like everything else. Hope you have a good response!

Hey Groovyreba,

I just started Cimzia too. Today is week 2, 2-200 shots today.

I was 6 week off Humira after a bad reaction, before that 2 years on Enbrel.

That 6 weeks will really remind you where you were without the biologics.I was feeling like someone was whittling on my shoulders. Like I had whiplash and must have had a terrible rollerskating accident. Like I even remember how to skate!

just days after the shot I was 50 percent better, especially the fatigue.

Now at week 2 I was happy to get the next dose because it helped so much, much better than I ever felt on Enbrel. It also hurts less to inject.

Good Luck

Groovyreba,

How are you doing on Cimizia? I hope you are doing well. It's working well for me except I still have some inflammation in the tendons in my feet and toes. I try to control that with resting my feet on ice packs, even under my desk at work. Yes, people get to see my pretty feet :-)