Anyone tried cimzia for Psa?

Anyone tried cimzia for psa yet? Ive been on mtx for the past 2.5 yrs, has cleared my skin, but joints still hurt. So dr is suggesting cimzia or humira. These are also the 2 meds ins wants me to try before others. I haven’t heard much on cimzia and am curious.

I just took my second dose of Cimzia. I tried Enbrel before that. So far, it's been uninteresting except for site reactions. The loading dose at original dose and weeks 2 and 4 is two shots if you're doing the prepared syringes, and I'd start with two different places, like anterior thighs or one thigh and stomach. Did you do subcutaneous MTX?

I’ve tried the pills then switched to injections. Just talked to my dr today and she said I could up the amount of mtx to a full dose , so currently I am on 0.8 will be using 10 Sunday , since I am hesitant to try a biologic. We did try to get the ins. company to approve otezla but they said to try humira & cimzia first.

The biologics have some scary side effects, but they happen really rarely, whereas the MTX has significant side effects that happen in a ton of people. Take a look at the stats on the meds. They're all pretty intimidating, for sure.

If I had my druthers, I would choose Humira first if I hadn't tried and failed Enbrel. Cimzia's pretty new.

Where do I find the stats on the meds? I just cracked a molar tonite, not even chewing hard foods. I was wondering if mtx effects people’s teeth and should I stop mtx before I have dental work? I am sure it’s going to have to be pulled and I always had nice teeth and took very good care of them. This stinks :frowning: thank you Rosen for the info and answering my questions… :slight_smile:

I've never heard of MTX doing that, honestly, but stranger things have happened. I wouldn't stop any medication without a doctor's order to do so, unless I was having an adverse reaction or had been told to if something specific happened (like with the Cimzia, I'm not supposed to take it if I have symptoms of an infection like a fever.)

Medication guides will usually have stats in them from medication trials and post-marketing experience. It gets kind of complex, especially if you're not familiar with the terminology. Tntlamb, one of the moderators, seems up to speed on all that- try messaging him or play around on the National Institutes of Health website.

Just FYI- my rheumatologist told me today that Cimzia generally takes longer to be effective than other biologics (like there wouldn't be as many people getting that burst of health after a shot or two), but can be very effective if it works for the person.

I failed on Humira, Enbrel, and Simponi. I started Cimzia and am doing much better. The fatigue lessened and my good hand is minimally stiff. I felt relief by my 2nd shot.

1 Like

Dee, there's some helpful information in the Newbie's Guide, HERE

Dee35 said:

Where do I find the stats on the meds? I just cracked a molar tonite, not even chewing hard foods. I was wondering if mtx effects people's teeth and should I stop mtx before I have dental work? I am sure it's going to have to be pulled and I always had nice teeth and took very good care of them. This stinks :( thank you Rosen for the info and answering my questions... :)

hello! this post may be too old perhaps to be as useful as i would like but, in any case i would imagine if your insurance wanted you on cimzia that you have probably already started and now likely have your own experiential info/life data. i came to cimzia after trying humera (and embril) without much success.

for me. I have been on cimzia for the last 6 months. also on 1.2 cc's MTX per week. this duo combo most certainly has helped me to some degree but I am still working on finding the best case things.

joint stuff is still not great. i have been able to continue working full time (i work at a school mostly with younger kids so i do quite a lot of moving at work) but i am still not even close to finding a reasonable new approach to being the athletic person i would like to be/what my Rheum thinks is possible/worth shooting for.

as soon as the ins goes through (luckily?) i have tried a handfull of biologics by now so it will be harder for ins to deny me. but up next is Remicade and MTX.

i would have gone on to another biologic but with my worsening eye issues Rheum wanted something that was an FDA approved dual threat.

i was very hopeful in the beginning on Cimzia. took some dance classes again. very cool stuff. just not quite as good as what i am hoping is possible.

HEARTS!

Hi everyone...thank you for all the responses and helpful info. I did some research cimzia and reading and more reading.

My rheumy raised my methotrexate dose to the highest i could have it and so far i don't think its going to help any further with relieving my pain.One thing i have noticed is it helped clear up my nails. :) So i think I am going to call today and ask to be started on cimzia.

Do i need any specific blood tests or maybe a tb test. Thought i read that somewhere?

I am now noticing the the inner sides of my knees have protruded a little. and i can not stand with my feet touching together anymore because of that. I had knee pain in the right knee, to the touch, since about 8 years now but have notice pain during activity since last year and the left knee started with pain to the touch last year. I dont recall this being part of PSA.

Cece, Rosen, and Twentysomethingdavid, how has it been so far on the cimzia? Are you still on it or have you switched and how has it helped so far?

Thanks again for all the help.

I've been on Cimzia for a year and a half, max dose of MTX as well. I feel much better than I ever did on Humira. It has cleared up my toenails, I had dactylitis and psoriatic toenails that was not controlled before. I also noticed that I have much less fatigue than before. If you take it, I hope you have good luck!

Cimzia was just approved and delivered to my house yesterday and I spent all last night reading all the instructions and paperwork. Also watched a few videos on you tube. I think i am going to start my loading dose tonight. just have to get up the courage. I am used to injecting mtx, a full dose weekly. So i guess it wont be much of a difference. Did you have any pain with injection or have any tips? Side effects?? Im glad its working for you and hope the same for me.

I personally find the injections less painful than the auto-injector "pens" that stab you with that horrible sound. I prefer to inject around the stomach. I kind of slouch forward so that I'm not using my ab muscles and grab a spot to inject (let go of the pinch once you start injecting). It works better if you use a firm quick stick and the needle is short, so you don't need to worry about going too deep, I go all the way. Then I just slowly depress the plunger and quit for a second if it starts to sting, then start back up. If you take a break, be careful not to pull the needle out.

Did you have side effects right away Mel B??? Was wondering if i should do the Cimzia at night or if its okay doing it in the daytime? Like mtx, i did it at bedtime so i wouldn't feel so crappy.

I felt a little tired the next day after my first loading dose, I usually do mine in the evening as well. It's hard to say though, I was having a flare so I could have just been tired. I don't notice the shots making me tired any more, but I wouldn't say I had any severe side effects at any rate.

Thank you Mel, Tomorrow is going to be warm and sunny which we haven't seen in a while...so i am going to give it a try tomorrow night just in case i am fatigued from it. The weekend weather sat & sun are going to be dreary and damp so that will work out great for me.

SOOOOOOOOOOO.. whats happening How did it go?

Thanks for asking, So far so good. I wasn't feeling to well since i started the cimzia and just this past 2 days i think im starting to come around a bit. I started it on the 13th of march and did 2 shots then 2 weeks after that i did 2 more. I am going to do one more 2 shot loading dose and then it is 2 shots a month. I froze my belly before i did the inj. and i also watched YouTube video of a professional showing how to give the inj. No different then the Mtx inj I do. The substance is a bit thicker so you have to do it slow, no bruising, just a little dis-colorization on the sites. My joints started actually hurting worse then they ever did, even ones that never hurt, not sure if this was a coincidence... and felt a little tired the next day.

So I am still crossing my fingers that it works and they said it could take up to 3 months to see any results. So as of now i am smiling :) ...and I also was able to take both of my dogs for a 20 walk today!!

I have had my second maintenance dose of Cimzia. I was getting discouraged but think it is helping with my joint pain, etc. Good Luck.