SSRIs and Tramadol

Hi
I just found out, thru a friend, that you can get serotonin syndrome from taking an SSRI type of antidepressant and Tramadol at the same time. This may have been what was causing my tongue to swell and hurt.

I googled it and she was right. Not too happy with my GP for not catching this. But glad that I can stop it from happening!

Its always been a possibility with the SSRI's. Its also a pretty common side effect from many pain meds. Tramadol is not as "harmless" as thought. Serotonin syndrome is becoming all too common with Tramadol. Tramadol is an analgesic medication that affects serotonin and norepinephrine. Toxicity from tramadol appears to be due to monoamine uptake inhibition rather than its opioid effects. I would hazzard a guess that it will soon join stadol and other synthetics as a "what the hell were we thinking" drug.

I haven't heard of the tongue thing, but I suppose its possible. More commonly they hallucinate or die. Seritonin Syndrome is very serious and one should be in the ER immediatly.

It's always helpful to take a meds list to a pharmacy and have them plug everything in for a med check.

I've taken an SSRI for 15 years, and there are many meds that can have consequences when taken with them.