Side effects

I didn't see bleeding gums on that list. Is that a side effect of MTX?

My gums are bleeding everyday and quite painful. Do the side effects ever get better?

Hi, I havent heard of that particular side effect but Im pretty sure it can effect your platelet count which can cause things like bleeding gums and easy bruising. I take it they are checking your bloods every few weeks? I didnt have a good time on methotrexate and had to be taken off it,which was unfortunate in that it improved my joints no end. Iv been on leflunomide but have just had to cease that cos of liver function probs so in limbo atm.

Make sure you are taking folic acid every day while you are on MTX. It helps with all the side effects but especially sore mouth. I thought prednisone worked on all inflammatory arthritises. Most of us can't stay on it due to it's terrible effects on the body with long term use. What dose did your Rheumy prescribe ?

I'm due to check blood again in 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear that you are in limbo. I hope you find something that helps you.

sophie said:

Hi, I havent heard of that particular side effect but Im pretty sure it can effect your platelet count which can cause things like bleeding gums and easy bruising. I take it they are checking your bloods every few weeks? I didnt have a good time on methotrexate and had to be taken off it,which was unfortunate in that it improved my joints no end. Iv been on leflunomide but have just had to cease that cos of liver function probs so in limbo atm.

I’m also on 10mg/wk. I started folic acid 2 weeks before I started the MTX. That was my decision after reading all of the MTX discussions on here. It seems to have really helped. I don’t really experience any side effects. I also inject the MTX instead of taking it orally. There are quite a few people who have opted to do this because it really cuts back on the side effects. So, I do a subcutaneous injection every Friday night. The only thing I have noticed so far is a little lower GI distress, but I also have IBS. I’m not sure if its from the medication or from my already irritable tummy.

I agree that you should probably have your labs checked for the bleeding gums. That is something that you should definitely report to the doctor’s office. Give them a call today and leave a message for your doc. I’m pretty sure he/she would want to know about that.

Hey, lady!
I was on steroids for a few months, but did not see a whole lot of improvement with them. Honestly, I’m not sure if i saw any. in fact, i remember having some of my worst times when i was taking prednisone. The prednisone also made my skin feel really tender and tear easily. I don’t know why. I think I’m just weird. :wink:

michael in vermont said:

Make sure you are taking folic acid every day while you are on MTX. It helps with all the side effects but especially sore mouth. I thought prednisone worked on all inflammatory arthritises. Most of us can’t stay on it due to it’s terrible effects on the body with long term use. What dose did your Rheumy prescribe ?

1) Talk to your doctor.

2) Weren't you also prescribed folic acid? I was prescribed I think 1mg/day. A kid's multi-vitamin has 0.4 mg. I believe the folic acid is supposed to prevent what you're going through. Anyway you can start taking it right away, it won't hurt you. It's prescribed to pregnant mothers after all.

Doc also prescribed folic acid. I take 1mg each day.
I’ll mention to the rheumatologist. Just wondered if anyone else might have experienced these symptoms or side effects.