Shoulder Replacement Tomorrow

I am nervous,not because of the pain so much...but because I will be helpless and my family is the most unsupportive family you can have. They've both told me they are not going to help me. I'm going to be immobilized without any help....The thought of it makes me want to cry. I won't be able to shower or toilet myself adequately...(although I do have a device for it...just not sure about doing it with one hand)

I might as well live alone. Except that I can't do that either. My PsA and RA and glaucoma and SJ....all are kicking my butt.

Can u go into a rehab center , or have some service come a couple times during the day?

I'm definitely going to try for that....It all depends on insurance...whether or not they will approve.. The head ortho nurse just called me....she remembers me from my hip replacements.....I told her my concerns ...she said because of the diffuse areas of arthritis in my body, they may approve a subacute rehab.

Great. Then tell the family to kiss off. Lol

Everybody is different, but when I had my first one (i'm doing the other one in a few weeks have an appointment on thurs) I had few troubles. Wore a night shirt and went commando and stayed in my recliner. If the shouler you have done is different than the sid as the handle just keep a chunk of 2 x 4 to lower it with and rope tied on to raise it (worked for me) I fixed two of my meals a day (if you call scrambled eggs, energy shakes and cold cereal meals) The only real problem I had was when my damn dog thought i was playing fetch when I dropped the remote and he took off with it. I had the dang TV autotune to the Hallmark channel. I kept a walker close by to get up and down with.

My family was too helpful.... I just wanted left alone (and the remote back) They finally got the message

Just wanted you to know that you'll be in my thoughts tomorrow. You've waited a long time for this, and I hope it goes smoothly.

Thank you all..I'm sure it will all work out somehow.. thank you for your support.
Stoney said:

Just wanted you to know that you'll be in my thoughts tomorrow. You've waited a long time for this, and I hope it goes smoothly.

Waiting to hear how you're doing... hopefully you're feeling OK. Hang in there!

You WILL get through this.............

Sorry you are going through a rough patch.

Praying for you," all things are possible with God", stay strong and things will get better. God Bless

hi all.

I'm two days post surgery. Pain is very bad .My problem though is remembering NOT to lift my arm on its own power. (I just had a total shoulder replacement surgery. I got home from the hospital yesterday. All of my recliners have the bar on the same side as my bad shoulder.Fortunately the one in my room is electric and it will dump me out onto the floor if I want it to. sorry.t hat's all Ican type now...hurts too much.

Oh honey. Thinking of u. U rest plz. Huggs. Karen
Qadosh2him said:

hi all.

I'm two days post surgery. Pain is very bad .My problem though is remembering NOT to lift my arm on its own power. (I just had a total shoulder replacement surgery. I got home from the hospital yesterday. All of my recliners have the bar on the same side as my bad shoulder.Fortunately the one in my room is electric and it will dump me out onto the floor if I want it to. sorry.t hat's all Ican type now...hurts too much.

keep the belly strap on uour sling!!!!! Yeah I knoy you feel like a trussed pig..... The flexing of thpse muscles hurt but pays off in the long run. Hang in there these couple days are the worst.

Qadosh2him said:

hi all.

Thinking of you and wishing you a painless as possible recovery. You have lots of support here with your PsA friends. Let us know how you are doing.

My sling does not have a belly strap and I wish it did...the sling keeps working its way back until all it is holding is my elbow. I'm wearing a comfortable pair of "jammies" which i bought new for the occasion. Needed SOME reason to feel good.

I had no idea that today is Friday. I have an infusion next Friday. and see my pain doc and my eye doc the week after that.I'm hoping to feel a little better by then. Wondering what news I will hear from the eye doc this time. If those ducts he put into my eyes have closed up that could mean some bad stuff.,,,I can't think about that now...ONe thing at a time.

1. hi....surgery was a week ago tomorrow. Pain is still very intense. My daughter has been helping me with the only two exercises Im allowed to do...just to keep my joints from freezing up. I should be getting an at-home PT/OT person soon. I've had the nurse by twice....God knows why...I don't need a nurse, I need PT.. I haven't been out of the house yet.This Friday I have to go to NY to get my Actemra infusion.My dad will be driving me to that. I have a hemi walker (a onehanded contraption)
  2. My daughter has been a wonderful help...She doesn't even get upset if I need her in the middle of the night. On the other hand my husband hasn't lifted a finger to help and isn't even talking to me except to curse me out.OH well..Nothing surprises me.

I'm so glad your daughter is helping and I'm sorry your husband isn't. I hope you can not let him cause you stress. Stress = longer recovery. If you're feeling sad, or stressed, just come here and all your friends will cheer you up and give you support.

We are only a click away :-)

warmly,

Frances

What a wonderful surprise, that your daughter has stepped up to the plate and is helping you out. You knew that your husband would be of no help.

Keep healing!

Thank you Frances. I have been going nuts with cabin fever. The3' of snow and ice outside combiined with my arm being in a sling means that Ihave to think really carefully before putting a foot out the door.I'veonly been out maybe two or three times since my surgery a month ago today. Today I have an infusion and honestly I'm looking forward to it, just for a change of scenery and some friendly faces.(those nurses are angels). Tomorrow my daughter and my husband are goign to a movie marathon and will be gone for about 14 hours or more....So my dad and my mom are taking me out. Throw my wheelchair in the trunk and we're off. I'm really looking forward to it. Not sure where we'll go..maybe to a Whole Foods store. I've never been to one and would LOVE to go....besides I have only a little money and there is no food in the house. So I need to spend wisely. But it will be fun to be out...even though a cold front is coming with rain and temps dropping.

Take care and thanks for the virtual hugs.

Cynthia

Frances said:

I'm so glad your daughter is helping and I'm sorry your husband isn't. I hope you can not let him cause you stress. Stress = longer recovery. If you're feeling sad, or stressed, just come here and all your friends will cheer you up and give you support.

We are only a click away :-)

warmly,

Frances

Cynthia,

I'm glad you're getting out of the house! That should boost your spirits no matter where you go !