Isn't it funny

So I had my shoulder surgery on Tuesday,before it I had loads of pain in my foot,thumb etc. That all seems insignificant now, my shoulder is freaking killing me. I had a ton of scar tissue in there that was removed but then left a hole. That was fixed as well as a bone spur removed & decompression. He also fixed my RC. Arm in sling for 6 weeks,it’s my right shoulder & I’m right handed gulp!! Still I’m warm & cosy watching more snow fall in NC!

Doesn’t sound a bit funny to me! (But yes, there’s something about extreme pain that makes you forget about the small potatoes … :wink:
Stay warm, and nurse that arm. And take those pain meds!
Let us know how it goes for you.

Good luck with your recovery, LindseyLou. The first thing I said to my rheumatologist when he gave me cortisone shots in my hip bursae to treat a whole mess of inflammation and pain was "oh my God my knees are killing me!" It wasn't until I could no longer feel my hips that I realized how much pain there was everywhere else. Our minds are marvelous machines and their ability to keep us going is quite amazing. So, while I'm sorry for your extreme pain I'm also glad that you get a break from thinking about toes and ankles and fingers and knees for a while!!

I had that experience when I sprained my foot the other day. Too bad that pain is now low level enough that I can feel the rest of my joint pain once again.

Was the doctor relatively happy with the surgery? Good luck in your recovery.

I accidentally posted twice

Qadosh2him said:

I had a right shoulder replacement almost three weeks ago.. For me,the pain I had in my shoulder prior to the surgery has made the post-surgical pain not a very big deal.....However my neck which has hurt consistently prior to the surgery as well as now, has worsened,,,,my guess is that the weight of the sling around my neck has aggravated the shoulder pain. I don't think they will ever catch up with all the surgeries I need to relieve pain.

I hope your shoulder continues to relieve pain. Hold on to your hope.

Cynthia

Cynthia

I know the feeling. I had a CT scan with contrast on Tuesday. They called it a "milegram"? It is like a spinal tap but they inject a contrast in your spinal fluid rather than remove fluid. I was hurting really bad I could not standup straight. I could not walk or lie down. I had the imaging done which landed me in the hospital for 8 hours it was schedule for 3 hours. I was feeling okay when I left. About 15 minutes in the car and it all came back and more. I get to travel 70 miles tomorrow for a dentist appointment and 350 mile (5 hour, 175 miles each way with no stops) on Monday to see my rheumy. I think I would rather stay home and watch it rain. But I need to see my Rheumy bad! I need something for the pain.

My heavens where do you live that there isn't a rheumy closer than 175 miles? I think I would stay in a motel overnight. I will never again complain about driving 54 miles to see my rheumy (round trip). I guess we all do what we must to take care of ourselves.

To Lindseylou: Best of luck with your recovery. Will you be doing some physical therapy too?

Not Understood said:

I know the feeling. I had a CT scan with contrast on Tuesday. They called it a "milegram"? It is like a spinal tap but they inject a contrast in your spinal fluid rather than remove fluid. I was hurting really bad I could not standup straight. I could not walk or lie down. I had the imaging done which landed me in the hospital for 8 hours it was schedule for 3 hours. I was feeling okay when I left. About 15 minutes in the car and it all came back and more. I get to travel 70 miles tomorrow for a dentist appointment and 350 mile (5 hour, 175 miles each way with no stops) on Monday to see my rheumy. I think I would rather stay home and watch it rain. But I need to see my Rheumy bad! I need something for the pain.

Thats interesting about the slings. I've got a big $hot from $eattle coming in to do mine in a few weeks (hes also doing some training for the locals). I'm in a sling now WITH belly strap, because the damage is bad enough they think I could do some serious damage if I move it around. For me basically no sling AFTER the surgery which is a total replacement (usually not nearly as bad as a big dusting and cleaning Job like lindseylou had) and a bunch of work to the tendons top side and no rotator cuff work because there isn't one, This guy says no sling except the first few days after surgery, and then pretty much just to keep the "ice machine" working (those are cool) and after that only when stupidity is imminent (like lifting grand children) The big advantage is a whole lot less PT. Apparently the Swedish Orthopedic Institute where he works determine that more rehab was necessary from the sling than the surgery. We shall see..........

All I can say is good luck to all.

No PT for two weeks,sling comes of for showering only. Then PT 2-3 times a week for what seems like ages. According to the doc this should eliminate most if not all of my shoulder pain…yippee :slight_smile:

I had one of those kind and it worked well...... You WILL feel better just watch out for PTs with surgical tubing. It IS NOT to siphon off a bit of beer fro close by Keg. Us TSR's have an easier time of than you repair folk. The simply cut off all the sore stuff throw it away and glue on some new stuff.........

Call your Doc IMMEDIATLY DO NOT WAIT or appear in the ER chances are 90% that you have either a slow leak or an infection if any part of that pain is a HEAD ACHE. In any event you should NOT have pain from a myelogram

Not Understood said:

I talked to my ortho surgeon about the belly sling....and he said with the severity of my arthritis, I would lose the use of my arm....it would totally freeze up. I've done some stupid things that hurt like Heck and I can only pray that I did not damage anything. He told me he cut my rotator cuff in half to be able to get access to the joint, then he sewed it back together....so it was essentially a rotator cuff tear in addition to the replacement.

tntlamb said:

Thats interesting about the slings. I've got a big $hot from $eattle coming in to do mine in a few weeks (hes also doing some training for the locals). I'm in a sling now WITH belly strap, because the damage is bad enough they think I could do some serious damage if I move it around. For me basically no sling AFTER the surgery which is a total replacement (usually not nearly as bad as a big dusting and cleaning Job like lindseylou had) and a bunch of work to the tendons top side and no rotator cuff work because there isn't one, This guy says no sling except the first few days after surgery, and then pretty much just to keep the "ice machine" working (those are cool) and after that only when stupidity is imminent (like lifting grand children) The big advantage is a whole lot less PT. Apparently the Swedish Orthopedic Institute where he works determine that more rehab was necessary from the sling than the surgery. We shall see..........

Good deal.... stay bundled up and have fun watching everyone else do the shoveling this year! Have some cocoa,watch some movies and nap, nap nap until you feel better.

Tntlamb, I do not have any problems from the myelogram. I am have problems with my hip and low back. They put additional fluid in my spine, I was sore for several hours after. They gave me a local for the procedure. That is where the pain went away for several hours. The PA who did it say I would be sore for a day or two once the additional fluid is absorbed.

I now have the hip pain back it burns with every step and I can not straighten up to walk again, I have to lean forward otherwise the pain is to great. I am hoping that they find the problem.

The factory rep for my spinal stimulator thinks it is the facets on one of my vertebra are inflamed. I am taking muscle relaxers to help calm the pain. My legs are screaming at me now. I have been down for about 9 days now. Laying down is worse then standing when I try to straighten out. I have to be in a fetal position to get any relief.

I never got the headache that the PA said could be possible...I went in with a huge one and left with a little one, so I thankful for that.

tntlamb said:

Call your Doc IMMEDIATLY DO NOT WAIT or appear in the ER chances are 90% that you have either a slow leak or an infection if any part of that pain is a HEAD ACHE. In any event you should NOT have pain from a myelogram

Not Understood said:

It's amazing, isn't it? I had so much 24/7 pain from my left shoulder troubles (total replacement August 23), I didn't realize what was reflected pain from the neck troubles or from my left hip.

Take the meds. Keep up with the ice machine, if you have one. Sleeping in a recliner also helps.

I stopped ALL my meds on Tues. for pre op. Turned down pain meds figuring I'll want those later on. The furnitur company just left having delivered 2 new electric recliners. (one for each floor) I sent the " nannies" ( my grandaughters live in hab aids to Whitefish Mountain sking for the weekend, my grandaughter is at the Respite house, and my wife is somewhere between Houston and Belize in the Caribbean Princess. My pain level a normal 4-5 are at a 7. The phones are off and my email is forwarding.

Its just me a a plate of organic brownies, netflix, and a mellow 18 yearold (scotch)

I havent felt this good in several years. Sometimes just a change is good.

The pain doesn't seem to matter.

Yesterday was an awful day. Pain was bad & I got a fever,chills & a terrible headache. I feel better today,hopefully enough that I may have a little JD tonight. There is one thing I am not worried about & that would be getting addicted to pain meds,it’s just not gonna happen.
On another note I have 8 places where he stuck the scope through,that’s five more than I was expecting!
Lamb when is your surgery? I wanted to send you good wished. Enjoy your alone time :slight_smile:

Sending healing thoughts your way and wishing you a speedy recovery!