Ribs

Does anyone else get sharp pains in there ribs? I’ve been getting sharp pains in my ribs since November. I thought it was all my stomach issues but my lower part of my ribs hurt it will stop for awhile and the start back up again. And they are tender to touch. I noticed online that PSA can cause rib pains. Just wondering if I should give my rheumy a call…

I definitely do- a moist heating pad works wonders, as does a shower. It’s really the pits, isn’t it? I had a really hard time with the rib involvement at first, because I was alarmed by the chest pain. I hope yours resolves very quickly!

Oh do I have that problem too! That what was what got me my diagnosis in October.I had been dealing with the pain since mid July last year but it never went away just dulled a little at times. I have had issues with a rib over rotating since childhood. Sometimes flooring pain when it would stick and not go into position on its own. I had to have someone crack it back in place or go to doctor for pain and muscle relaxers until it reset itself. I had been just dealing with it on my own when it happened until July when I went to urgent care for first time in years. Xrays, MRIs, chiropractor, and many appointment later it is PSA. This is by far my worst area thought many other parts have joined in since. I have big issues when showering, blow drying hair or things like that set it off quickly. I also work as a millwright (industrial mechanic) which can make a healthy fit person sore on the job depending on the days tasks. I take indomethacin which helps a lot and massage helps with relaxing the muscles. I would never recommend chiropractic work again knowing what I do now. I have pain in my clavical I didn’t beforehand I felt great when I left but the pain increase 10 fold for days after. You are the first person I have met so far that has this as a complaint though I am new I do feel like an expert in this area so let me know if I can provide more info or detail! You are not alone and

I couldn’t tell at first where all the pain was coming from. Now it’s obvious where it is. The pain I get is at the lower part of my ribs soonest towards my back and it will radiate towards my sternum. Its driving me crazy… Uggggh… I just want to be normal again. I don’t know if I should call my rheumy and talk to her and see what she thinks cause the 10mg of prednisone isn’t touching it to much.

It is at times unbearable! Mine involve mid back and wrap to front sounds exactly the same. Hurts to take deep breaths which is a normal reaction to pain but in this case just agravates it. So frustrating! Indomethacin is a NCAID that I’d used for throaxic pain works better than anything else except for pain meds but I try to be careful with those because they mask everything and can easily overdue it . That means more pain when they wear off because I didn’t notice. I also have to be very careful of my breathing when I raise my hands and arms over my shoulders can in one breath ruin a good week in seconds. Hopefully for you this is not the main area for long seems like everyone has one part hands, feet, knees etc that are major flare points for me its this. I like heat packs for muscles and tendons with light stretching but you have to be gentle on the pull. Hard when it’s what keeps us upright and every movement requires back strength but it like the rest of our woes they come and go in intensity. Hang in there!

Oh yes, and I'd say PsA can strike many parts of a body. Ribs, I think, are a fairly common location. My rib pain is occasional and has been in the back, the side, and the center of my chest. Sometimes I wonder if the pain I had in my lower ribs during my last pregnancy 24 years ago was PsA pain--long before I was diagnosed. And it is tender to any pressure, which makes it feel like there's a sore under the skin.

I should mention I use predisone too but I do a taper treatment during flares. When I flare my hands usually start swelling at same time.I have never had a small 2 mg dose they start at 20 mg and taper down giving quick but short term results.