Remicade infusion results

One of my jobs is teaching meditation, and leading them. 40 years of meditation has helped me deal with pain…

I could do with some alternative pain relief these days. That’s for sure. The pelvic fracture is just broken bone pain. A somewhat dull persistent constant ache. Manageable if not just tiring. Reacts appropriately to pain killers. But my adductor long muscle is spasming. That just makes me cry out and then sob. And simply doesn’t react with painkillers. So the GP gave me low dose diazepam for it. It worked but I so hate how it makes me feel. Trying to do without it today and of course that horrid adductor muscle is starting up again. Presently beyond frustrated.

Anyway distract me and tell me what are your other other jobs?

First of all, I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain, that is not fun!
As far as my duties:
I am instructing the guests on how to make pottery! I lead meditations, and counsel the guests, they come on retreat for weeks up to a couple of years.

My main hobby is restoring antique flutes, and also making replica flutes used for Irish music. I have about 40 in my shop waiting for restoration. I have restored crystal flutes, ivory flutes from the late 18th century. I also do woodworking, and silversmithing, and silver casting. I like the challenge! It is a challenge with my fingers hurting!

What a fabulous lifestyle Jon. I’m Irish but can’t play an Irish flute. I do harbour dreams of learning how to play the saxophone though and busking in Canterbury when I’m 65 for the hell of it! I live in the UK now. However I can only imagine how frustrating this disease must be for you, given what you do. You should post some pictures of your restorations as I would imagine they’re beautiful.

You’ll be glad to know the pain levels eased off yesterday. I also managed to get out and buy a walker to which I’ve attached a box which at least allows me to get stuff from a to b in my house as of course when you’re on crutches you can’t carry anything like a cup of coffee! That frankly has made me so much happier. It’s always the little things…

A week or so in California with mediation and pottery “thrown” in to boot? [note to self: how much vacation time do I have left this year?] Sounds lovely. We have a really active pottery guild in our town and I’ve always wanted to learn to throw a pot on a wheel. But I’ve resisted in recent years because of the pain in my hands. But I’m determined I’ll do it. One day.

It’s so reassuring to hear someone finding a lifestyle to accommodate their illness. So many find the illness fully compromises their lifestyle and then the struggle sets in.

May you find an answer to your questions. Oh and that deal with the comment about Raynaud’s? While true that it’s a plausible explanation, that smells like–oh, look a bull!

Yes, I am blessed with a nice mellow lifestyle.
You can pick up the penny whistle, that is pretty easy on the hands, and it would drive the stuffed shirts of Canterbury up the wall!
Good to hear that the pain eased up on you.
I am feeling pretty good, I think the Remicade may be helping! Once I adjusted my expectations, realizing it will be limited in pain elimination, as I have so much OA pain.
My MRI next Saturday should be interesting, I will be very surprised if they don’t find anything, as the previous MRI’s were pretty ugly.
I am HLA B27 negative, so maybe that is why I am not frozen solid after 30 years of this… My previous Rheumy wrote it down wrong, and said that I was positive, then my new Rheumy made the mistake of reading it… :wink:
The spinal fusion looks a lot like DISH, so I think that is more accurate, but the SIJ is a big question mark! If it shows inflammation like it did on the US imaging, she will have a tough time trying to poo poo that !
I will post some photos of my pots, and flutes…

1 Like

Yes, I will not let disease and pain stop me from having fun! It is usually throw two pots and then go lay down for a while, cleaning up the wheel is harder then throwing!
Yes, we have a “bull” alert on the Rheumy, I will wait to spring it on her, after she gives me the next ethics talk…

Good news on the Remicade, isn’t it? And best of luck for the MRI and I’d so love to be a fly on the wall when you next talk to your rheumy! Love to see pics of the pots and flutes too.

Yes, I am amazed how much better I feel! Should be a interesting meeting, it will be during my infusion…
Okay, I will post photos right now!

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

You should put them on the dedicated thread - have a look at the list of topics.

1 Like

Just a caution on Remicade… They often premedicate with IV tylenol and some benadryl to avoid any reaction. It does make you feel better.

(It is also an old ER trick to make you feel better and get you out the door when the doc really doesn’t want to mess with you)

1 Like

I had that on the first two infusions, I felt high, when they gave me all the pre drugs, it was much better without it!