Recently Diagnosed

Hello everyone...I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about two months ago. I'm 32 years old and recently started a treatment plan. I guess my biggest challenge so far has been the pain in my left foot. I'm a runner and have been having a lot of trouble getting going. The no alcohol part hasn't been easy either! Has anyone else suffered from a bad case of psoriatic nails? Will the methotrexate help with that? Well this seems like a great group....it's already been a big help.

Welcome! Nail psoriasis is quite common with PsA, and can be difficult to treat. To answer your question, MTX should help with the nail psoriasis, but it depends on the dose and how your body reacts on how much it helps.

My nails were TERRIBLE! Within a month of starting Humira, all of my Psoriais went away. I’ve been lucky with pretty fast results with the meds as far as psoriasis symptoms. Not so much for the PsA, but I will take it. I never realized how much psoriasis actually bothered me, in fact I thought it didn’t bother me at all, until if didn’t have it anymore. It affected my life way more than I thought it did. Hopping you find a wonder drug for it too. Welcome!

Welcome, GeorgiePorgie. I can totally relate, my pain started in my left foot as well and I also struggled with not being able to enjoy my normal glasses of wine although, in the end after I whined about it at every visit, my doctor conceeded that sharing a bottle of wine with my hubby on a Saturday evening was highly unlikely to do me any harm (and they were monitoring my liver anyway with the monthly blood tests) ..... and it didn't, although I was only on methotrexate for a few months. I have only one bad psoriatic nail, the thumb on my right hand. I had bad psoriasis on this thumb way back which has damaged the nail bed, the derm has told me it will now always be like this. It can be quite well disguised by gel nail polish .... but I'm guessing this probably not your thing ....... I feel sorry for you chaps who can't employ quite as many make-up tricks as us gals! You'll find lots of support here ...... and hang in there with the methotrexate.

Thank you all for the encouragement....I appreciate the kind words.

I've been on methotrexate now for 5 weeks and actually feel that it's working. Most of my joint pain is in my left foot, my right shoulder, and my jaw. Although I still deal with the daily pain I'm no longer limping around on what felt like a badly sprained foot. I'm really trying to find the silver lining in all of this. At the very least I'll be living a healthier lifestyle!

Hi Georgieporgie (and all)

I’m new here too and I think we have a fair bit in common - I’m a 33 yr old male recently diagnosed with psa and have just taken my 6th instalment of methotrexate today. I was a keen runner and cricketer up until around June when my knee swelled up then soon other joints became affected. After 3 months of misdiagnosis the penny dropped and I was referred to rheumatology. I never really had suffered with psoriasis of any sort and it is still mild now (I have patches on my knees and elbows) although my nose gets very red and inflamed which gets to me - I imagine people think I have a drink problem and drinker’s nose which couldn’t be further from the truth!

Anyhow it’s been a really rough 6 months for me and my family. I have 3 young boys and still can’t carry our 1 yr old around. I’ve been so exhausted and achy beyond belief and work has been very tough. No exercise has been one of the worst things and there doesn’t seem to be much of a finish line in sight. My CRP levels havent changed after 6 wks treatment so I hope the MTX will kick in soon. Does anyone know what a reasonable level of CRP is in blood tests? I think I’m at 54 as of last week and really desperate to get it down. Is 6 weeks too short a time to know if the drugs are working?

Anyhow sorry for the ramble and I look forward to sharing experiences with you guys over the coming days and weeks. Merry Xmas to all.

Ali

I have a double martini at least 4 days a week, and am on methotrexate and Humera, and my liver function has never been a problem. My doctor never told me not to have a drink, I think it helps me sleep a bit, and is a small relief from all the crap I deal with on a daily basis,